Domain name invalid

When trying to log into XP, I get the message "Domain name not valid". I
speculate that I may have a virus. How can I log into my computer to try to
fix the problem?

"samholla" <samholla@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When trying to log into XP, I get the message "Domain name not valid". I
> speculate that I may have a virus. How can I log into my computer to try
> fix the problem?

At the logon screen is there a box below the password box titled Log on to:?
If it's not there click on the options button. From the drop down list pick
the name of your computer to log on locally.

Kerry

I have tried to log into every option under that list (4 options - ADS, this
computer, and two that I have never seen before). The normal one that I have
always logged into is no longer valid. I can't recall the passwords for the
option: this computer. Is there a way to reset the password or username?

>I have tried to log into every option under that list (4 options - ADS,
>this
> computer, and two that I have never seen before). The normal one that I
> have
> always logged into is no longer valid. I can't recall the passwords for
> the
> option: this computer. Is there a way to reset the password or username?
>
> "samholla" wrote:
>
>> When trying to log into XP, I get the message "Domain name not valid". I
>> speculate that I may have a virus. How can I log into my computer to try
>> fix the problem?

If you are trying to logon to a domain that previously worked but you are
not presently connected to you may have lost the cached credentials. I don't
know of any way other than to connect to the domain to re-establish the
credentials. I would try to logon locally as the administrator with no
password. If that doesn't work you can go here and download the Ultimate
Boot CD.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

There are utilities on the CD that can reset the local administrator
password. Be aware that this option may have bad consequences and should
only be used as a last resort. If you have any encrypted files you may
permanently loose the ability to unencrypt the files. Their is also a slight
possibility of damaging the SAM database and having to do a clean reinstall
of windows loosing all your program settings. I always install the hard
drive in another computer and copy the data from it before going this route.
Saving the data will not help you if you loose the ability to unencrypt
files. If you have encrypted files and don't have the proper certificate
and key exported then use extreme caution.

Kerry