Hi All,

I'm sure this isn't this right place to ask this question but you guys are
all so clever, i really hope you can give me some advice.

I have two (related?) problems. I have a CD/DVD drive combo on my laptop (CD
writer, normal DVD player) recently the CD part stopped working all together,
won't play. Although the DVD does still work fine. I have tested the CDs i am
trying on other computers they are fine, i have tried a CD lens cleaner (but
that wouldn't even run). I decided that perhaps i had installed something
that had broken a driver or something so i attempted to run system restore
however it seems to have 'disappeared' the tab on system properties has
disappeared, the shortcuts etc from the help files do not work (click and
nothing happens) but when i view the log in the system restore folder it
seems to still be creating its restore points once a week as normal but when
i click on the icon nothing happens (i have tried logging in under admin and
the same happens). The laptop is a compaq 922, i'm running WinXP and the
CD/DVD is a HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4240N and its hardware properties say 'this
device is working properly'.

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could advise me on either of these
problems and if anyone knows if they could be related.

Thanks
Emma

Jim

"Emma Hope" <EmmaHope@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm sure this isn't this right place to ask this question but you guys are
> all so clever, i really hope you can give me some advice.
>
> I have two (related?) problems. I have a CD/DVD drive combo on my laptop
(CD
> writer, normal DVD player) recently the CD part stopped working all
together,
> won't play. Although the DVD does still work fine. I have tested the CDs i
am
> trying on other computers they are fine, i have tried a CD lens cleaner
(but
> that wouldn't even run). I decided that perhaps i had installed something
> that had broken a driver or something so i attempted to run system restore
> however it seems to have 'disappeared' the tab on system properties has
> disappeared, the shortcuts etc from the help files do not work (click and
> nothing happens) but when i view the log in the system restore folder it
> seems to still be creating its restore points once a week as normal but
when
> i click on the icon nothing happens (i have tried logging in under admin
and
> the same happens). The laptop is a compaq 922, i'm running WinXP and the
> CD/DVD is a HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4240N and its hardware properties say
'this
> device is working properly'.
>
> I'd really appreciate it if anyone could advise me on either of these
> problems and if anyone knows if they could be related.
>
> Thanks
> Emma
It is likely that your CD/DVD drive has a hardware problem. Since the laser
light for a CD has a different wavelength than that for a DVD, it is not
unusual for one type to quit while the other works (and that is what
happened to mine). The only fix is to replace the drive.

It is also very unlikely that these two events have any common cause.

Jim

> "Emma Hope" <EmmaHope@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm sure this isn't this right place to ask this question but you
>> guys are all so clever, i really hope you can give me some advice.
>>
>> I have two (related?) problems. I have a CD/DVD drive combo on my
>> laptop
> (CD
>> writer, normal DVD player) recently the CD part stopped working all
> together,
>> won't play.

Hi, Emma

I have one of these drives that was working but now has a broken part. If
you've given up on it and want to sell it, please let me know.

Thanks,

Josh