Registry checking software

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Is there any software out there which checks a registry to see if all XP
features which should be there are actually there or have been removed?

I am having problems with the CD burning feature of XP Pro SP2. It gets as
far as BURN CD and then pretends (without even checking the drive) that
there is no writable CD in the drive. And it wont write to any drives I try
to use (except a SCSI one I just installed becuase I was desperate to back
up some data using Sony Extreme CD) Explorer can see it and if there are
files on it, read from it. If there aren't, it can identify it, it's just
that the embedded CD burning feature wont burn to it. (there again, nor
would any software I installed, Easy CD Creator 5, Nero 5, Burnatonce etc (I
DID remove them properly and reinstate the CD reading feature as set out on
the MS site when the uninstall process removed the CDs from explorer).

Also, suddenly iTunes started giving me problems: These problems started
when I went into iTunes one day and was told that something had corrupted
something or other on the CD reading side and that I could correct this by
reinstalling iTunes

When I did, it worked properly and started to import the CD. But at track
15, it suddenly stopped with the error message that there was suddenly no CD
in the drive.

After that it hasn't RECORDED any CDs at all, it has merely taken the
descriptive data off each one I put in and stored it in its database: But it
wont RECORD the music on the CD into the library, only the data from the CD.
These two problems must be related and must be something to do with
something being corrupted in the registry

Bud

"news.microsoft.com" <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote in message
> Is there any software out there which checks a registry to see if all XP
> features which should be there are actually there or have been removed?
>
> I am having problems with the CD burning feature of XP Pro SP2. It gets
> as far as BURN CD and then pretends (without even checking the drive) that
> there is no writable CD in the drive. And it wont write to any drives I
> try to use (except a SCSI one I just installed becuase I was desperate to
> back up some data using Sony Extreme CD) Explorer can see it and if there
> are files on it, read from it. If there aren't, it can identify it, it's
> just that the embedded CD burning feature wont burn to it. (there again,
> nor would any software I installed, Easy CD Creator 5, Nero 5, Burnatonce
> etc (I DID remove them properly and reinstate the CD reading feature as
> set out on the MS site when the uninstall process removed the CDs from
> explorer).
>
> Also, suddenly iTunes started giving me problems: These problems started
> when I went into iTunes one day and was told that something had corrupted
> something or other on the CD reading side and that I could correct this by
> reinstalling iTunes
>
> When I did, it worked properly and started to import the CD. But at track
> 15, it suddenly stopped with the error message that there was suddenly no
> CD in the drive.
>
> After that it hasn't RECORDED any CDs at all, it has merely taken the
> descriptive data off each one I put in and stored it in its database: But
> it wont RECORD the music on the CD into the library, only the data from
> the CD. These two problems must be related and must be something to do
> with something being corrupted in the registry

try out,
run the script on line 23 right side.
Probably isn't that simple but something to try.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

There is no standard as no two registries are the same. Even the registries
of two identical computers will have different registry sizes and structure.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"news.microsoft.com" <fountainpen@amexol.net> wrote in message
> Is there any software out there which checks a registry to see if all XP
> features which should be there are actually there or have been removed?
>
> I am having problems with the CD burning feature of XP Pro SP2. It gets
> as far as BURN CD and then pretends (without even checking the drive) that
> there is no writable CD in the drive. And it wont write to any drives I
> try to use (except a SCSI one I just installed becuase I was desperate to
> back up some data using Sony Extreme CD) Explorer can see it and if there
> are files on it, read from it. If there aren't, it can identify it, it's
> just that the embedded CD burning feature wont burn to it. (there again,
> nor would any software I installed, Easy CD Creator 5, Nero 5, Burnatonce
> etc (I DID remove them properly and reinstate the CD reading feature as
> set out on the MS site when the uninstall process removed the CDs from
> explorer).
>
> Also, suddenly iTunes started giving me problems: These problems started
> when I went into iTunes one day and was told that something had corrupted
> something or other on the CD reading side and that I could correct this by
> reinstalling iTunes
>
> When I did, it worked properly and started to import the CD. But at track
> 15, it suddenly stopped with the error message that there was suddenly no
> CD in the drive.
>
> After that it hasn't RECORDED any CDs at all, it has merely taken the
> descriptive data off each one I put in and stored it in its database: But
> it wont RECORD the music on the CD into the library, only the data from
> the CD. These two problems must be related and must be something to do
> with something being corrupted in the registry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Well Systemworks seems to have a functoin which seems to know that some
inprocserver entry shouldnt be there and isnt needed.

It just cant look at (for example) a standard feature of an OS such as the
burn CD feature and know that it wont work because some subset of some key
is not set correctly. There must be SOMETHING which can do this?