PC freezing due to unknown problem. Help!

My computer has a problem, and I can't figure out what the problem is. When I
turn it on, it works normally for a while, but eventually, it starts to
freeze up. It freezes for about 10 seconds, and then it will work for a
minute, freeze for another 10 seconds, work for a minute, and then keeps
doing so until I restart the computer.

There is no program that causes this to happen. It just happens, even if I'm
not using the computer. I've scanned for viruses using Norton Anti-Virus,
spyware using Spy Sweeper, and adware using Ad-Aware, and all scans found
nothing. I've done system restore AND recover in an attempt to fix the
problem, but it does nothing. I've deleted all unnecessary programs that I
have added to the computer, so I am certain I have enough memory to be
running normal. Any information and help that people can give would be useful
to me, so please help me out!
1 answer Last reply
More about freezing unknown problem help

    Sounds like a virus or spyware. It could be worth your while to scan your
    computer with an online scanner from a different company. Spyware, in
    particular, can be very difficult to track down.

    Otherwise, work with Task Manager open and 'always on top', with the list of
    processes sorted by CPU usage (highest to lowest). See what process(es) take
    up your CPU time when your computer freezes.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "BBQ Bert" <BBQ Bert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My computer has a problem, and I can't figure out what the problem is.
    When I
    > turn it on, it works normally for a while, but eventually, it starts to
    > freeze up. It freezes for about 10 seconds, and then it will work for a
    > minute, freeze for another 10 seconds, work for a minute, and then keeps
    > doing so until I restart the computer.
    >
    > There is no program that causes this to happen. It just happens, even if
    I'm
    > not using the computer. I've scanned for viruses using Norton Anti-Virus,
    > spyware using Spy Sweeper, and adware using Ad-Aware, and all scans found
    > nothing. I've done system restore AND recover in an attempt to fix the
    > problem, but it does nothing. I've deleted all unnecessary programs that I
    > have added to the computer, so I am certain I have enough memory to be
    > running normal. Any information and help that people can give would be
    useful
    > to me, so please help me out!

Computers Microsoft Windows XP