XP Home
Won't boot. Continually goes through reboot. Blue screen message too fast
to read.
Safe Mode no different.
Hard drive checks OK.
CHKDSK checks OK.

Have the CD key on the enclosure but not the original disks.
Tried to reinstall windows using another XP Home CD but the install didn't
like the CD key that's on the enclosure. Original Windows was likely OEM.

I'd like suggestions on how to fix this without reformatting.

Thanks,

Fred

First, you'll need to get a replacement Windows XP CD:

;326246]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246

Second, perform a "repair install" with your replacement Windows XP CD:

Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

"Fred Marshall" wrote:

| XP Home
| Won't boot. Continually goes through reboot. Blue screen message too fast
| to read.
| Safe Mode no different.
| Hard drive checks OK.
| CHKDSK checks OK.
|
| Have the CD key on the enclosure but not the original disks.
| Tried to reinstall windows using another XP Home CD but the install didn't
| like the CD key that's on the enclosure. Original Windows was likely OEM.
|
| I'd like suggestions on how to fix this without reformatting.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Fred

Well, it's an OEM install and the CD(s) have to come from the OEM (hp) under
most circumstances.
I'm trying to save time and don't mind saving a little money either - all
legitimately.

I should think I could repair or reinstall from any matching Windows CD as
long as I have the license / COA for the system under repair. So, I'm
wondering why it didn't work?

The system remains unfixed and I'm trying to find a reasonable repair
procedure to get it back.

Thanks,

Fred

> First, you'll need to get a replacement Windows XP CD:
>
> How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware
> ;326246]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[ln];326246
>
> Second, perform a "repair install" with your replacement Windows XP CD:
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Fred Marshall" wrote:
>
> | XP Home
> | Won't boot. Continually goes through reboot. Blue screen message too
> fast
> | to read.
> | Safe Mode no different.
> | Hard drive checks OK.
> | CHKDSK checks OK.
> |
> | Have the CD key on the enclosure but not the original disks.
> | Tried to reinstall windows using another XP Home CD but the install
> didn't
> | like the CD key that's on the enclosure. Original Windows was likely
> OEM.
> |
> | I'd like suggestions on how to fix this without reformatting.
> |
> | Thanks,
> |
> | Fred

The HP Windows XP Product Key is an OEM version. It will
only work with HP's restore methods.

Read the following article thoroughly, then follow
the steps outlined to perform a "non-destructive"
recovery operation.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145&product=71013&dlc=en&lang=en

If a "non-destructive" recovery will not work, then you'll have
to resort to a "destructive recovery" which will reformat the
drive, thus wiping it clean of all files before Windows XP is
reinstalled.

Obtaining HP Recovery CDs
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?product=71013&lang=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=bph07143

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Fred Marshall" wrote:

| Well, it's an OEM install and the CD(s) have to come from the OEM (hp) under
| most circumstances.
| I'm trying to save time and don't mind saving a little money either - all
| legitimately.
|
| I should think I could repair or reinstall from any matching Windows CD as
| long as I have the license / COA for the system under repair. So, I'm
| wondering why it didn't work?
|
| The system remains unfixed and I'm trying to find a reasonable repair
| procedure to get it back.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Fred

Interesting.....
I have the hard drive intact and there is a partition with recovery things
on it.
However, to access it, one has to press F10 repeatedly at boot.

Unfortunately, this does nothing.
However, I can boot into a command line version of Windows in that recovery
partition.
I just don't know what (if anything) needs to be executed in order to start
the recovery process - in place of what F10 does....

Thanks,

Fred