Recover Windows System

XP Home
Won't boot. Continually goes through reboot. Blue screen message too fast
to read.
Safe Mode no different.
Hard drive checks OK.
CHKDSK checks OK.

Have the CD key on the enclosure but not the original disks.
Tried to reinstall windows using another XP Home CD but the install didn't
like the CD key that's on the enclosure. Original Windows was likely OEM.

I'd like suggestions on how to fix this without reformatting.

Thanks,

Fred
4 answers Last reply
More about recover windows system

    First, you'll need to get a replacement Windows XP CD:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

    Second, perform a "repair install" with your replacement Windows XP CD:

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User
    Microsoft Newsgroups

    "Fred Marshall" wrote:

    | XP Home
    | Won't boot. Continually goes through reboot. Blue screen message too fast
    | to read.
    | Safe Mode no different.
    | Hard drive checks OK.
    | CHKDSK checks OK.
    |
    | Have the CD key on the enclosure but not the original disks.
    | Tried to reinstall windows using another XP Home CD but the install didn't
    | like the CD key that's on the enclosure. Original Windows was likely OEM.
    |
    | I'd like suggestions on how to fix this without reformatting.
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Fred

    Well, it's an OEM install and the CD(s) have to come from the OEM (hp) under
    most circumstances.
    I'm trying to save time and don't mind saving a little money either - all
    legitimately.

    I should think I could repair or reinstall from any matching Windows CD as
    long as I have the license / COA for the system under repair. So, I'm
    wondering why it didn't work?

    The system remains unfixed and I'm trying to find a reasonable repair
    procedure to get it back.

    Thanks,

    Fred

    > First, you'll need to get a replacement Windows XP CD:
    >
    > How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246
    >
    > Second, perform a "repair install" with your replacement Windows XP CD:
    >
    > How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Fred Marshall" wrote:
    >
    > | XP Home
    > | Won't boot. Continually goes through reboot. Blue screen message too
    > fast
    > | to read.
    > | Safe Mode no different.
    > | Hard drive checks OK.
    > | CHKDSK checks OK.
    > |
    > | Have the CD key on the enclosure but not the original disks.
    > | Tried to reinstall windows using another XP Home CD but the install
    > didn't
    > | like the CD key that's on the enclosure. Original Windows was likely
    > OEM.
    > |
    > | I'd like suggestions on how to fix this without reformatting.
    > |
    > | Thanks,
    > |
    > | Fred

    The HP Windows XP Product Key is an OEM version. It will
    only work with HP's restore methods.

    Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
    the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
    recovery operation.
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en

    If a "non-destructive" recovery will not work, then you'll have
    to resort to a "destructive recovery" which will reformat the
    drive, thus wiping it clean of all files before Windows XP is
    reinstalled.

    Obtaining HP Recovery CDs
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Fred Marshall" wrote:

    | Well, it's an OEM install and the CD(s) have to come from the OEM (hp) under
    | most circumstances.
    | I'm trying to save time and don't mind saving a little money either - all
    | legitimately.
    |
    | I should think I could repair or reinstall from any matching Windows CD as
    | long as I have the license / COA for the system under repair. So, I'm
    | wondering why it didn't work?
    |
    | The system remains unfixed and I'm trying to find a reasonable repair
    | procedure to get it back.
    |
    | Thanks,
    |
    | Fred

    Interesting.....
    I have the hard drive intact and there is a partition with recovery things
    on it.
    However, to access it, one has to press F10 repeatedly at boot.

    Unfortunately, this does nothing.
    However, I can boot into a command line version of Windows in that recovery
    partition.
    I just don't know what (if anything) needs to be executed in order to start
    the recovery process - in place of what F10 does....

    Thanks,

    Fred

    > The HP Windows XP Product Key is an OEM version. It will
    > only work with HP's restore methods.
    >
    > Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
    > the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
    > recovery operation.
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en
    >
    > If a "non-destructive" recovery will not work, then you'll have
    > to resort to a "destructive recovery" which will reformat the
    > drive, thus wiping it clean of all files before Windows XP is
    > reinstalled.
    >
    > Obtaining HP Recovery CDs
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    > "Fred Marshall" wrote:
    >
    > | Well, it's an OEM install and the CD(s) have to come from the OEM (hp)
    > under
    > | most circumstances.
    > | I'm trying to save time and don't mind saving a little money either -
    > all
    > | legitimately.
    > |
    > | I should think I could repair or reinstall from any matching Windows CD
    > as
    > | long as I have the license / COA for the system under repair. So, I'm
    > | wondering why it didn't work?
    > |
    > | The system remains unfixed and I'm trying to find a reasonable repair
    > | procedure to get it back.
    > |
    > | Thanks,
    > |
    > | Fred

CD-Rom Windows XP