Slow Start

I have XP Pro sp2.How can I improve and speed up the" start up" of my
computer.It takes anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes to load.
2 answers Last reply
More about slow start

    1. Remove viruses and spyware.

    2. Reduce the number of programs that start with Windows.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    "You can do it if you try."

    "wilf frederick" <freedle@accesscomm.ca> wrote in message
    > I have XP Pro sp2.How can I improve and speed up the" start up" of my
    > computer.It takes anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes to load.

    Bonjour *wilf frederick* :

    > I have XP Pro sp2.How can I improve and speed up the" start up" of my
    > computer.It takes anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes to load.

    1- Use chkdsk to check the integrity of your hard disk:

    Windows explorer | right click on disk icon |
    properties | tab "tools" | "check errors" | check both options
    ok and restart your computer

    or

    Start | Run | cmd | chkdsk X: /F /R /V ,
    Where X= disk volume

    For the results un applications log:
    Souce : Winlogon
    ID : 1001

    2) Clean the temporary files:

    Start | Run | cleanmgr.exe

    3) Defrag the volumes of the HD :

    Start | Run | Defrag.msc

    For multiple volume defrag use this:
    http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/defrag_all.htm

    4) Check devices and drivers and upgrade them if needed

    Start | Run | devmgmt.msc

    a)
    Devices error codes:
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=310123

    b)
    To find recent drivers

    www.driverfiles.net [In Eng.]
    or
    [in Fr.]
    www.eu.microsoft.com/france/telechargements/drivers/default.asp
    www.touslesdrivers.com
    www.clubic.com/pilotes.html

    5) Check the services configuration:
    The mandatories services must be started and in automatic mode
    The others in manual...or disabled....

    More info on W xp services:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

    6) Check the applications started at boot and keep them
    to the minimum.

    instead of using msconfig used Starter from CodeStuff...
    http://codestuff.mirrorz.com/

    7) Control what's running on that PC with those tools:

    Autorun
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml

    Process Explorer :
    (an enhanced Task Manager!)
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

    8) Defrag the protected files ( Registry , hiberfil.sys, Pagefile.sys etc.)
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml

    9) Safe & Cool ...
    Keep your system free of malwares (virus, worms,spywares, etc.)
    Keep your PC free of dust and check the temperatures with those tools:

    Everest:
    http://www.lavalys.com/

    SpeedFan
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

    A well maintened W xp system will boot with an average of 30 *seconds* like this:
    http://cjoint.com/?gecBfKFRVL

    :)

    --
    Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

    «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
    http://climenole.serendipia.net

Computers Microsoft Windows XP