I have just recently bought a custom gaming PC but can't run Deus Ex well.?

goodmandan

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
CPU: AMD FX 4100 Black Edition
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Motherboard: Gigabyte M68MT-S2P
Memory: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz (2x 4GB)
Hard Drives: 500GB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case: Xigmatek Asgard
PSU: 400W Xigmatek

As you can see these are pretty decent specs. I have seen plenty of YouTube viedos running Battlefield 3 on a computer with the exact same specs as these on High to Ultra settings with no problems at all. But I cannot play Deus Ex Human Revolution without there being an insane amount of lag, I didn't even have this problem on my old computer with much worse specs. Can anyone suggest a solution?

What resolution are you trying to run? At 1080p the 550Ti may not be enough to get smooth framerates with all the DirectX11 features enabled. Your older system likely didn't have a DX11 card, so you couldn't use those features. At 1080p the 550Ti certainly isn't running BF3 on ultra, it might be able to just barely do it at 720p. The 560Ti can run BF3 on ultra, it is much more powerful, are you sure you didn't see vids with that card.

Other things to check would be heat, use HWMonitor to record your temps, if your CPU or GPU temps are too high, that will cause thermal throttling which will kill your performance. Your power supply may also be an issue. Good quality 400 Watt PSUs are pretty close to the edge when it comes to powering the 550Ti, Xigmatek isn't exactly a top tier PSU manufacturer, another possibility is your PSU can't deliver enough juice for your video card to run at full power, hence the poor performance.

+1^^^ to all of that. Xigmatek are a budget builder with aspirations to be a mid level player. there psu's are unreliable at giving the full rated power.
also the fx 4100 isnt a great gaming part. you would have done better to get a phenom 2 960 as the fx cpu's dont work that well on single threaded apps.
its cheap because it doesnt really perform... if you can send the system back with a note saying does not live up to advertised performance... ask them to replace the cpu and psu with decent 1s...

while your making up your mind, get the latest hotfixes. they wont help much but should give maybe 5 percent performance gains...

goodmandan

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

What I'm confused about really is that my old computer didn't have a problem with Dues Ex and it cost £100 less than this one. It had DX11 and the video card was the XFX Radeon 5670 which did the job fine, and supposedly the 550Ti is much better. The old computer also ran on a much less powerful PSU and had much less of pretty much everything, hence why I replaced it for this one. Which has turned out not to be able to play even more basic games. Thank you for answering anyway though.

The 550Ti is more powerful than the 5670, though not by a particularly huge margin, it's not powerful enough to really run a lot of the DX11 enhancements at high resolution. As I said above, check your temps. If they are in an acceptable range the problem is in all likelihood your power supply. Nvidia cards, especially on the lower end tend to draw a lot more power than their AMD counterparts. The 550Ti uses more than twice the amount of power that a 5670 draws. Your PSU may say it can deliver 400 Watts, but in all likelihood it really can't, and as a result you are getting very poor performance because your card is starved for power. If it isn't a thermal issue I would say get a good quality 450 Watt power supply, though you can go higher if you want to consider a more powerful GPU down the road. Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, Enermax, PC Power and Cooling, and XFX are good brands.

goodmandan

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

I have checked the tempuratures and there doesn't seem to be anything abnormal there, so I think I will invest into a more powerful PSU, because I have really looked at everything and I don't think it could be anything else.

Surely a power supply would cause instances of instability, and not slowness?

I don't believe in cards being starved of power, unless its to the degree that they act like the auxillaries supplies are unplugged. In which case it'd be a real dog. I ran Deus Ex on a GTX470, and it was nicely smooth, i'd expect a 550ti to be a bit worse, but not much. The 4100 could be behaving more like a hypertheaded dual than a quad I suppose. Can you run something like afterburner and cpu usage widget at the same time (with graphs) and see which is maxing out?

goodmandan

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

I woud usually come to the conclusion that it is the graphics card that is letting me down, but my older computer with a less good graphics card could play it really smoothly on medium to high settings. Whereas the 550ti which is better can barley play it all. I doubt the processor is to blame as there is numerous videos with people using the 4100 on Crysis 2 on Ultra settings. If the processor wasn't capable of running Deus Ex then what ever Graphics card they put it in, it wouldn't be able to run Crysis 2.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Hey, Deus Ex: HR, a great game crippled by consolization! Don't worry friend because my i5-2500k running at 4.8ghz and SINGLE gtx 570 run the game at a crisp 60-140 fps, WITH yes you guessed it, MICROSTUTTERS. Yes somehow this wonderful title that I personally waited on from the first mention has somehow managed to be irreparably marred by the fact that it was designed for consoles. Despite all of that, the game is still great and represents the best story-driven fps game around, but christ is it simultaneously disappointing.

Quick edit: After all my griping I decided to revisit DE:HR and begin tweaking. Setting anisotropic to 8x as opposed to 16x and increasing pre-rendered frames from 3 to 5 in NVCP actually smoothed out most of the microstutters. As long as you disable vsync and triple buffering (both settings in this game cause similar mouse lag) you don't incur much mouse lag from upping the pre-rendered. My max fps obviously didn't change, nor did my minimum as both were very fast. My frames upon second glance never go below 90 actually. In any case, this seems to have minimized the microstutters enough to where I don't notice them aside from a new area loading, which would be expected anyway. Hopefully this is helpful to some DE:HR players here on the forums. I can assure you it's no placebo effect. I made these changes and went back into the game looking specifically for microstuttering.

cpitts1

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

FINALLY! i have the same card and have been struggling with the annoying microstuttering, Thanks for the help!

what is your older card? This could be a Dx11 vs DX9 issue where your new card is struggling at DX11, whatabout tesselation?

550ti doesnt really have the grunt to run 1080p high dx11 settings... you should mange dx10 settings fine as my old 88gt manages 1080i low medium dx10...
your cpu is pretty poor though. its single core performance is not so much poor as dire.. it will work with things like photoshop quite well but for games it will bog the system down quite badly...
send the cpu back and get a phenom2 if you want to play games... i know this sounds daft as the 4100 is a new cpu. but trust me a phenom 2 will work better in this circumstance.