slow performance - help requested

June 7, 2005 12:36:01 AM

Please help! I am not too advanced at stuff like this. Basically my computer
will decide to run very slowly at random intervals. The mouse won't respond
or is delayed, and I can't click on anything. It happens online and off, and
I ran a virus scan and didn't find anything. I also have my windows updates
all up to date. I am running XP home. Is there a scan or a download that I
can try to figure out the problem with? It seems like there is a program
running in the background or something that is preventing it from working
properly. Thanks everyone for your time, and hopefully for your suggestions.
Sorry if I forgot any other important info.
ms_smith
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 1:43:01 AM

Hi,
Click Start>Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>Administrative
Tools>double click Event Viewer>click System in the left pane.
Do you see any red circles with an "x" in the center? If so, double click
any such entries and read the Event Properties Description.
You might be having a problem I had with my old pc. It came with Windows
Millenium and was upgraded with Windows XP Home Edition, then Service Pck 1
and Service Pack 2. All the critical and important patches were added along
the way. I was getting events about ACPI and reading/writing from/to certain
I/O ports, but it was not problematic until after upgrading with Service Pack
2 and the patches issued thereafter. Then for all practical purposes, the
computer became unusable. I have been unable to acquire an upgrade to the
BIOS; so for now the pc is abandoned. If this is your problem, I hope you
will be able to upgrade your BIOS.
If you have a different problem, you should get some clues by reading the
Event Properties Descriptions.
Good luck!

"ms_smith" wrote:

> Please help! I am not too advanced at stuff like this. Basically my computer
> will decide to run very slowly at random intervals. The mouse won't respond
> or is delayed, and I can't click on anything. It happens online and off, and
> I ran a virus scan and didn't find anything. I also have my windows updates
> all up to date. I am running XP home. Is there a scan or a download that I
> can try to figure out the problem with? It seems like there is a program
> running in the background or something that is preventing it from working
> properly. Thanks everyone for your time, and hopefully for your suggestions.
> Sorry if I forgot any other important info.
> ms_smith
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 2:29:01 AM

Hi!, I don't know too much but something like that happens to me when my mouse
accumulate some debris under the ball. So I use to take out the ball and
clean the
little barrels that make the ball run freely.
"ms_smith" wrote:

> Please help! I am not too advanced at stuff like this. Basically my computer
> will decide to run very slowly at random intervals. The mouse won't respond
> or is delayed, and I can't click on anything. It happens online and off, and
> I ran a virus scan and didn't find anything. I also have my windows updates
> all up to date. I am running XP home. Is there a scan or a download that I
> can try to figure out the problem with? It seems like there is a program
> running in the background or something that is preventing it from working
> properly. Thanks everyone for your time, and hopefully for your suggestions.
> Sorry if I forgot any other important info.
> ms_smith
June 7, 2005 6:34:34 AM

Hi *ms_smith* :

> Please help! I am not too advanced at stuff like this. Basically my computer
> will decide to run very slowly at random intervals. The mouse won't respond
> or is delayed, and I can't click on anything. It happens online and off, and
> I ran a virus scan and didn't find anything. I also have my windows updates
> all up to date. I am running XP home. Is there a scan or a download that I
> can try to figure out the problem with? It seems like there is a program
> running in the background or something that is preventing it from working
> properly. Thanks everyone for your time, and hopefully for your suggestions.
> Sorry if I forgot any other important info.
> ms_smith

1- Check if the indexing service is running. If so you can stopped it
and set it to manual or disabled. This service is unefficent and
use a lot of ressources...

Start | Run | services.msc
right click on the service name | properties | click the "Stop" button and choose manual or disabled

May be it's a good idea to check if the services runnings
are mandatories and started in automatic mode and the
optionnal or used services from time to time in manual...

More informations about services:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

2- Check what are the applications started and keep them to the strict minimum.
You can use msconfig or, for a better overview of what is started in your
system, CodeStuff's Starter :http://codestuff.cjb.net/

3- Keep control of what's running in that PC with Task Manager
or, better, Process Explorer , a "must" from Mark Russinovich:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.h...

4- Finally, to be sure of what is running in your PC , I suggest you
to make a scan with HijackThis and post the copy of the scanning
log here so I 'll check it and tell you if you have to remove some
stuff there : malwares or useless stuff.
http://www.hijackthis.de/en

(The site offer an "automatic evaluation" of the scan's log...
It's not reliable as a human being... ;-) )

:)
--
Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

«My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
http://climenole.serendipia.net
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 9:12:45 AM

Hi

Please try the following link:

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"ms_smith" <ms_smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help! I am not too advanced at stuff like this. Basically my
> computer
> will decide to run very slowly at random intervals. The mouse won't
> respond
> or is delayed, and I can't click on anything. It happens online and off,
> and
> I ran a virus scan and didn't find anything. I also have my windows
> updates
> all up to date. I am running XP home. Is there a scan or a download that I
> can try to figure out the problem with? It seems like there is a program
> running in the background or something that is preventing it from working
> properly. Thanks everyone for your time, and hopefully for your
> suggestions.
> Sorry if I forgot any other important info.
> ms_smith
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 9:58:25 AM

The most likely "normal" pogram that can cause this sort of behavior is your
antivirus scanner. For example, both Norton and McAfee will degrade the
performance of the PC while they are running a full system scan. This is
distinct from scan on access, which should be turned on all the time. Check
the antivirus scheduler. If it is set for daytime hours, reset it for some
time while you are sleeping, but remember to leave the PC on and your user
ID logged in.

If not the antivirus progam, then suspect some spyware. Try both Adaware
and Spybot to scan for bad things and remove them.

Finally, while the problem exists, try running the XP task manager (singel
CTRL-ALT-DEL) and see what program (called a process under XP) is using most
of the CPU time. Then, decide wether it is legitimate or otherwise.

"ms_smith" <ms_smith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Please help! I am not too advanced at stuff like this. Basically my
> computer
> will decide to run very slowly at random intervals. The mouse won't
> respond
> or is delayed, and I can't click on anything. It happens online and off,
> and
> I ran a virus scan and didn't find anything. I also have my windows
> updates
> all up to date. I am running XP home. Is there a scan or a download that I
> can try to figure out the problem with? It seems like there is a program
> running in the background or something that is preventing it from working
> properly. Thanks everyone for your time, and hopefully for your
> suggestions.
> Sorry if I forgot any other important info.
> ms_smith
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 7:00:48 AM

Hi!

Windows run slowly in many reasons. Some reason has been mention already by
other who reply your message. If those thing wont work, try do on my way.

You told that their is a program running at the background. This background
program you said might be a background services or either a Start-up
Programs. You can eleminate this background running programs by disabling
them. To disable this items, i would suggest you to run MSCONFIG from Start
menu then RUN. Just type MSCONFIG then ENTER. In the System Configuration
Dialog Box select Selective Start-up then uncheck Load system services and
load start-up items. Then apply or ok, then restart your computer.
NOTE: unchecking the Load System Services will disable or prevent all
background services from running. As an effect your system running like
windows 2000 environment. you cannot print, connect to network, install
programs, etc. But this is OK. YOu are in a troubleshooting mode. YOu can run
the background service back later using MSCONFIG. You do this only to check
if the problem you have will be resolve.

Other issues also regarding with your problem, once your systems processor
schedule is set to background services, then it is normal that your programs
runs on a very slow performance. Because the processor and the memory of the
system is set to prioritize the background services. To resolve such issues,
go to control panel the system properties. ON the system property dialog box
select Advance tab then on the Performance area, select Setting button.
Performance option dialog box appears. Select Advanced Tab, then on the
processor scheduling and Memory usage, set to Programs. Click oK, ok till all
dialog box is close. Then restart your computer.

Another issues also, once the your hard drive contains a bad sector, your
computer will do very slow performance. Check event viewer system and
application there are error or warning message contains message about your
drive. if their is, then you need to backup your files and then replace your
disk.

Please notify me, if it works.

you can email me andy_boy_ph@yahoo.com

!