System Restore not Restoring

I am trying to perform a System Restore to a point back in the middle of
March (before I installed Microsoft AntiSpyware). When I have tried a couple
of the dates about 5 to 7 days prior to when I installed Microsoft
AntiSpyware on March 28, 2005, the System Restore program always tells me
that it cannot go back to that date and that no settings have been changed.

I am running Windows XP Home (SP2) with a 120GB hard drive & 512MB RAM.
Could anyone help?
8 answers Last reply
More about system restore restoring

    Hi Chris Im new to computing but I have been there where you are and i
    listen to "Jeff Levy on computers" every weekend. First of all I try to keep
    track of when I install programs and write that in the restore point
    description as I create it I also note if there are any unusual circumstances
    there too.

    Now I think you are trying to undo some kind of mistake is that correct???
    It would be great if you would explain your problem more.
    The general advice Jeff gives is to review what you have done prior to any
    malfuntions or odd behavior noticed on your computer..My next try would be to
    fix or undo or uninstall any recently installed programs. Then try restoring
    to another time, which you have tried. my guess is you are trying to change
    your system to much at one time and restore says no to that. You see over
    time we install and uninstall so much stuff and we may rearrange it with a
    defragmenter which changes the location of files and programs on the disk.
    Two months later system restore looks at the disk and all the changes that
    were made you see?????????
    My next suggestion comes from what the tech support people tell me the
    most SYSTEM RECOVERY, which is where i am now and it dosent want to work for
    me.
    They wanted me to back up the C:Documents and settings and save it in a
    backup folder..then try again with a nondestructive recovery. PLEASE NOTE YOU
    MAY LOSE FILES with a destructive recovery and im not sure about a non
    destructive recovery of course anything is possible.
    you can check out the Book "Microsoft Windows XP Inside Out" by Bott &
    Siechert
    they give a list of the DO's and DONTS of System Restore, such as "Although
    you can restore your system to a prev config from safe mode, you cannot
    create a new restore point in safe mode. As a result , you cannot undo a
    restore operation that you perform in safe mode. If possible, you should
    always start Windows in normal mode to perform a restore operation."

    Hope this helps

    Thought computing was supposed to be easy.

    "Chris Hofer" wrote:

    > I am trying to perform a System Restore to a point back in the middle of
    > March (before I installed Microsoft AntiSpyware). When I have tried a couple
    > of the dates about 5 to 7 days prior to when I installed Microsoft
    > AntiSpyware on March 28, 2005, the System Restore program always tells me
    > that it cannot go back to that date and that no settings have been changed.
    >
    > I am running Windows XP Home (SP2) with a 120GB hard drive & 512MB RAM.
    > Could anyone help?

    Hi. I don't know too much about computers but usually the Restore system has
    a limit in the dates that you can go back, but if you select to create your
    restore point usually it leave you go further back because I tried ounce. I
    hope you can.

    "Chris Hofer" wrote:

    > I am trying to perform a System Restore to a point back in the middle of
    > March (before I installed Microsoft AntiSpyware). When I have tried a couple
    > of the dates about 5 to 7 days prior to when I installed Microsoft
    > AntiSpyware on March 28, 2005, the System Restore program always tells me
    > that it cannot go back to that date and that no settings have been changed.
    >
    > I am running Windows XP Home (SP2) with a 120GB hard drive & 512MB RAM.
    > Could anyone help?

    Hi

    Going back that far maynot be advisable as there would have been several
    changes to the Registry which may cause the system to not work properly.
    How many checkpoints have you tried? If all of the checkpoints are creating
    the same behaviour then one or more files in System Restore could have
    become corrupted.

    Try turning SR off/on - but I'm afraid that you will lose any existing
    checkpoints:

    Right click My Computer, select Properties and then the System Restore tab.
    Enable 'Turn off System Restore on all drives' and reboot your PC. After
    that 1st reboot go back into SR and disable 'Turn off System Restore on all
    drives' and reboot your PC again. After that 2nd reboot you should have one
    new SR checkpoint.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Chris Hofer" <ChrisHofer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am trying to perform a System Restore to a point back in the middle of
    > March (before I installed Microsoft AntiSpyware). When I have tried a
    > couple
    > of the dates about 5 to 7 days prior to when I installed Microsoft
    > AntiSpyware on March 28, 2005, the System Restore program always tells me
    > that it cannot go back to that date and that no settings have been
    > changed.
    >
    > I am running Windows XP Home (SP2) with a 120GB hard drive & 512MB RAM.
    > Could anyone help?

    Hi Chris,

    You can only go back as far as the calendar lets you. Going back over
    two months may cause more problems than it solves. Have you tried
    going back to an available date, and if so what happens?

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Chris Hofer wrote:
    > I am trying to perform a System Restore to a point back
    > in the middle of March (before I installed Microsoft
    > AntiSpyware). When I have tried a couple of the dates
    > about 5 to 7 days prior to when I installed Microsoft
    > AntiSpyware on March 28, 2005, the System Restore program
    > always tells me that it cannot go back to that date and
    > that no settings have been changed.
    >
    > I am running Windows XP Home (SP2) with a 120GB hard
    > drive & 512MB RAM. Could anyone help?

    > Now I think you are trying to undo some kind of mistake is that correct???

    Yes...that's correct. Here's what's happening. At times when I am surfing
    the Internet, Internet Explorer seems to lock up on me for maybe 10 to 20
    seconds...just to load a simple web page. It's like it's freezing on the
    screen. I am wondering if I accidentally deleted something when I ran the
    Microsoft AntiSpam program that would have cause this. That's why I want to

    > How many checkpoints have you tried?

    I've tried maybe 3 or 4 checkpoints that System Restore has automatically
    created. See my response to Matt on why I'm trying to perform a System
    Restore this far back.

    Yes...I can go back to around the first week of March 2005...not any further
    than that, though.

    "evy_g" wrote:

    > Hi. I don't know too much about computers but usually the Restore system has
    > a limit in the dates that you can go back, but if you select to create your
    > restore point usually it leave you go further back because I tried ounce. I
    > hope you can.
    >
    > "Chris Hofer" wrote:
    >
    > > I am trying to perform a System Restore to a point back in the middle of
    > > March (before I installed Microsoft AntiSpyware). When I have tried a couple
    > > of the dates about 5 to 7 days prior to when I installed Microsoft
    > > AntiSpyware on March 28, 2005, the System Restore program always tells me
    > > that it cannot go back to that date and that no settings have been changed.
    > >
    > > I am running Windows XP Home (SP2) with a 120GB hard drive & 512MB RAM.
    > > Could anyone help?

    > Have you tried going back to an available date, and if so what happens?

    Yes...I tried going back to an automatic System Restore point about 5 to 7
    days prior to when I first installed Microsoft AntiSpam (beta) on my PC. See
    the response I gave to Matt for more info.

Microsoft System Restore Windows XP