I have XP Pro sp2.How can I improve and speed up the" start up" of my
computer.It takes anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes to load.

1. Remove viruses and spyware.

2. Reduce the number of programs that start with Windows.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"wilf frederick" <freedle@accesscomm.ca> wrote in message
> I have XP Pro sp2.How can I improve and speed up the" start up" of my
> computer.It takes anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes to load.

Bonjour *wilf frederick* :

> I have XP Pro sp2.How can I improve and speed up the" start up" of my
> computer.It takes anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes to load.

1- Use chkdsk to check the integrity of your hard disk:

Windows explorer | right click on disk icon |
properties | tab "tools" | "check errors" | check both options
ok and restart your computer

or

Start | Run | cmd | chkdsk X: /F /R /V ,
Where X= disk volume

For the results un applications log:
Souce : Winlogon
ID : 1001

2) Clean the temporary files:

Start | Run | cleanmgr.exe

3) Defrag the volumes of the HD :

Start | Run | Defrag.msc

For multiple volume defrag use this:
http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/defrag_all.htm

4) Check devices and drivers and upgrade them if needed

Start | Run | devmgmt.msc

a)
Devices error codes:
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=310123

b)
To find recent drivers

www.driverfiles.net [In Eng.]
or
[in Fr.]
www.eu.microsoft.com/france/telechargements/drivers/default.asp
www.touslesdrivers.com
www.clubic.com/pilotes.html

5) Check the services configuration:
The mandatories services must be started and in automatic mode
The others in manual...or disabled....

More info on W xp services:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

6) Check the applications started at boot and keep them
to the minimum.

instead of using msconfig used Starter from CodeStuff...
http://codestuff.mirrorz.com/

7) Control what's running on that PC with those tools:

Autorun
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml

Process Explorer :
(an enhanced Task Manager!)
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

8) Defrag the protected files ( Registry , hiberfil.sys, Pagefile.sys etc.)
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml

9) Safe & Cool ...
Keep your system free of malwares (virus, worms,spywares, etc.)
Keep your PC free of dust and check the temperatures with those tools:

Everest:
http://www.lavalys.com/

SpeedFan
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

A well maintened W xp system will boot with an average of 30 *seconds* like this:
http://cjoint.com/?gecBfKFRVL

:)

--
Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :)

«My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
http://climenole.serendipia.net