Hi,

Is there a way to reinstate the respective icons on items on the Start Menu?
I found that, after a system recovery, several icons have been replaced with
the generic (first one in shell32.dll). Some of the items do not also show a
path to the executable but they work.

Certain file types - PDF, DOC.. - are also missing their icons.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

SKS

To fix your problem, you can run TweakUI for Windows XP Click the "Repair" link,
then in the right pane of TweakUI, click on the pull-down and choose "Rebuild Icons".
Click "Repair Now", then "OK" to close the dialog box.

Download and install TweakUI:

Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP (TweakUI)

After installing, go to Start > Programs > PowerToys for Windows XP >
TweakUI.

Rebuild Icons
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairicons.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"SKS" wrote:

| Hi,
|
| Is there a way to reinstate the respective icons on items on the Start Menu?
| I found that, after a system recovery, several icons have been replaced with
| the generic (first one in shell32.dll). Some of the items do not also show a
| path to the executable but they work.
|
| Certain file types - PDF, DOC.. - are also missing their icons.
|
| Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
|
| SKS

Thanks. I do have TweakUI installed but somehow missed the Rebuild Icon
feature earlier! It did take care of some of the standard icons (mostly MS
products). I did recover the other Start Menu item icons simply by deleting
them and reinstating the shortcuts (phew - took a while!) :)

Regards.

SKS

> To fix your problem, you can run TweakUI for Windows XP Click the
> "Repair" link,
> then in the right pane of TweakUI, click on the pull-down and choose
> "Rebuild Icons".
> Click "Repair Now", then "OK" to close the dialog box.
>
> Download and install TweakUI:
>
> Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP (TweakUI)
>
> After installing, go to Start > Programs > PowerToys for Windows XP >
> TweakUI.
>
> Rebuild Icons
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairicons.htm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "SKS" wrote:
>
> | Hi,
> |
> | Is there a way to reinstate the respective icons on items on the Start
> Menu?
> | I found that, after a system recovery, several icons have been replaced
> with
> | the generic (first one in shell32.dll). Some of the items do not also
> show a
> | path to the executable but they work.
> |
> | Certain file types - PDF, DOC.. - are also missing their icons.
> |
> | Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
> |
> | SKS

TRENDING THREADS