HP PC System recovery Problem

I was trying to put back the original programs on my pc, but using the non
destructive recovery. I totally forgot to back up my files, and did not
create a restore point prior. Now once my pc was finished restoring, it
rebooted and i had to do the whole firstime pc thing again(?), so I didn't
really find that too bad, but upon loading up i noticed that original pc
profile was nowhere to be seen, and now 15Gigs of space i had on my drive is
now used up, and i have no idea how to revert back to my original Windows
setup. Please someone help me, is there some way of returning to that
partition on my drive, I have over 2years of info on it and I know it's still
there, because now my drive space is about used up. Help is greatly
appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about system recovery problem

    NYC, did you use XP System Restore or a HP recover Utility? Did you
    wind up with a fresh version of WinXP?
    "HP PC in NYC" <HP PC in NYC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I was trying to put back the original programs on my pc, but using the non
    > destructive recovery. I totally forgot to back up my files, and did not
    > create a restore point prior. Now once my pc was finished restoring, it
    > rebooted and i had to do the whole firstime pc thing again(?), so I didn't
    > really find that too bad, but upon loading up i noticed that original pc
    > profile was nowhere to be seen, and now 15Gigs of space i had on my drive
    > is
    > now used up, and i have no idea how to revert back to my original Windows
    > setup. Please someone help me, is there some way of returning to that
    > partition on my drive, I have over 2years of info on it and I know it's
    > still
    > there, because now my drive space is about used up. Help is greatly
    > appreciated.

    I used the HP system recover that's installed on the HD version 1.8. After
    trying to figure out what happened, I'm really at a loss. No idea how to get
    back my original information, but i know it's still there, because now I have
    almost no space on a 80gig drive that had 15+ gigs before this disaster. Is
    there anything I can do to have the PC return to the boot partition that is
    the default one. While using msconfig to boot the pc into safe mode, i
    noticed a hidden folder "Default User", but once the PC is booted normally
    that folder is no longer viewable and almost nothing works, cannot download
    anything to the drive, but i do have internet access on it.

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > NYC, did you use XP System Restore or a HP recover Utility? Did you
    > wind up with a fresh version of WinXP?
    > "HP PC in NYC" <HP PC in NYC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I was trying to put back the original programs on my pc, but using the non
    > > destructive recovery. I totally forgot to back up my files, and did not
    > > create a restore point prior. Now once my pc was finished restoring, it
    > > rebooted and i had to do the whole firstime pc thing again(?), so I didn't
    > > really find that too bad, but upon loading up i noticed that original pc
    > > profile was nowhere to be seen, and now 15Gigs of space i had on my drive
    > > is
    > > now used up, and i have no idea how to revert back to my original Windows
    > > setup. Please someone help me, is there some way of returning to that
    > > partition on my drive, I have over 2years of info on it and I know it's
    > > still
    > > there, because now my drive space is about used up. Help is greatly
    > > appreciated.

    Have you tried here. Just type in your Desktop Model and Model Number.
    Look in FAQ's and System Recovery.
    http://www.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html?pageDisplay=support
    "HP PC in NYC" <HP PC in NYC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I was trying to put back the original programs on my pc, but using the non
    > destructive recovery. I totally forgot to back up my files, and did not
    > create a restore point prior. Now once my pc was finished restoring, it
    > rebooted and i had to do the whole firstime pc thing again(?), so I didn't
    > really find that too bad, but upon loading up i noticed that original pc
    > profile was nowhere to be seen, and now 15Gigs of space i had on my drive
    > is
    > now used up, and i have no idea how to revert back to my original Windows
    > setup. Please someone help me, is there some way of returning to that
    > partition on my drive, I have over 2years of info on it and I know it's
    > still
    > there, because now my drive space is about used up. Help is greatly
    > appreciated.

    I tried, but with the way the PC is now after this restore, i can't download
    anything from the internet, almost no programs work correctly. Lots of unable
    to access files and such errors.

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > Have you tried here. Just type in your Desktop Model and Model Number.
    > Look in FAQ's and System Recovery.
    > http://www.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html?pageDisplay=support
    > "HP PC in NYC" <HP PC in NYC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I was trying to put back the original programs on my pc, but using the non
    > > destructive recovery. I totally forgot to back up my files, and did not
    > > create a restore point prior. Now once my pc was finished restoring, it
    > > rebooted and i had to do the whole firstime pc thing again(?), so I didn't
    > > really find that too bad, but upon loading up i noticed that original pc
    > > profile was nowhere to be seen, and now 15Gigs of space i had on my drive
    > > is
    > > now used up, and i have no idea how to revert back to my original Windows
    > > setup. Please someone help me, is there some way of returning to that
    > > partition on my drive, I have over 2years of info on it and I know it's
    > > still
    > > there, because now my drive space is about used up. Help is greatly
    > > appreciated.

    HPNYC, if I were you I would remove my hard drive and connect it to a
    friends computer. As Master on the Secondary
    IDE channel. ( Motherboard Connector ). Then you could explore the
    drive remove important files and then do a System
    Recovery on your Computer.

    "HP PC in NYC" <HP PC in NYC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I was trying to put back the original programs on my pc, but using the non
    > destructive recovery. I totally forgot to back up my files, and did not
    > create a restore point prior. Now once my pc was finished restoring, it
    > rebooted and i had to do the whole firstime pc thing again(?), so I didn't
    > really find that too bad, but upon loading up i noticed that original pc
    > profile was nowhere to be seen, and now 15Gigs of space i had on my drive
    > is
    > now used up, and i have no idea how to revert back to my original Windows
    > setup. Please someone help me, is there some way of returning to that
    > partition on my drive, I have over 2years of info on it and I know it's
    > still
    > there, because now my drive space is about used up. Help is greatly
    > appreciated.

Hewlett Packard System Recovery Windows XP