Sound Distorted/garbled

I've just recently been having a problem with the sound on the computer
running XP Home. When windows loads, the sound is "garbled" as though the
processor is busy with other tasks and can't process the sound. The same
thing happens when I try to listen to any file using WMP/another program. I
can't think the processor is at fault as the program could be the only thing
open at the time.

Any thoughts?

Here's a good place to start:

"Resources for Troubleshooting Sound Problems in Windows XP"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307918

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."