Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Expected PS4 Specs:

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 28, 2012 1:30:47 AM

Yes, I have posted a thread similar to this, with outrageous suggestions for next-gen hardware specs. I pretty much jst came back from rehab, soo...

Here it is, my hopes for the specs of the upcoming Play Station 4:


Processor: A quad-core processor clocked at 3.8 GHz (CELL or ARM).

Graphics Card: An Nvidia custom Graphics Card similar to the GeForce GTX 580 (with 3 GB of DDR5-VRAM), supporting full DirectX 11

RAM: 4 GB of DDR5-DRAM

Resolution: 1080p or Quad HD (unlikely)

Disk: Blu-ray 8x

3D: Yes (duh)

Other predictions: Probably will upgrade the MOVE and PS eye camera for enhanced precision and body motion tracking. Also, it will most probably cost A LOT and will contain a dangerous amount of awesomeness. It will also beat the Xbox Next (proven) in terms of everything, including its leaked mediocre specs :D 


Soo...what do you think? If I was to build a PC out of these specs, I know it would give me some fairly good graphics, fitting for the next generation of consoles. I know that these specs are unlikely, but i would hope for the next generation SONY console to have good specs that will last a few years. agree? disagree? or do i need to spend some more time in rehab?

please post your predicted PS4 specs, or any other ideas for the PS4, so i know what the rest of the community is thinking. :) 

More about : expected ps4 specs

January 28, 2012 1:58:47 AM

>Processor: A quad-core processor clocked at 3.8 GHz (CELL or ARM).

Close, but currently I would probably say no to 3.8 GHz. Not even a lot of high end gaming PC's have 3.8 GHz, but this also depends on when the PS4 comes out.

>Graphics Card: An Nvidia custom Graphics Card similar to the GeForce GTX 580 (with 1.5 GB of DDR5-VRAM), supporting full DirectX 11

Most likely, except no DX11. DX11 is Microsoft technology, and Sony have yet to use it, and most defiantly won't use it.

>RAM: 4 GB of DDR5-DRAM

The sad thing is, this probably true. I can predict the next generation of consoles are already out of date. Most PC gamers up to 8, and professionalism usually have about 16 GB's.

>Resolution: 1080p

This depends on consumer TV resolution. Whatever resolution is the standard will be the PS3's resolution.

>Disk: Blu-ray 6x

My God I hope Sony isn't this stupid. I know they practically own Blu-Ray, but physical copies are such old technology. Digital is the way we are heading, and doing otherwise is bad business.

>3D: Yes

Obciously.


But we can't really say, we still don't have any confirmation of next gen consoles being in the works.
January 28, 2012 1:59:54 AM

"Most likely, except no DX11. DX11 is Microsoft technology, and Sony have yet to use it, and most DEFIANTLY won't use it."

Whoops, meant definitely.
Related resources
January 28, 2012 3:18:13 AM

1st, if you plan to talk about PS FOUR then maybe you should put that number in your topic name? PS3 specs have been out quite a while, nothing to expect.

2nd, pretty sure you already got this response in your other topic, sony isn't planning to release a new console anytime soon
January 28, 2012 3:35:00 AM

TheSickining said:
"Most likely, except no DX11. DX11 is Microsoft technology, and Sony have yet to use it, and most DEFIANTLY won't use it."

Whoops, meant definitely.

So the fact that the ps3 had a 7800 in it with dx9 you dont think that that next gen wont utilize dx11?

The next gen consoles wont use enthusiast level anything cause of the cost involved. Building a 1200.00 machine to sell at 600 bux would warrant unrealistic software prices.
January 28, 2012 3:38:07 PM

AntiZig said:
1st, if you plan to talk about PS FOUR then maybe you should put that number in your topic name? PS3 specs have been out quite a while, nothing to expect.

2nd, pretty sure you already got this response in your other topic, sony isn't planning to release a new console anytime soon

LOL. true, i changed the title. whoops.

also, This thread is based on the assumption that SONY will release their next gen console 2013-2014. If they don't release it till much later (2018, some people told me), then I expect the specs to be a lot greater. the reason i want the ps4 announced so bad is because i want to know that the ps4 will have satisfactory specs. If being released later means better specs and higher quality product, then i am more than happy to wait.
January 28, 2012 3:39:56 PM

TheSickining said:
"Most likely, except no DX11. DX11 is Microsoft technology, and Sony have yet to use it, and most DEFIANTLY won't use it."

Whoops, meant definitely.


wait...didnt the ps3 use dx9? why rule out the possibillity of the ps4 using dx11? it IS next gen.
January 28, 2012 3:59:38 PM

>Not even a lot of high end gaming PC's have 3.8 GHz, but this also depends on when the PS4 comes out.

While the standard clock for the top game-capable CPUs are in the upper 3s, many can be superclocked to even 5GHz. the 2nd gen sandy bridge i7, for example. also, this in on the assumption that the ps4 will come out 2013-2014, so the prices yet have time to drop.


>My God I hope Sony isn't this stupid. I know they practically own Blu-Ray, but physical copies are such old technology. Digital is the way we are heading, and doing otherwise is bad business.

Although i find the prospect of digital somewhat appealing, I honestly think it is not yet practical. yes, we can still download games digitally, we still need to have some kind of disk drive. Dont forget, we still can expect to buy blu-rays from gamestop, or play dvd/blu-ray movies in our ps4. That was one of the reasons many people bought the ps3. i personally would be dissappointed if they got rid of blu-ray (unless they replaced it with HVD, which i find highly improbable).


>But we can't really say, we still don't have any confirmation of next gen consoles being in the works.

Didnt SONY already start telling the developers to start developing games for their next-gen console? Not confirmed yet, but i have a feeling Sony already revealed some of their tech to some of the developers. EPIC showcased UE4 with their Samaritan demo, which may be some indication to where next-gen consoles are going in terms of their graphics. Square is already developing a photorealistic lighting engine, and CryTek claims that their CryEngine 3 is ready to build games for the next gen consoles. IGN and Gameinformer are already talking about them. My guesses are that the next gen consoles are already in the making.

Also, there is the rumor on the next Xbox GPU. microsoft said that it was in the making, and it is similar to the HD 6670 (which is absolute trash if you ask me). If microsoft already started, then maybe SONY is about to start too. you never know.
January 29, 2012 5:05:44 PM

And how are they going to fit hardware worth >$800 into a $400 console.

Not to mention how much heat your proposed setup will create, will need practically a full tower to deal with the heat.
January 30, 2012 6:23:21 PM

whyso said:
And how are they going to fit hardware worth >$800 into a $400 console.

Not to mention how much heat your proposed setup will create, will need practically a full tower to deal with the heat.


I have no doubt that the PS4 will be bigger than the PS3, but I doubt that it will need to be that big. Also, dont forget: by the time the PS4 comes out, those specs will be a lot cheaper for sure. Also, the PS3 was $600 dollars at launch, and I can place my bet on the PS4 having a similar launch price. face it: if a console wants to keep its relevance throughout the years, it will need to start will good specs and a high price. The price would eventually decrease as time passes anyways.
January 30, 2012 8:29:46 PM

Im taking off notification on this thread.... Youre hoplessly beating this to death
January 30, 2012 8:47:42 PM

FlintIronStagg said:
Im taking off notification on this thread.... Youre hoplessly beating this to death


lol. yeah. i guess you are right
January 31, 2012 5:02:36 AM

its possible to make a PS4 out of those specs Mahin gave out. Right now there are Gaming Laptops that have an awesome CPU, 8GB of RAM and a GTX580M on it in a medium form factor. Ofcourse if that were to happen then the PS4 would definitely be expensive console.

PS3 was firstly priced at 600$ and I heard that at that time the Blu Ray Readers cost around 700$ so I don't think PS3 was overpriced back then given its Blu Ray Capabilities and more features.
January 31, 2012 5:58:22 PM

IvyDeneb said:
its possible to make a PS4 out of those specs Mahin gave out. Right now there are Gaming Laptops that have an awesome CPU, 8GB of RAM and a GTX580M on it in a medium form factor. Ofcourse if that were to happen then the PS4 would definitely be expensive console.

PS3 was firstly priced at 600$ and I heard that at that time the Blu Ray Readers cost around 700$ so I don't think PS3 was overpriced back then given its Blu Ray Capabilities and more features.

Thank you! First Supporter! :D 

^+1
February 1, 2012 6:16:01 AM

I would like the following:

Modified Cell Capable of 1TFlop (4PPE's, 32 SPE's) at 3.5Ghz

Dual GPU (one for graphics and one for physics) with 64 Mb eDRAM (at least 8 TFLPOPS)
6 - 8 GB unified DDR5

Full HD at 120 FPS and Full HD 3D at 60 FPS

Be able to play games while downloading content

External power supply
February 1, 2012 2:10:28 PM

CharlC said:
I would like the following:

Modified Cell Capable of 1TFlop (4PPE's, 32 SPE's) at 3.5Ghz

Dual GPU (one for graphics and one for physics) with 64 Mb eDRAM (at least 8 TFLPOPS)
6 - 8 GB unified DDR5

Full HD at 120 FPS and Full HD 3D at 60 FPS

Be able to play games while downloading content

External power supply


Yeah, no, not happening. Dual card setups present too many potential problems (power usage, scaling for cross-platform developers, heat, micro-studdering), plus who wants this system to cost $2000?

120FPS? You do realize that is benchmark talk right? Highly unrealistic and an unnecessary waste of resources.

I would expect them to use a relatively moderate gpu, such as a kepler 650/750TI, which maybe a tad lack luster, it would be cost effective and would destroy a radeon 6670 (a 550TI is equivalent to an HD 6770 which is twice as powerful as the 6670 but about $40-50 more, I expect a GTX 650/750 to be similar in performance to a GTX560 TI).

This may sound disappointing, but it should be remembered that game/application development for a console allows for much greater optimization, I mean look at how good games like Uncharted 2/3, KZ 2/3, Gears 3, etc. look on ancient hardware? It has kept up decently all things considered. If a 6670 is 6x as powerful as a 360, then a GTX 650 will be 12-15x as powerful, with a relatively inexpensive card.

As for the Cell 2.0, I can't comment as I am not privy as to how much they can fit on one those silicons, I hope it will be at least twice as powerful.

Video ram, about 2-3gigs, system ram, no more than 6 gigs (more likely 2-4gigs) XDR2/DDR5/DDR3.

Rest assured, it will be true 1080p (or whatever is current), 3D, and have all kinds of tessellation, and blah blah blah

The real question is, what will be their gimick? It seems like every console needs a gimick these days to distract dumb people from the bottom line (Kinect 2.0, DVR, Wii U touch screen controller, etc.) But what will PS4's gimick be? Playstation Eye HD (with their move)? Or perhaps their gimick will be the fact that they don't have a gimick and are more focused on improved gameplay and story and graphics in their games, instead of figuring out how flailing your arms can be worked into the core game play.
February 1, 2012 3:55:13 PM

Where do you get your info from? IGN just did an interview with the head of Sony and they said they do not have anything in mind for PS4....their PS3 still has not run its life course and they have no interest into getting into new system specs until 2014-15 at the earliest. Where ever you got your info id be willing to bet my life savings it is all made up. If they are not designing or unveiling show casing a new system until 2013 they dont have tech specs figured out yet. And like others have stated even in 2-3 years the costs of a quad core 3.8gig system and a GTX 580 is going to cost over $1000 to produce and is not likely.
February 1, 2012 8:05:19 PM

envymert said:
And like others have stated even in 2-3 years the costs of a quad core 3.8gig system and a GTX 580 is going to cost over $1000 to produce and is not likely.


Exactly, you guys are dreaming if you think the PS4 will have anything close to those specs even in 2 years. Look at the next Xbox, it will have an AMD 6670. The games will look ok because they will have been optimized for it it but the next console will be lightyears behind the PC specs of 2013-14. Just accept that consoles are for playing games and not for having the best hardware/graphics. If you want the best you have to go PC.
February 2, 2012 12:18:22 PM

I didnt say it was realistic..I said thats what i want.. just relax. If the ps3 has a 10 year life cycle, then that would be possible and almost necessary to keep be able to keep up with the hardware of 2015
February 2, 2012 12:20:33 PM

And by then they can produce it at a third of the current price. Why not dream?
February 2, 2012 12:41:21 PM

Who thinks that MS and Sony must join forces and create the ultimate gaming console? It will never happen but just imagine what will come out of that joint venture. And of course without competition they can charge us whatever they want.
May 5, 2012 8:43:43 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
So the fact that the ps3 had a 7800 in it with dx9 you dont think that that next gen wont utilize dx11?

The next gen consoles wont use enthusiast level anything cause of the cost involved. Building a 1200.00 machine to sell at 600 bux would warrant unrealistic software prices.


HI
Yesterday I wrote a patch for PS3 with Direct X 11 that could run Crysis 2!
It's very good console.
May 11, 2012 5:01:44 AM

Sounds like a dead thread resurrected to me MODS!!!
May 11, 2012 5:05:44 AM

Need Help_71 said:
This is where I'm getting my info from for this topic

http://www.ps4playstation4.com/Expected-PS4-Specs

Just heresay and bull *** from what I see. The cost would be throu gh the ceiling and consumers.would be hit with.the cost. Thanks for the lack.of.insight
May 11, 2012 5:33:01 AM

FlintIronStagg said:
Just heresay and bull *** from what I see. The cost would be throu gh the ceiling and consumers.would be hit with.the cost. Thanks for the lack.of.insight


What do you think the cost and specs would be?
May 11, 2012 5:34:12 AM

Even I think the PS4 won't be as powerful as people are thinking it's gonna be. Especially not more powerful than most PCs.
May 11, 2012 3:38:26 PM

Sony will go bankrupt before the PS4 is ever developed.
May 11, 2012 4:30:03 PM

^That's a very bold statement
May 11, 2012 6:01:49 PM

They just posted a record loss for the quarter, 5.7 billion. They will probably survive, but seems a little silly to speculate about the specs of a console 3 or 4 years down the road from a company that is bleeding cash.
!