Deleting registry keys

There are some registry keys I need to delete and Windows won't let me do
it. I don't want any namby pamby warnings about deleting registry keys. I
know what I need to do and I want someone to tell me how to force Windows to
let me delete them. This is all the result of using non-XP certified
drivers for something that didn't uninstall cleanly.

Logon as local administrator, take ownership, then delete.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Mister Scary" wrote:
| There are some registry keys I need to delete and Windows won't let me do
| it. I don't want any namby pamby warnings about deleting registry keys.
| know what I need to do and I want someone to tell me how to force Windows
| let me delete them. This is all the result of using non-XP certified
| drivers for something that didn't uninstall cleanly.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP

Mister Scary wrote:
> There are some registry keys I need to delete and Windows won't let
> me do it. I don't want any namby pamby warnings about deleting
> registry keys. I know what I need to do and I want someone to tell
> me how to force Windows to let me delete them. This is all the
> result of using non-XP certified drivers for something that didn't
> uninstall cleanly.

There is no useful information in that leak.

I did have an idea of my own. I booted into safe mode and logged on as the
administrator. Didn't help.

"Mister Scary" <daniel_newhouse@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> There is no useful information in that leak.

There is no useful information in that link.

I think I see a problem. I try to communicate by implication in order to
convey more information in fewer words, and people fail to comprehend it.

Instead I will be very specific and go through it step by step. I used
regedit to try to edit my registry key. I was manually deleting registry
keys after a device driver did not uninstall properly. Windows does not
allow me to delete a few of the registry keys I need to delete. I get an
error message box. The title of the box is :"Error Deleting Key." The
message of the box is "Cannot delete key <insert key name hee>: Error while
deleting key."

Now everyone should be able to understand the problem.

Perhaps its a question of permissions...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310426
has the following...

Assigning Permissions to a Registry Key
1. Click the key that you want to assign permissions.
2. On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
3. Click the group or user name that you want to work with.
4. Assign one of the following access levels to the key: . Select the
Allow check box for Read to give permission to read the key contents, but
not save any changes.
. Select the Allow check box for Full Control to give permission
to open, edit, and take ownership of the key.

5. To grant special permission in the key, click Advanced, and then
double-click the user or group that you want to assign special access. Under
Permissions, select the Allow or the Deny check box for each permission you
want to allow or deny.

> "Mister Scary" <daniel_newhouse@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> There is no useful information in that leak.
>>
> There is no useful information in that link.
>
> I think I see a problem. I try to communicate by implication in order to
> convey more information in fewer words, and people fail to comprehend it.
>
> Instead I will be very specific and go through it step by step. I used
> regedit to try to edit my registry key. I was manually deleting registry
> keys after a device driver did not uninstall properly. Windows does not
> allow me to delete a few of the registry keys I need to delete. I get an
> error message box. The title of the box is :"Error Deleting Key." The
> message of the box is "Cannot delete key <insert key name hee>: Error
> while deleting key."
>
> Now everyone should be able to understand the problem.

Yes, this fixed it. Thanks.

"WRH" <no_spam@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> Perhaps its a question of permissions...
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310426
> has the following...
>
> Assigning Permissions to a Registry Key
> 1. Click the key that you want to assign permissions.
> 2. On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
> 3. Click the group or user name that you want to work with.
> 4. Assign one of the following access levels to the key: . Select the
> Allow check box for Read to give permission to read the key contents, but
> not save any changes.
> . Select the Allow check box for Full Control to give
> permission to open, edit, and take ownership of the key.
>
> 5. To grant special permission in the key, click Advanced, and then
> double-click the user or group that you want to assign special access.
> Under Permissions, select the Allow or the Deny check box for each
> permission you want to allow or deny.
>

> "Mister Scary" <daniel_newhouse@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mister Scary" <daniel_newhouse@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> There is no useful information in that leak.
>>>
>> There is no useful information in that link.
>>
>> I think I see a problem. I try to communicate by implication in order to
>> convey more information in fewer words, and people fail to comprehend it.
>>
>> Instead I will be very specific and go through it step by step. I used
>> regedit to try to edit my registry key. I was manually deleting registry
>> keys after a device driver did not uninstall properly. Windows does not
>> allow me to delete a few of the registry keys I need to delete. I get an
>> error message box. The title of the box is :"Error Deleting Key." The
>> message of the box is "Cannot delete key <insert key name hee>: Error
>> while deleting key."
>>
>> Now everyone should be able to understand the problem.

TRENDING THREADS