SW:ToR Lag Spike / FPS Issues

Tags:
  • PC gaming
  • Lag
  • FPS
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
January 27, 2012 3:07:23 AM

Hey guys, experiencing some major lag/fps issues with swtor. I was running the game fine previous to the patch but seem to be lagging uncontrollably now going from around 60 fps standing still, to about 2 fps and freezing everytime i move 2 feet.

I have been scouting the forums and feel like ive exhausted all settings changes, tweaks, fixes. I am aware that my system is old and not up to scratch really for swtor in this day and age, but i am determined to try and get at least back to how i was playing previous to the latest patch.

Here is my DxDiag

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 1/27/2012, 11:40:47
Machine name: VINCERE-PC
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.111025-0338)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: P35-DS3
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 3588MB used, 754MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x68B8)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68B8&SUBSYS_21401462&REV_00
Display Memory: 1782 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1016 MB
Shared Memory: 766 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
Driver Name: aticfx32.dll,aticfx32.dll,aticfx32.dll,atiumdag.dll,atidxx32.dll,atiumdva.cap
Driver Version: 8.17.0010.1114 (English)
DDI Version: 11
BGRA Supported: Yes
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 12/6/2011 13:17:36, 778752 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes

More about : tor lag spike fps issues

January 27, 2012 4:27:47 AM

While this might not be of much help to you.. here's some stuff I've found and experienced.

Starting off, my rig is similar to yours. I have a Q6600 (@3.1GHz) in a EVGA nForce 680i board, 2GB of RAM, and recently upgraded to a GTX560Ti.

I played the SWTOR beta from the first couple months, and bought the game and played it. During beta, I had a 9800GTX+ SLI setup (and my Q6600 was at 2.8GHz), and the game ran perfectly, 50-60FPS constantly on the max settings. I bought the GTX560Ti for launch, thinking it would be an upgrade and since day 1 have had nothing but slowdowns and troubles on any settings.

Supposedly, in patch 1.2 they're supposed to be fixing the graphic issues. I haven't played the game in a week because now that I'm on Alderaan, the stuttering is terrible. I think a lot of it has to do with the type of compression they used on the textures. The beta install was close to 25GB, and now the retail install is 6-10GB.

I think it's just really a matter of luck honestly. I've heard of people with worse specs than mine that play perfectly, and people with 2600Ks (4-5GHz), 16GB of RAM and a GTX580 (or 3) who pretty much play a slideshow.

I've thought about buying more RAM to get to at least 4GB.. The game uses a lot of memory, so possibly upgrading to 4GB or more would be a cheap solution for the time being. I'd try it, but I'm buying a new rig next month so there's no point in spending $50 on RAM I could use for a month.

I would also try overclocking. The Q6600 is far from a dead processor, mine is still working like a champ after 3 years of being overclocked. I had a Thermaltake V1 for 3 years on it, and the fan just died a month ago. I was able to run 2.8GHz with no issue, at 45-50C. I upgraded to the Noctua D-14, because I can also use it on the new rig, and I was able to hit 3.1GHz at 38-41C.
m
l
January 27, 2012 2:46:55 PM

Thanks for replying, I have to agree i think it is a bit all over the place... according the forums even high end PC's having issues and some mid and low end aswell.

Im pretty new to overclocking, any suggestions for the Q6600? Just how i would go about it and what recommendations you'd have.

I have looked into new hardware and i will be purchasing a new rig just because i want to play most of the new games on the highest settings but yeah just saving as much of this as i can until i can afford something new
m
l
January 28, 2012 5:02:26 AM

I see you're using a Gigabyte P35-DS3 motherboard, those are not bad for overclocking. Did you build the PC yourself or is it from a manufacturer? You'll have to use a program like CPU-ID to figure out if you have a Q6600 B3 stepping (not so good for overclocking, and the one most PC companies like Dell or HP used) or a G0 stepping (the one you want for overclocking). Being that it is a Gigabyte board, I'm fairly sure it's not a Dell or an HP.

If you have a stock CPU fan, you're not going to get too much if any of a safe overclock. If you've never overclocked before, read every single tutorial you can possibly find on Google and then some. Overclockers.net is a great resource.

For your particular setup, with a little Googling I pulled up this:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258495-29-q6600-gigab...

If you can't get very far with what you have, or just don't feel comfortable I'd recommend not doing anything and keeping what you have until they come out with 1.2 (or a small patch soon) in March that fixes the stuttering. And if that doesn't fix it, if you can keep some parts you have, you should be able to build a computer for ~$400 that'll be leaps and bounds above what we have.
m
l