Changin fan direction

LordVader717

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
I've recently bought a case fan, which says it can only be used for the rear of the casing. Because it only has a mount on one side, it can only be fastend in one way, so that it blows in the direction of the mount.
Because I want to use it for the front however, I was wondering if there was any simple way to change the revolution direction to create an opposite airflow and thus allowing me to mount it on the front. Any suggestions?

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Mark the mount holes from the holes in the case front. Use drill and small drill bit to drill holes in the fan frame. Use self-anchoring screws (standard on plastic fans) to secure the fan.

Or you can just buy a new fan for $9 US.

<font color=green><b><i>Lizards</font color=green></b> do <b>not</b> taste like <b><font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b>,<b> <font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b> tastes like <font color=green><b>lizard.</b></font color=green></i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most fans won't run backwards. Besides, the curvature of the blades is made for only one direction.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I may be thinking totally backwards, but couldnt you switch the airflow direction by simply changing the location that you mount the fan from the inside to the outside?

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
He's moving the fan from the inner rear of the case to the front rear. Apparently his fan only has holes in the rear fan frame. Picture the scenario: unscrews the fan from the case rear, moves fan to front of case (but still inside). Just needs to drill holes into the fan frame (on the front side).

I find it odd that this particular fan does not have mounting holes on both sides.

<font color=green><b><i>Lizards</font color=green></b> do <b>not</b> taste like <b><font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b>,<b> <font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b> tastes like <font color=green><b>lizard.</b></font color=green></i>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I thought that was odd myself. If the rear fan and the front fan are the same size, I guess he could switch the rear fan to the front if it has the mounting holes on both sides.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by mozzartusm on 01/16/05 01:30 AM.</EM></FONT></P>