Lazerous

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005
I am about to assemble my new system and I have a nagging question. I bought an ASUS K8N-E Mobo and it says that it should be fastened to the stand-offs by all 9 holes. Herein lies the problem. I looked at the mobo and indeed there are 9 holes to fasten it to the chassis but the case I bought only has 6 stand-offs attached to it. I'm not even certain that all 6 of those even line up with the mobo.

Here is my question. What is the best way to add more stand-offs to the chassis? Do new holes have to be drilled and then do they need to be threaded with a tap set?

There's going to be a fair amount of weight on this mobo so i don't want there to be an inordinate amount of flexing or vibration going on. Is it customary to follow the mobo manufacturer's guidelines when attaching it? (I assume so)

Ok so that was more than 1 question. LOL If anyone can answer these it would be awesome! ;)

AMD 64 3700+,ASUS K8N-E Deluxe-250gb,1.5 gb PC3200,Gigabyte GeForce 6800gt 256mb,Audigy 2 ZS , 2-36.7gb 10,000 rpm Raptors/Raid 0, Thermaltake butterfly 480 watt PSU , + asst. other amenities.....
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lazerous on 01/05/05 10:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Standard cases have removable standoffs, threaded holes for standoffs, and a bag of hardware that includes extra standoffs. You don't have to drill holes to mount standoffs, the holes are supposed to already be there.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>