Best DS/3DS game

The World Ends with You - revolutionary play style and art direction, there's simply nothing to compare this one to. It grabbed a few games of the year award when it came out. Definitely check it out.

Castlevania series are pretty darn good platformers if you like 2d side scrollers. The latest one ( Ecclesia is the best to date)

if you like JRPG then FF 3 & 4 remakes (3d), grimoire of the rift (2d) are pretty good.
Chrono Trigger
I keep hearing a lot about shin megami tensei series but I didn't get into them.

Phoenix wright series and in the same category Hotel Dusk & Last Window (sequel to hotel dusk).

Metal Slug remake for DS. This was the best arcade game back in the day and it's still great on DS.

I think that's about it, another few things you can check out since it's got interesting gameplay:
Knights in the Nightmare - tactical rpg of sorts but very interesting control scheme and very hard learning curve
Professor Layton series - if you like puzzles
Henry Hatsworth and the puzzling adventure - it's an arcade similar to 2d mario & sonic but has interesting mechanics to it

That's about all I can think of from the top of my head

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Awesome.

I have played the Phoenix Wright games and liked them - although they felt more like an interactive storybook that wouldn't progress unless you triggered the correct event.

I played Metal Slug Anthology on PSP and didn't really like any of the 5 games enough to warrant a purchase of the new one.

I have never played "The World Ends With You". I have heard good things about it.

I didn't want to play Dawn of Sorrow because I never played Aria of Sorrow. I did skip on Portrait of Ruin, but I enjoyed Order of Ecclesia. It was perhaps the only "Metroidvania" besides Circle of the Moon that I liked. I am more into Super Castlevania 4, Bloodlines, and above all, Rondo of Blood.

I will have to check out the other games you mentioned.

dawn of sorrow is the remake of aria for ds, it's the same game with dual screen feature thrown in.

I'll agree that Circle of the Moon was the best I've tried on a hand held until ecclesia came about (I so wanna say it brought the sexy back, :D, but it brought more classic aspects of castlevania back which they kind of abandoned in portait) Never the less, I liked the portait as well, even though I primarily played the girl over the guy (what can I say casting spells was significantly more fun).

I have no comment on the older ones since I never got into bloodlines because I felt that controls were too ridgid, but the other console castlevania that I believe is considered to be the best ever made is the one for PS1 with alucard and inverted castle (if you get the good ending).

Speaking of metroidvania, There were metroid games that I've played extensively, but hell I'm starting to think they were for GBA... hmm I think that may be the case, since I only remember metroid hunter on ds for sure.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

Aye, the metroid games you are referring to are Fusion and Zero Mission. They were excellent games that rank up with Super Metroid as the best in the series.

I didn't know about Dawn of Sorrow being a remake, I will have to check that out.

Symphony of the Night is the Castlevania is what you are referring to, and I hated it. It was WAY too easy for me.

I like my Castlevania like I like my vodka; strong and hard.

usbgtx550

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
I have to say my personal favorite would have to be final fantasy 3. I think I put around 30 hours into that game and my brother surpassed 100 hours during the summer. That one kingdom hearts 358 whatever it was game was pretty decent. Stopped playing though because some of those bosses will make you rage quite like never before.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I put quite a bit of time into FF3. I really enjoyed the class system, although I wasn't too fond of the constant grinding required to reach some of the better classes.

I think Chrono Trigger for the DS is probably the best RPG on that system, although FF3 is certainly an amazing game.

I never did get much into the Kingdom Hearts games.

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
Mario Kart DS is an amazing game, I give you that. However, I do find it odd that you call it your favorite game of the series.

I feel that Mario Kart 7 is the superior game, and for a number of reasons. Not only does it support download play (Shy guy) and multi-card play as did Mario Kart DS, but the online play is much, much deeper when compared to the former. For a 30 year old guy who lives in a small town, a deeper online mode is a big deal, seeing as how friends who play Mario Kart aren't exactly in abundance.

The new glide feature is amazing, and the fact that karts are submersible really adds a lot of fun variety to the gameplay. Also, being able to customize your kart is a brilliant and long overdue edition that is implemented so well that you would think they've been doing it for years. Plus, this is the best looking Mario Kart ever. Not even Mario Kart Wii looks so good. And the 3D implementation is brilliantly executed. It was not merely tacked on, it adds depth of field and helps make the gameplay the best in the series, and by far.

I do agree with you that Mario Kart DS is amazing. But I do wonder if you say without ever having played Mario Kart 7. If you have played it, I respect your opinion. But if you haven't played it, I strongly suggest getting it ASAP!

Sorry, I am just a pretty big Mario Kart fan (as if you can't tell).