tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Hi,

I would like to get rid of my old Codegen (...) PSU and finally get something decent.

I've got a couple of wishes but I haven't been able to control every one of them with the PSU's on my shortlist. I would like a quiet ATX 2.0 compatible PSU with temperature/manually controlled fans. On my list are:

Tagan TG480-U01
Tagan TG420-U01
Enermax 465AX-VE-GFMA (doesn't seem to have SATA power and temperature control)
Sharkoon SilentStorm 430W ATX
Thermalrock RW-00001 PPV 450W ATX
Thermaltake Purepower 480 Watt non-Butterfly

What would be your advice? What would be the most futureproof solution? And of course stability and durability are very important. Basically everything that might determine if it's good or not I would like to know (such as cable length). Tagan gets a lot of mixed reviews, some declaring it the best PSU there's, while it fails in the THG CPU stress test.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I prefer Fortron Source/Sparkle Power power supplies.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Fortron FSP-60PFN 460W EPS and Fortron FSP-60THNP 400W P WTX ere the only Fortron I can get. Are they any good? They need to be able to power ATX/ATX2.0.
My idea to get a new PSU wasn't bad cause when powering up today, the fan of my old Codegen PSU failed.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Fortron's server supplies (24-pin) will work fine. If you also need the new 6-pin video card power, I'm not sure which have it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Lazerous

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005
you might want to find something with more power if you are looking for something to be upgradable to in the future. Newer Video cards require additional power supplies and usually take up a whole rail. Maybe a 550w or a 600w PSU would last you for quite some time. I have a Tt 480w and it works nicely but i could see how the future will be more and more demanding on power.

<font color=green>AMD 64 3700+
ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
CORSAIR XMS (1gb) PC-3200
Gigabyte GF 6800gt 256mb
Audigy 2 ZS
2_36.7gb Raptors/Raid 0
Tt 480 watt PSU</font color=green>