Is there a way to cut down fan noise???

Nitrom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
I am building a computer and have a 120 mm (rear) and 92 mm fan (front) which I tested out of the case and they are very silent. The moment I install the fans in the case and turn it on they are terribly noisy...actually it is very unpleasant to hear that vibration and wind noise.

Is there some kind of plastic or rubber washer that can be used to install the fans?...also some kind of ruber frame so that the fan does not touch the metal of the case?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've learned a lot about this problem, lots of little things. First of all, if the fan blade is close to the holes in the sheet metal, it will cause sheering turbulance of air comming in, making a terrible noise. This usually affects intake fans when the sheet metal is flat, or nearly flat. That's part of the reason many cases have a raised grill area in front of the fan, rather than a flat one.

If the holes are too small, it makes a whistling noise. Of course 1000 little wistles sound more like a turbine engine than a wistle.

There's one more thing that makes fans louder: Harmonic resonance. That's one reason I usually tell people to get thick steel cases.

OK, tacking the problems: I've actually cut out fan grills to get rid of the noise associated with the holes being to small or too close to the blades. Spacers help if the holes aren't very much too small and are simply too close to the blades.

The best way I can think of to isolate the fan from the panel to reduce resonance is to use gromets. If you can find sheet metal gromets with 1/8" to 3/16" holes, you can drill the mounting holes larger to fit the gromets, and install the fan against the gromets by putting a screw through the hole.

Of course that moves the fan away from the panel allowing it to suck inside air in from the sides. You can fix that with duct tape. Really! You can even buy black duct tape.

Where to find rubber gromets? Good question! Auto parts stores might have them. They're generally used to feed wires through sheet metal panels.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It would help, but probably not as well as gromets. That's because the gromet actually separates the screw from the sheet metal.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Nitrom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
ABOUT

OK, tacking the problems: I've actually cut out fan grills to get rid of the noise associated with the holes being to small or too close to the blades.

I am thinking to do exactly that... on the front intake case fan grill. And install on the empty hole the grill that came with the fan (round wire grill). What do you think.

Lazerous

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005
Here's something else that might help. A non-metallic fastener design to temorarily and also permanently attach fans to cases. Maybe used in conjunction with a Sil spacer it may cure the woes.

<A HREF="http://directron.com/fanfastener.html" target="_new">Push Lock Fan Fasteners</A>

<font color=green>AMD 64 3700+
ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
CORSAIR XMS (1gb) PC-3200
Gigabyte GF 6800gt 256mb
Audigy 2 ZS
2_36.7gb Raptors/Raid 0
Tt 480 watt PSU</font color=green>