display resolution changes on its own

I'm using a new Dell Inspiron 6000 and when I first started it up the display
resolution was set at 1920 x 1200. Icons and text were way too small so I
changed to 1280 x 768 and things looked good.

Then I proceeded to set up secondary user accounts in WinXP Home, as well as
the McAfee privacy service that came pre-loaded. Now, at unpredictable and
inconsistent times, the screen resolution changes back to 1920 x 1200 upon
logon. I am not using Fast User Switching and this happens on both
administrator and limited user accounts.

Is there a way to permanently lock the screen resolution so it won't change
at Win logon?
--
Andy.

As in unpredictable, do you mean after someone else (another user) has
logged on/off? If so, did they change the screen resolution to their
liking? If so, then this is why, natively XP only supports one screen
resolution setting per 'machine', not per 'user' as Win9x OS's did. Check
out Doug Knox's page, he has an add-on utility to allow this to be set per
'user' instead of per 'machine'.

http://www.dougknox.com/index.html

called XP User Display Settings v2.0, under Win XP Utilities.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"andyd" <andyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm using a new Dell Inspiron 6000 and when I first started it up the
> display
> resolution was set at 1920 x 1200. Icons and text were way too small so I
> changed to 1280 x 768 and things looked good.
>
> Then I proceeded to set up secondary user accounts in WinXP Home, as well
> as
> the McAfee privacy service that came pre-loaded. Now, at unpredictable
> and
> inconsistent times, the screen resolution changes back to 1920 x 1200 upon
> logon. I am not using Fast User Switching and this happens on both
> administrator and limited user accounts.
>
> Is there a way to permanently lock the screen resolution so it won't
> change
> at Win logon?
> --
> Andy.

Actually, it's just the opposite of what I've read about in most tech support
forums. I want all users to have the same resolution all the time. When I
say "unpredictable," I mean that I can use the computer 3 or 4 times and then
my son will log on and his resolution has changed from what it was when I was
on. Also, my son has used the the computer several times in a row and the
resolution has changed even though he is logging on as the same user. Very
perplexing.
--
Andy.