Sign in with
Your question

How well could i run BF3 ?

Last response: in Video Games
January 27, 2012 9:03:38 PM

First off am new to tom's hardware and computers in general, so am sorry if this question sounds noobish or if its even in the right section of the forums. I was just looking for some advice on my current pc, problems with bottlenecking and such if there are any. As well could anyone give me an idea of how well BF3 would run on my computer.

Here are my pc specs:

Processor: Intel i7-2600K 3.40 GHz
RAM: 8GB Kingston
Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 6970 2GB ×1
Hard drive: 500GB
SSD: 120GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3

More about : run bf3

January 28, 2012 12:12:02 AM

Should run full ultra 2x MSAA up to 1920x1200, maybe set shadows to high. Will never drop below 60 fps if your 6970 is oc'd decently.
m
l
Related resources
January 28, 2012 1:04:02 AM

If you overclock it will most likely always stay 60ish fps. I have a 6950 OC'ed to 840 mhz (limited to this, I need to flash the BIOS of it to get higher) and an i5 2500k at 4.4 ghz and I can run this game on ultra between 45-60 fps.
m
l
January 28, 2012 1:41:49 AM

lawilahd said:
If you overclock it will most likely always stay 60ish fps. I have a 6950 OC'ed to 840 mhz (limited to this, I need to flash the BIOS of it to get higher) and an i5 2500k at 4.4 ghz and I can run this game on ultra between 45-60 fps.

Do yourself the favor that every ATI card owner should do. Delete Catalyst Control Center and all of its crappo overclocking utilities. Get ATI Tray Tools which will let you openly and easily change the voltage within the bios limit, and has no limit on the core clock and mem clock sliders.
m
l
January 28, 2012 5:48:08 AM

although i agree in principle i cant recommend you do that... ccc is for the inexperienced user and general use. ati try tools is for the more experienced user that is willing to risk his system to get more performance on flagging hardware. yours is no such thing. bf3 will max out and give very playable frame rates... in multiplayer your best off turning the high end features off so you get a minimum of 60 fps with out any drops. this may mean you have to go a little further than you think in the reduction of settings but it will allow you to be consistent, which is what you need for online fps.
also check out the gunclub and bf3 forums for tweaks.
m
l
January 28, 2012 12:07:04 PM

HEXiT said:
although i agree in principle i cant recommend you do that... ccc is for the inexperienced user and general use. ati try tools is for the more experienced user that is willing to risk his system to get more performance on flagging hardware. yours is no such thing. bf3 will max out and give very playable frame rates... in multiplayer your best off turning the high end features off so you get a minimum of 60 fps with out any drops. this may mean you have to go a little further than you think in the reduction of settings but it will allow you to be consistent, which is what you need for online fps.
also check out the gunclub and bf3 forums for tweaks.

I was referring to Lawlilahd's limited OC on the 6950, not the OP's 6970 =). I agree otherwise though, although I don't think there is any risk to the system using ATI Tray Tools. Voltage controls are still bios limited.
m
l
January 28, 2012 1:47:18 PM

This may be a little off topic but is BF3 even worth getting on pc if you've already put in like 48 hours on console ?
m
l
January 28, 2012 2:00:12 PM

Well, do you like a game being displayed at 60 fps as opposed to 30 fps, with graphics set to ultra with true multisampling and no unwanted motion blur, mouse input, no incorporated aim assist, etc? Or do you prefer 30 fps, aim assisted, medium setting, and artfully motion blurred to cover console shortcomings in driving the display? If you prefer the former, it's worth it to pick up the title on PC.
m
l
January 28, 2012 4:59:27 PM

Do keep in mind with the latest ATI driver (12.1) there was a notice in the patch notes. That battlefield 3 might crash if the game was set to ultra settings. There wasn't any further information about it though. but if your game does crash on those settings try to set it a bit lower (so don't blame the hardware)
m
l
January 28, 2012 10:29:15 PM

casualcolors said:
I was referring to Lawlilahd's limited OC on the 6950, not the OP's 6970 =). I agree otherwise though, although I don't think there is any risk to the system using ATI Tray Tools. Voltage controls are still bios limited.

you can still blow a card over volting it within bios limits... some cheaper brands use lesser quality ic's and even though they state they can handle so many volts for so many hours, often they cant... powercolour are a typical example of this. there gfx card induction fans tend to fail if you run them at anywhere near 50% consistently and 50 percent is there needed speed.
mine failed after 6 months, they even shirked the rma so i had to get a 3rd party cooler... still i cant get the card stable past 900/1200 no matter what volts i throw at it... the cooler is an excellent arctic 5870 extreme thay will max out at 43'c @less than 100 percent and is silent. so i have a huge amount of headroom but the card just wont go there...
yeah i would seriously love to dump ccc as i have had to reformat on more than 1 occasion due to bugged installs, but even then i wouldn't abandon it completely.
m
l
January 28, 2012 10:47:32 PM

The CCC install process was finally got me to ditch it. The failed updates and partial installs I was like yeah ok forget this program suite. lol.
m
l
!