Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Should I buy a gaming mouse?

Last response: in Video Games
January 27, 2012 6:50:12 AM

Hello, I am currently considering purchasing a gaming mouse but am not sure whether it would be worth it for my needs. The people I know who use them are all competitive online gamers looking for the smallest edges in performance, whereas I am just looking for something that would feel better for playing singleplayer RPG's and action games. I am looking at two reasonably Razor mouse to replace my Logitech notebook mouse. Would playing the sorts of games I play feel more natural or enjoyable with a more advanced mouse, or would it just be a waste of money?

The mouse that I currently use:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cordless-Optical-Noteboo...

The two mice that I would choose between if I buy one:

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Abyssus-Precision-Optical-G...

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Deathadder-Infrared-Gaming-...

More about : buy gaming mouse

a b 4 Gaming
January 27, 2012 7:14:34 AM

Is the current mouse comfortable?
Score
January 27, 2012 7:18:50 AM

azeem40 said:
Is the current mouse comfortable?

Reasonably, yes. It doesn't stand out as being particularly comfortable, but I have no complaints with it even after extended sessions.
Score
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
January 27, 2012 7:24:11 AM

Then you are good. :) 
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 27, 2012 7:40:14 AM

the death adder is a good mouse. it also doesnt have acceleration from what i remember... which is essential in a gaming mouse for accuracy. i know the Lachesis had the option to turn acceleration off and on, so it may be a standard feature.

as for the 1 your using. its perfectly fine for mundane use but near useless for gaming. it has a low dpi and a poor poll rate so its well worth replacing it.
Score

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
January 27, 2012 1:25:09 PM

Hello,

I'd recommend go to a store and see if you like any other mouse designs in terms of comfort for your hand.

I recently switched from a generic logitec to a razer abyssus myself. To tell you the truth I'm not thrilled with it. It's a good mouse, but I don't see anything particularly revolutionary about it over my old one. The slightly new grip I got used to, it's comfortable, the buttons are good, but they are too long towards the back of the mouse (ie the button cut goes down to almost the middle of the mouse giving me a sharp edge on the right side where I have my ring finger resting, so it gets annoying during long game sessions.) Also, the mouse offers this high dpi setting that so far I've found no practical application for.

Long story short, if you feel comfortable with your current mouse seek a replacement along the same venue. There's no reason overpaying 2x the price if you're seeing the same functionality.
January 28, 2012 5:18:31 PM

AntiZig said:
Hello,

I'd recommend go to a store and see if you like any other mouse designs in terms of comfort for your hand.

I recently switched from a generic logitec to a razer abyssus myself. To tell you the truth I'm not thrilled with it. It's a good mouse, but I don't see anything particularly revolutionary about it over my old one. The slightly new grip I got used to, it's comfortable, the buttons are good, but they are too long towards the back of the mouse (ie the button cut goes down to almost the middle of the mouse giving me a sharp edge on the right side where I have my ring finger resting, so it gets annoying during long game sessions.) Also, the mouse offers this high dpi setting that so far I've found no practical application for.

Long story short, if you feel comfortable with your current mouse seek a replacement along the same venue. There's no reason overpaying 2x the price if you're seeing the same functionality.

Thank you, your reply makes a lot of sense, I will go to a store that sells mice whenever I can next and try out a few to compare how comfortable they are compared to my current mouse.
Score
January 28, 2012 5:18:38 PM

Best answer selected by MechaGaiden.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 28, 2012 6:46:36 PM

HEXiT said:
the death adder is a good mouse. it also doesnt have acceleration from what i remember... which is essential in a gaming mouse for accuracy. i know the Lachesis had the option to turn acceleration off and on, so it may be a standard feature.

as for the 1 your using. its perfectly fine for mundane use but near useless for gaming. it has a low dpi and a poor poll rate so its well worth replacing it.

To be honest, your brain is a far more complex computer than your desktop and its accessories. Your brain will start to compensate for things like acceleration pretty fast. I play FPS's pretty competitively, and I've used mice with prediction/angles snapping, acceleration, zero acceleration, no prediction, optical, laser, hell even trackball was fine. My gameplay always mimics itself despite the hardware. The real answer is to choose what is comfortable, so that your hardware becomes an afterthought, rather than a focal point of your gaming.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
January 28, 2012 8:01:32 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!