Disk Cleanup Utility Problem

Whenever I try to use the disk cleanup utility, it opens with 3 bars and just
sits there. Forever. I tried going to Start-Run-cleanmgr, but that didn't do
anything. How can I fix this, or at least delete all my temp files? It just
stopped working a few weeks ago. I haven't done anything to any settings that
would cause this.
3 answers Last reply
More about disk cleanup utility problem

    Hi shiloh_56401,

    If Disk Cleanup stops responding at "Scanning: Compress old files", follow
    the instructions in this MSKB article to resolve the problem:
    http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=812248
    or d/load the fix from here:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm (line 48, right-hand
    column -->Disk Cleanup-Compress Old Files Freezes)

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "shiloh_56401" <shiloh_56401@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Whenever I try to use the disk cleanup utility, it opens with 3 bars and
    just
    > sits there. Forever. I tried going to Start-Run-cleanmgr, but that didn't
    do
    > anything. How can I fix this, or at least delete all my temp files? It
    just
    > stopped working a few weeks ago. I haven't done anything to any settings
    that
    > would cause this.

    Bonjour *shiloh_56401* :

    > Whenever I try to use the disk cleanup utility, it opens with 3 bars and just
    > sits there. Forever. I tried going to Start-Run-cleanmgr, but that didn't do
    > anything. How can I fix this, or at least delete all my temp files? It just
    > stopped working a few weeks ago. I haven't done anything to any settings that
    > would cause this.

    Try this :

    1-
    Start | Run | regsvr32.exe dataclen.dll
    and check if cleanmgr.exe is OK.

    2-
    Don't use "Compress unused files"option
    check again

    3-
    Try again but in Safe Mode

    4-
    You can also clean manually the temp files in safe mode

    5-
    You can used this nice tool ( a new v. 3.0 is coming soon):
    http://www.buttuglysoftware.com/

    6-
    Also : may be the problem is not the cleanmgr but the disk...
    Check in the system log for disk errors:
    souce : disk
    errors : 7, 41, 55,

    a)
    Even there is no reported errors use chkdsk to check the integrity of your
    hard disk:

    Windows explorer | right click on disk icon |
    properties | tab "tools" | "check errors" | check both options
    ok and restart your computer

    or

    Start | Run | cmd | chkdsk X: /F /R /V ,
    Where X= disk volume

    For the results in applications log:
    Source : Winlogon
    ID : 1001

    b)
    and defrag the volumes of the HD :
    Start | Run | Defrag.msc

    For multiple volume defrag use this:
    http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/defrag_all.htm

    Tell us if one of those procedure fix the problem.

    :)

    --
    Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

    «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
    http://climenole.serendipia.net

    Try going to run,type:CLEANMGR /SAGESET Then adjust for folders for it
    to clean,then back to run,type:CLEANMGR /SAGERUN

    "shiloh_56401" wrote:

    > Whenever I try to use the disk cleanup utility, it opens with 3 bars and just
    > sits there. Forever. I tried going to Start-Run-cleanmgr, but that didn't do
    > anything. How can I fix this, or at least delete all my temp files? It just
    > stopped working a few weeks ago. I haven't done anything to any settings that
    > would cause this.

Microsoft Disk Cleanup Windows XP