New Case - Need Suggestions

InsaneMoose

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2003
Pretty much I'm just looking to buy a new case. For awhile I've been looking around at different cases because I've always thought that my case was running a tad bit hot. The only measurement of temperature I have seen is the thermometer that came with the case that happens to be sitting on my video card. Currently im using the Aspire X Dreamer II case, and it runs at around 70F/21.1C idle and probably around 95F/35C full load. The hottest I've managed to get it is around 120F/48.8C at full load during the summer (in arizona). These temps are based off the front LCD so im not sure exactly how accurate it is. I only spent around 60 bucks on this case and was trying to buy a higher quality case for 100++ USD. Keep in mind that I also lan alot, so a great LOOKING case is also very high on my list. The top things that are sticking out in my mind so far are the Thermaltake Xaser V or Thermaltake Shark.
Any suggestions towards other cases or more accurate ways to check my computer's temperature are greatly welcomed.

Just because im a hardware newb, doesn't mean I cant break things with a hammer.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i really like my thermaltake tsunami, its like the shark but tonned down a little bit. i dont care for the crazy front design or the side window on the shark. the hd cage is a little flimsy when you remove it, but once you put some drives in it it firms up. and the rubber gromets they put in the thing are a wonder full idea! i get no drive noise vibrations. and 120 mm fan in the front and the back is more ventilation than you should ever need.

this is my boomstick!

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Lian-Li:
PC-V1000(b)
PC-V1100(b) - Totally silenced case

Fan controllers will usually give you a fairly decent reading. Or just us MBM5 if your motherboard supports it. That software just grabs the readings off the motherboard. If you want a fan controller the Aerogate II is a very good controller for the price. The Fan-o-matic is the highest quality fan controller out there (and the only automatic one) but it comes in at $150 so it is a little out of most peoples budget :)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I was goona get a 2100 but then I realized I had nowhere to put it, lol. So I just got the 1200b.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
If you go with Thermaltake, the Shark is far superior. I cant compare this case with the Xaser because I have never owned the Xaser. I own both the Tsunami and the Shark however. The Tsunami is alot hotter and cramped for space. It has a flimsy HD cage and side panel fan is a total waste. The case isnt near as solid as the Sharks. The case is also much better looking than the Tsunami. The Shark has a removable MOBO tray and the HD rack is solid unlike the Tsunami. The biggest problem I have with the Tsunami is that the front door itself is solid, but the way that is mounted is poor in design. Also the finish on the Shark is a far superior finish. Its much more durable than the Tsunami finish and looks better also. I could go on about the reasons to choose the Shark over the Tsunami, if you would like more info send me an PM or just ask here in this post. The Lian Li cases mentioned are very high quality also, but as for the Thermaltake cases I can tell you for a fact that the Shark is the way to go.