Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Good PS2 RPGs

Last response: in Video Games
January 26, 2012 3:17:25 PM

Hrrrrmmmmm, yeah I want some good ps2 rpgs to play being extremely bored and having nothing better to do, I currently have

Persona 3 (don't like it very much, can't seem to find a story line... maybe im not far enough into the game :3)
Shin megami tensei: Degital Devil Saga 1+2( Halfway through one, LOVE THIS GAME) (Talent tree rock socks :D )
I tried getting into the FF series, I don't know where to start and what games I should avoid as being a waste of time :) 

More about : good ps2 rpgs

January 26, 2012 3:57:07 PM

Ico, Shadow of the colossus, devil may cry are 3 that come to mind.
January 26, 2012 4:24:19 PM

Surely... it has to be Final Fantasy ??
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 26, 2012 7:25:03 PM

what hairy stuff mentioned, the last 2 are action rpgs, not sure about first one.

classic jrpg is FF of course. You can start with FF7 which came out for PS1, however, if you don't have the PS1, PS2 crappy job at emulating the graphics (they just don't look as good as they look on PS1) then FF8 and 9. After that you get native ones from PS2 FFX and XII. Personally I'd say try FF7 if you're willing to bear the bad graphics, if not, start with FFX, it's got great colorful graphics and should last you a bit.

Wild Arms series is another great one. I only remember wild arms 3 on PS2, check if there's any other ones. Typically they don't relate to each other so it doesn't really matter which one to begin with.

Another undeniable favorite is Shadow Hearts. It has an interesting mechanic on top of the turn base. I think there's 3 or 4 games out to date. Start with the first one as these are canonical, AFAIK

if what hairy listed catches your interest another few to try is Metal Gear Solid series and Parasite Eve.

Oh an a tactical RPG for PS1 - Vanguard Bandits translated by working designs from a japanese version of epica stella. This is a classic and is relatively hard to find, but the quality of translation is top notch ( I wish there were more such games today that have so much hard work put into them)
January 27, 2012 4:05:00 PM

Alright, I think im gonna finish up devil saga then go into ICO or Odin Sphere :) 

ANYWHO, you guys mind if I change topic for half a second? I'm looking for a top down game on the PS2 I can't remember the name of it but it had something to do with graveyards, zombies, and there were like 3 characters you could chose from it was all top down shooting etc, and there was golems, big boss fights, gargoyles... Oh and you got edge points I think they were either to upgrade your skills or used in combat somehow? I dunno, but I really want to find that game again :D 

Anyone know what its called?

Best solution

January 27, 2012 4:31:58 PM

you sure that was a PS2 game? the edge points are from Hunter game series that I've recently played on original xbox and I think there's like 2 or 3 games total. ( hunter, huner reconing and hunter 2 or something like that) Maybe it came out on multiple platforms. The first one features 4 selectable player characters, the second one I tried has the little teenage girl (that you save in the first one) here she grew up (read grew huge boobs that she's not shy about) and now rolls around with original 4 hunters purifying the world from evil. The special abilities in this game are called EDGE, and as you battle you earn edge points (other word for exp)

Personally, this game is not very high quality, it's fun to play with friends but in single player there's just some moments that I have no idea how you would beat alone. I've seen better top down games (for instance Baldurs gate on PS2 is far better)

Hope that helps.
January 27, 2012 5:06:57 PM

AntiZig said:
you sure that was a PS2 game? the edge points are from Hunter game series that I've recently played on original xbox and I think there's like 2 or 3 games total. ( hunter, huner reconing and hunter 2 or something like that) Maybe it came out on multiple platforms. The first one features 4 selectable player characters, the second one I tried has the little teenage girl (that you save in the first one) here she grew up (read grew huge boobs that she's not shy about) and now rolls around with original 4 hunters purifying the world from evil. The special abilities in this game are called EDGE, and as you battle you earn edge points (other word for exp)

Personally, this game is not very high quality, it's fun to play with friends but in single player there's just some moments that I have no idea how you would beat alone. I've seen better top down games (for instance Baldurs gate on PS2 is far better)

Hope that helps.

Yup thats it, I hope to get another ps2 controller soon to play with my nephew once he comes over (read ps2 as cheap 5 dollar pc controller) lol
January 27, 2012 5:07:06 PM

Best answer selected by mouse24.
January 27, 2012 7:43:11 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!