Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Mobhunter: Breaking News: Dragons of Norrath

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 3:22:59 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Breaking News: Dragons of Norrath

by Loral on January 10, 2005

Early today rumors started spreading like wildfire of a new Everquest
expansion. This evening we finally have more details. Most of your
questions can be answered at the Official Dragons of Norrath Website.
Lets dig right into the main features:


Everquest: The Dragons of Norrath, release on February 15th.

- New Zones, Creatures and Content - From Lavastorm to the
Thundercrest Isles adventure in graphically enhanced zones with all new
themes. Brave challenging new quests, discover new treasures, and
battle new NPCs including drakes, goblins, and fierce dragons.

- New Interactive World Map - A full-color interactive map of the
world allows players to point-and-click from a world view, to a
continent view, to a zone view of the traditional line maps.

- Player Barter System - Allows players to set up their own method
of giving platinum or items for other items. Players can now buy items!

- Potion Belt - Allows for quick use of consumable items, such as
potions or food.

- Bandolier Equip - Lets your character have pre-arranged, multiple
sets of weapons accessible by a single mouse click.

- New spells and Tradeskill Recipes

- All-New Guild Halls - Individual instanced Guild Halls for guild
members to meet and prepare for playing. Includes the following
features and benefits:

- Guild Bank - Bank slot for storage of items accessible by all
(designated) members of a guild.

- Mana/health Regen Pool - Allows players to easily regenerate
their mana and health in preparation for battle (available only at the
Guild Hall).

- Mass Corpse Summoning Altar - Allows guilds to summon guild
corpses en masse to the altar room after a wipe out.

- Guild Portal - Allows guild members to purchase the ability to
have a persistent port to pre-determined areas around the world.

- Guild Tradeskill Objects - Various tradeskill tools are located
in the guild hall for easy access by guild members.

- Guild 'Looking for Members' Tool - Allows guilds to recruit by
placing persistent “ads” on bulletin boards, search for
player characters who match guild criteria and send in-game emails to
those members.

- Players 'Looking for Guild' Tool - Allows players to find guilds
recruiting members.

- Buff Timers - In the Guild Halls buff times can be paused for
Guild Members.

The front page also mentions a "In-game email system" when you
highlight one of the crazy spires.

Loral's Comments:

The front page of the website mentions a release date of February 15th
(Looks like I may owe Nanyea a drink). I didn't expect it this soon but
the schedule fits inside of the traditional six month delivery of new
expansions since PoP. While the boards already crawl with "but they
haven't fixed all the doors in Freeport" comments already, and while
many others feel that SOE is bringing this out too soon, history since
PoP shows a six month delivery cycle. Personally, I enjoy seeing the
world shift and change as often and as radically as it does. Change is
growth and growth is good.

I love the mentioned guild features, however, I fear the associated
in-game costs. Hopefully the guild costs scale well for non-high end
raiding guilds. The mass summon corpse feature interests me the most.
While I feel SOE should give this feature to every player of the game
in the form of a Shadowrest NPC, even in a guild hall this feature will
help many players. However, if the cost is scaled around guilds with 54
raiders of level 70, it won't scale well for a guild of 12 level 20 to
50 players. The costs of guildhall features should scale well for
guilds of all sizes in order to be a truly great feature.

In-game email, a guild recruitment service, and a player search of
recruiting guilds will help people get together and find groups of
friends with similar goals and play-styles. I like that a lot. Now if
only we would see a "recruit" guild status to streamline the guild
recruitment process.

The UI elements look to be nice additions. One of these, the bandolier,
was a feature asked for at the guild summit. The world map should help
new players but many of us who have the zone maps permanently laid over
the neural paths of our brains will find little use in them.

The beta signup appears and disappears on the front page of EQLive. If
you don't blink at the wrong moment and you desire to betatest the
expansion, keep watch the Everquest homepage.

In other news, John Smedley, president of SOE, posted an interesting
note about Everquest 2 including this comment about a new form of $5
bit of content called "Adventure Packs":

"Adventure Packs are a new style of content that we are introducing to
EverQuest II. You can think of them as being similar to "Modules" from
traditional tabletop RPGs. They will be heavily story driven and themed
adventuring areas. We will provide a part of each of these Adventure
Packs, at no extra charge, to all of our players. This should give
everyone the opportunity to see if a particular Adventure Pack is the
kind of thing they are interested in. You'll be able to buy these at
any time, since they will be delivered digitally. We plan on keeping
the price point for these low... In fact, our first one will be just
US$4.99."

Read the John Smedley's full EQ2 letter.

Adventure packs interest me. This is an opportunity for SOE to release
mini-games or campaigns for EQ2 in a more traditional RPG sense. I
imagine modules like Temple of Elemental Evil and Queen of the Demonweb
Pits. I imagine single story lines that progress from beginning to end.
Where typical EQ2 expansions will focus on large scale world-based
content, these adventures will offer a specific and focused story,
gameplay element, zone, and quests. So why not have this for EQ1? The
idea of paying another $5 every three months will turn some people off,
but considering the time we get for our dollar, $5 for twenty hours of
content is a pretty good deal.

Earlier today, Everquest Executive Producer, Robert Pfister, posted The
State of Everquest in 2005. In it he discusses many of the past and
future points of interest for Everquest including possible server
merges for the Zeks and a review of other servers after Dragons of
Norrath, the class role review, and the release of Dragons of Norrath.
It is unclear when we may first see class changes occurring and I would
bet it won't be until after the release of Dragons of Norrath. That
will surely vex some people. Minor class tweaks don't excite me like a
new expansion does, however, and I bet I am not alone.

Yes, I get all googly eyed when I see the glossy propaganda for a new
expansion. I know we still have class discussions ahead of us and new
patches that update old-world content like the task system. I know
there are still plenty of bugs. But I see a screenshot like this Frost
Giant and I can't help but get giddy. I love Norrath and I love
watching it grow. I look forward to the days ahead.
Loral Ciriclight
11 January 2005
loral@loralciriclight.com
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 7:23:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On 11 Jan 2005 12:22:59 -0800, "Mike Shea" <mshea01@gmail.com> wrote:

>Breaking News: Dragons of Norrath

LOL nice dupe thread there ;->
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 8:42:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <Xns95DB9B024480Erichardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4>,
Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
>> the last expansion. Make that last expansions, geez I haven't been
>> to 80% of the GOD zones and *still* haven't maxed Guk ldon's.
>You haven't, others have...

Oh, BTW, what percent of players do you think *has* finished the
last 2 expansions? 2%? 5%?
Related resources
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 2:21:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Mike Shea" <mshea01@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1105474979.702330.236220@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...

>I love the mentioned guild features, however, I fear the associated
>in-game costs. Hopefully the guild costs scale well for non-high end
>raiding guilds. The mass summon corpse feature interests me the most.

You must be reading a different document from me. Where in that listing
is "cost" mentioned? Is this something you're assuming, or something you
know? Personally, I hope there is no cost associated for a very selfish
reason. Back in the old days, the guild decided we didn't want alts in the
main guild. So we created a guild just for our alts - Lotus Buds (the main
guild is Lotus Cult). Over time, given our reversal of the original policy,
that guild has shrunk to 27 or so members. Of those members, seven of them
are my altss, and they comprise seven of the eight most active members of
the guild (most of the other members belong to cancelled accounts). I'd
essentially be getting a private clubhouse for my twinks. :-)

>The UI elements look to be nice additions. One of these, the bandolier,
>was a feature asked for at the guild summit. The world map should help
>new players but many of us who have the zone maps permanently laid over
>the neural paths of our brains will find little use in them.

The potion belt has been requested by clerics, wizards, and various
others for quite some time. I'm interested to see if the belt will be done
as a physical location which items are placed in, or as a special hotkey
bank which player-chosen inventory slots are associated with. No more
swapping in the epic 1.0, and the epic 1.5 would be worth doing for someone
like myself with a near-equivalent shield (Aegis of Blackscales).

>In other news, John Smedley, president of SOE, posted an interesting
>note about Everquest 2 including this comment about a new form of $5
>bit of content called "Adventure Packs":
>
>"Adventure Packs are a new style of content that we are introducing to
>EverQuest II. You can think of them as being similar to "Modules" from
>traditional tabletop RPGs. They will be heavily story driven and themed
>adventuring areas. We will provide a part of each of these Adventure
>Packs, at no extra charge, to all of our players. This should give
>everyone the opportunity to see if a particular Adventure Pack is the
>kind of thing they are interested in. You'll be able to buy these at
>any time, since they will be delivered digitally. We plan on keeping
>the price point for these low... In fact, our first one will be just
>US$4.99."
>
>Adventure packs interest me. This is an opportunity for SOE to release
>mini-games or campaigns for EQ2 in a more traditional RPG sense. I
>imagine modules like Temple of Elemental Evil and Queen of the Demonweb
>Pits. I imagine single story lines that progress from beginning to end.
>Where typical EQ2 expansions will focus on large scale world-based
>content, these adventures will offer a specific and focused story,
>gameplay element, zone, and quests. So why not have this for EQ1? The
>idea of paying another $5 every three months will turn some people off,
>but considering the time we get for our dollar, $5 for twenty hours of
>content is a pretty good deal.

This is disturbing news. Right now, EQ1 gets this service for free when
free zones are offered like The Hole and Temple of Solusek Ro. Under this
model, we'd be paying for every set of additional zones they wish to create,
and with no guarantee that everyone would have a given set of zones the
player base would fragment more than it already has. I do like the online
aspect, and that it would likely smooth out the release rate of new content,
but I have the sneaking suspicion that when you add it all up you'd pay more
for X zones worth of Adventure Packs than you would for an X zone expansion.

James
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 2:46:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"the wharf rat" <wrat@panix.com> wrote in message
news:cs1ije$dv0$1@panix2.panix.com...
>
>>- New Interactive World Map - A full-color interactive map of the
>
> Ummmm ok... Why?

So people don't have to visit out-of-game sites to figure out how to get
from point A to point B. The EQ world is pretty big, and a newer player
won't always know where Crypt of Dalnir and Crypt of Nadox are.

>>- Player Barter System - Allows players to set up their own method
>>of giving platinum or items for other items. Players can now buy items!
>
> Why?

As an example: you're a tradeskiller. You want spider silks, and are
willing to pay X for them. With the barter system as I'm seeing it, you can
leave your trader up, with the offer to buy any spider silks handed to you
for X each. People will be able to search The Bazaar and see if anyone
wishes to purchase a given item from them. I'm a big Bazaar buyer/seller,
and I'm really pumped about this feature. I'd love to have standard "Will
Buy" amounts for certain rarish items, so I could get them before someone
else.

>>- Potion Belt - Allows for quick use of consumable items, such as
>>potions or food.
>
> Why? All they really needed to do was make cloudy potions
> stackable...

I'd love to free up a base inventory slot which is now devoted to food
for force-feeding, and cloudy potions in case invis dropped early. I'd get
another nine slots of carrying capacity out of this, and as a tradeskiller I
still use every slot I can get.

>>- Bandolier Equip - Lets your character have pre-arranged, multiple
>>sets of weapons accessible by a single mouse click.
>
> So I can switch from my summoned hammer to my ummm summoned hammer? :-)
> Probably useful for warriors...

Rogues used to swap weapons to bring in a high DAM piercer for
backstabs, then swap it back out for regular DPS. Today, I see this mostly
being a bard thing, with all the instrument swapping they have to do. And
for utility items - I'd be happy with a way to quickly swap my epic 1.0 into
my hand for ressing, and my GVD into my offhand for invis, and....

>>The costs of guildhall features should scale well for
>>guilds of all sizes in order to be a truly great feature.
>
> The costs of guild features should damn well be available to
> those of us who don't have the time to commit to joining a guild.

There's plenty of people out there who feel like you do. Maybe the group
of you should get together and form a guild! ;-)

James
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 2:46:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <KzZEd.83180$dv1.80996@edtnps89>,
James Grahame <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote:
>for X each. People will be able to search The Bazaar and see if anyone
>wishes to purchase a given item from them. I'm a big Bazaar buyer/seller,

Hmmm never thought about that. That would be useful.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 6:20:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> writes:
> >>- Bandolier Equip - Lets your character have pre-arranged, multiple
> >>sets of weapons accessible by a single mouse click.
> >
> > So I can switch from my summoned hammer to my ummm summoned hammer? :-)
> > Probably useful for warriors...
>
> Rogues used to swap weapons to bring in a high DAM piercer for
> backstabs, then swap it back out for regular DPS. Today, I see this mostly
> being a bard thing, with all the instrument swapping they have to do. And
> for utility items - I'd be happy with a way to quickly swap my epic 1.0 into
> my hand for ressing, and my GVD into my offhand for invis, and....

I wonder whether this and the potion belt are different or not.
There are many times when I find myself opening my inventory,
opening a bag, (maybe closing it and opening another bag because
I've forgotten where something is!), clicking on an item,
swapping it for one of the bags in my top level inventory,
right-clicking on it while holding the bag on my cursor, then
putting the bag back and dropping the item back into its bag.
I also do swap weapons a lot, and not just on my pure melees.

- My monk swaps in a Stave of Shielding until it procs, then
wants to switch back to his Adamantite Club.

- My monk also swaps in Jboots to refresh his run speed, but I
don't want to leave them in a top-level slot (even if I don't
currently have all slots filled with summoned WR bags) because
of the weight.

- My wizard has 7 bags and reserves one top-level slot for his
Crucible of Escape (clicky evac), but swaps in his Staff of
Temperate Flux.

- My druid, who still does a bit of melee, sometimes switches
from a 1HB to 1HS to keep both skills up, but needs to be able
to switch back in a hurry if the fighting gets serious.

Anyway, I'll be very interested to see how they've implemented
these features.

-- Don.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- See the a.g.e/EQ1 FAQ at http://www.iCynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm
--
-- Sukrasisx, Monk 51 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 41 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Wizbeau, Wizard 35 on E. Marr remove the "hyphen n s"
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 3:11:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On 2005-01-11, James Grahame <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote:
> This is disturbing news. Right now, EQ1 gets this service for free when
> free zones are offered like The Hole and Temple of Solusek Ro. Under this
> model, we'd be paying for every set of additional zones they wish to create,
> and with no guarantee that everyone would have a given set of zones the
> player base would fragment more than it already has. I do like the online
> aspect, and that it would likely smooth out the release rate of new content,
> but I have the sneaking suspicion that when you add it all up you'd pay more
> for X zones worth of Adventure Packs than you would for an X zone expansion.
>

It all depends how it pans out - bear in mind its for eq2 so far , too - but
they have said you would ALL get the zones, at least the initial levels of
a multi level dungeon, but that certain content within those zones, such
as given quests, or story based encounters, would only be open to those with
the expansion bought.

I cant decide if I despise SOE for finding yet another way to try and rend money
out of me, or quite like the idea - it will depend, really, on whether these
are truly *story* driven things like RPG modules... if they are, well...

Norraths been missing story for so long now I'd be delighted. Ever since
the space invaders linear progression of POP I stopped loving EQ, and
the release of EQ2 was enough to get me back after OOW had me retire
my accounts.

Matt
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 5:01:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

<wrat@panix.com> wrote:
>
> >There are plenty of guilds out there that do not require time
> >commitments.
>
> I disagree. At least, I've never found any meaningful guilds
> that dont require such a commitment. All the vital ones have minimum
> standards for equipment, stats, and time on line. Which makes sense.

It does make sense, doesn't it? Rather interesting that there are in fact
guilds out there that have done such things as beat Time and progress
through GoD that don't have a required time commitment.

And sometimes I wish we did, because without a doubt it makes things more
difficult. But then, I enjoy a challenge. =)
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 9:39:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"the wharf rat" <wrat@panix.com> wrote in message
news:cs1p1n$1lc$1@panix2.panix.com...
> In article <KzZEd.83180$dv1.80996@edtnps89>,
> James Grahame <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
>>for X each. People will be able to search The Bazaar and see if anyone
>>wishes to purchase a given item from them. I'm a big Bazaar buyer/seller,
>
> Hmmm never thought about that. That would be useful.

Not just useful, it would also change prices. Some of the crazy
tradeskill item prices might finally go down when people see a bunch of
"buy" orders with significantly lower prices, and some of the high-demand
items might go up in price as players attempt to outbid one another. Having
"will buy at" as well as "will sell at" information makes it a complete
marketplace.

James
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 11:52:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"the wharf rat" <wrat@panix.com> wrote in message
news:cs1ije$dv0$1@panix2.panix.com...
> In article <1105474979.702330.236220@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> Mike Shea <mshea01@gmail.com> wrote:
> >- New Zones, Creatures and Content - From Lavastorm to the
> >
>
> Hmmm well, ok, but I still haven't finished the content from
> the last expansion. Make that last expansions, geez I haven't been
> to 80% of the GOD zones and *still* haven't maxed Guk ldon's.
>
> >- New Interactive World Map - A full-color interactive map of the
>
> Ummmm ok... Why?

Because WoW has it.

>
> >- Player Barter System - Allows players to set up their own method
> >of giving platinum or items for other items. Players can now buy items!
>
> Why?
>

Because people complained about how the EC tunnel was the Bestest Way To Trade
Stuff...Ever! and how Ebil SOE killed it with the Bazaar, and so on.

> >
> >- Potion Belt - Allows for quick use of consumable items, such as
> >potions or food.
>
> Why? All they really needed to do was make cloudy potions
> stackable...

Because WoW has it. Sort of.

>
> >- Bandolier Equip - Lets your character have pre-arranged, multiple
> >sets of weapons accessible by a single mouse click.
>
> So I can switch from my summoned hammer to my ummm summoned hammer? :-)
> Probably useful for warriors...
>
> >
> >- New spells and Tradeskill Recipes
>
> A tiny carrot buried under all the sticky stuff.
>
> >
> >- All-New Guild Halls - Individual instanced Guild Halls for guild
> >- Guild Bank - Bank slot for storage of items accessible by all
> >- Mana/health Regen Pool - Allows players to easily regenerate
> >- Mass Corpse Summoning Altar - Allows guilds to summon guild
> >- Guild Portal - Allows guild members to purchase the ability to
> >- Guild Tradeskill Objects - Various tradeskill tools are located
> >- Guild 'Looking for Members' Tool - Allows guilds to recruit by
> >- Players 'Looking for Guild' Tool - Allows players to find guilds
> >- Buff Timers - In the Guild Halls buff times can be paused for
> >
>
> Bah. I'm not in a guild, don't want to be in a guild, and
> have no intention of being bullied into joining one so I can get my
> corpses summoned easily. Bah, fooey, and bah again.
>

Because EQ2 has it.

>
> >The front page also mentions a "In-game email system" when you
>
> Oh, saints preserve us.
>

Because WoW...I think you're getting the picture.


--
Simond
"I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your
slave." - Jareth the Goblin King, Labyrinth
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 6:19:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

wrat@panix.com (the wharf rat) wrote in news:cs1kog$6k2$1@panix2.panix.com:

> In article <Xns95DB9B024480Erichardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4>,
> Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
>>> the last expansion. Make that last expansions, geez I haven't been
>>> to 80% of the GOD zones and *still* haven't maxed Guk ldon's.
>>You haven't, others have...
>
> Oh, BTW, what percent of players do you think *has* finished the
> last 2 expansions? 2%? 5%?
>

Small I am sure, you don't have to run out and buy it though, you can wait
until you are ready...

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Prophet of 69 seasons

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 21 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 6:26:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in
news:7wr7krnxj0.fsf@ca.icynic.com:
> - My druid, who still does a bit of melee, sometimes switches
> from a 1HB to 1HS to keep both skills up, but needs to be able
> to switch back in a hurry if the fighting gets serious.

Why? Unless he's fairly low level, the melee damage he is doing is pretty
insignificant anyway. Don't get me wrong, I melee a lot with my shaman,
but I am under no illusions as to the efficacy of said meleeing, even with
all offensive skills maxxed.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Prophet of 69 seasons

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 21 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 6:30:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Simond" <apocalypsecow@spamfilterdeletemeplease.dsl.pipex.net> wrote in
news:o 6SdncyOYdUV73vcRVnyuQ@pipex.net:

>
> "the wharf rat" <wrat@panix.com> wrote in message
> news:cs1ije$dv0$1@panix2.panix.com...
>> In article <1105474979.702330.236220@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
>> Mike Shea <mshea01@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >- Potion Belt - Allows for quick use of consumable items, such as
>> >potions or food.
>>
>> Why? All they really needed to do was make cloudy potions
>> stackable...
>
> Because WoW has it. Sort of.

EQ2 has two activatable item slots, they might do it along those lines,
time will tell.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Prophet of 69 seasons

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 21 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 6:39:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

>> the last expansion. Make that last expansions, geez I haven't been
>> to 80% of the GOD zones and *still* haven't maxed Guk ldon's.
>>
>> >- New Interactive World Map - A full-color interactive map of the
>>
>> Ummmm ok... Why?
>
> Because WoW has it.

EQ2 has it. And EQ has the largest world of any MMORPG out there now; its
absurd its the only one with no in game way to let players know at least
which continent they want to head for.

>> >- Player Barter System - Allows players to set up their own method
>> >of giving platinum or items for other items. Players can now buy items!
>>
>> Why?
>>
>
> Because people complained about how the EC tunnel was the Bestest Way To Trade
> Stuff...Ever! and how Ebil SOE killed it with the Bazaar, and so on.

urm. Sure. Or because being able to sell automatically is useful, but so
is being able to buy; especially when tradeskilling. I'd much rather have
been able to leave myself bidding for acrylia blocks rather than constantly
checking for the bazaar when I was maxing fletching.

>> >- Potion Belt - Allows for quick use of consumable items, such as
>> >potions or food.
>>
>> Why? All they really needed to do was make cloudy potions
>> stackable...
>
> Because WoW has it. Sort of.

Also, because it, along with the bandolier, were specifically asked
for by players at the summit and on various forumns in light of the
increasing variety of clicky items and proccy weapons that we like
to swap around. Sort of.

>> >- Bandolier Equip - Lets your character have pre-arranged, multiple
>> >sets of weapons accessible by a single mouse click.
>>
>> So I can switch from my summoned hammer to my ummm summoned hammer? :-)
>> Probably useful for warriors...

For anyone with a proc weapon they like to switch in and out really; I
used to solo (as a ranger) when I played using a tash stick and a slowing
sword for tough mobs, both of which had *Awful* ratios. I also had a
clickable cloak for self haste that only lasted 6 seconds, etc. These
would have been very handy.

>> >The front page also mentions a "In-game email system" when you
>>
>> Oh, saints preserve us.
>
> Because WoW...I think you're getting the picture.

That they're still putting useful things into EQ1? Well, its not enough
to get me to go back but Im not sure what the picture you're trying
to paint is... 'SOE hate the EQ1 player base so much they put features
in that look useful'?

'SOE have no original ideas so they steal them from EQ2, made by ... SOE'?

It seems kinda... whiney to me ;)  And I quit EQ ;)  If they didnt make
any more improvements would you be posting to everything saying 'SOE
dont add stuff because they dont care' too? ;)  Are Blizzard to be
condemned as rapacious whores for helping themselves to the enormous
back catalogue of previous RPG's, MUD's, MMORPG's, etc?

Matt
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 6:58:43 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On 2005-01-13, Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
> Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in
> news:7wr7krnxj0.fsf@ca.icynic.com:
>> - My druid, who still does a bit of melee, sometimes switches
>> from a 1HB to 1HS to keep both skills up, but needs to be able
>> to switch back in a hurry if the fighting gets serious.
>
> Why? Unless he's fairly low level, the melee damage he is doing is pretty
> insignificant anyway. Don't get me wrong, I melee a lot with my shaman,
> but I am under no illusions as to the efficacy of said meleeing, even with
> all offensive skills maxxed.

Would a higher to hit chance increase your procs per minute? I.e. if
you want to use a tash stick, etc?

Matt
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 6:58:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Moopy" <pingu@keg.zymurgy.org> wrote in message
news:slrncud6lj.i59.pingu@keg.zymurgy.org...
> On 2005-01-13, Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
> > Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in
> > news:7wr7krnxj0.fsf@ca.icynic.com:
> >> - My druid, who still does a bit of melee, sometimes switches
> >> from a 1HB to 1HS to keep both skills up, but needs to be able
> >> to switch back in a hurry if the fighting gets serious.
> >
> > Why? Unless he's fairly low level, the melee damage he is doing is pretty
> > insignificant anyway. Don't get me wrong, I melee a lot with my shaman,
> > but I am under no illusions as to the efficacy of said meleeing, even with
> > all offensive skills maxxed.
>
> Would a higher to hit chance increase your procs per minute? I.e. if
> you want to use a tash stick, etc?
>

From all evidence I've seen posted over the years, no.


--
Davian - Wood Elf Warrior on Guk
Talynne - Half Elf Rogue on Guk
Dearic - Dwarven Shaman on Guk
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 12:30:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> writes:
> > - My druid, who still does a bit of melee, sometimes switches
> > from a 1HB to 1HS to keep both skills up, but needs to be able
> > to switch back in a hurry if the fighting gets serious.
>
> Why? Unless he's fairly low level, the melee damage he is doing is pretty
> insignificant anyway. Don't get me wrong, I melee a lot with my shaman,
> but I am under no illusions as to the efficacy of said meleeing, even with
> all offensive skills maxxed.

Oh, I realise my druid's melee is pretty weak compared to any real
DPS class. But sometimes it seems useful anyway. E.g., if I'm
root-rotting and the mob hp is down in the 20s when the dots wear
off, I might go up and beat on it to get it to run (snared, of
course), and then continue beating on it to kill it. I'm actually
not sure if that's more efficient than throwing one more dot and
medding. But if there are green KOS mobs around, it might not be
feasible for me to med because of sitting agro(*), so I might as
well go up and finish it off. (And if I start whacking before it's
quite ready to run, I can get some mileage out of my DS, plus it
lets my hp regen do something useful.)

And then, the other night, I found myself in an odd LDON pickup
group. Usually, when I'm playing the druid, I look to see what the
group is missing, and the druid fills it in. But this particular
group had a cleric for healing, a ranger pulling/snaring/tracking,
an enchanter for CC and nuking, and a shadowknight and warrior for
tanking and DPS. So once I had buffed everyone and medded back up,
I was doing backup healing/snaring/rooting, and some nuking, but if
I didn't want to nuke (tanks didn't have solid agro yet, or mob was
low enough the nuke would be overkill) I figured I might as well go
up and add my DPS to the mix.

-- Don.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- See the a.g.e/EQ1 FAQ at http://www.iCynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm
--
-- Sukrasisx, Monk 51 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 41 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Wizbeau, Wizard 35 on E. Marr remove the "hyphen n s"
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 12:47:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> writes:
> ... But if there are green KOS mobs around, it might not be
> feasible for me to med because of sitting agro(*), ...

Forgot to add my intended footnote, which was going to remark that
I don't want to get a horse (or drog) for my druid, because of all
the things you can't do on a horse (interrupt spells, get sitting
hp regen, forage, bind wounds; there may be other limitations but
I forget).

Though avoiding sitting agro *would* occasionally be nice.

-- Don.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- See the a.g.e/EQ1 FAQ at http://www.iCynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm
--
-- Sukrasisx, Monk 51 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 41 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Wizbeau, Wizard 35 on E. Marr remove the "hyphen n s"
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 1:48:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote in
news:7whdll9fuw.fsf@ca.icynic.com:

> Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> writes:
>> > - My druid, who still does a bit of melee, sometimes switches
>> > from a 1HB to 1HS to keep both skills up, but needs to be able to
>> > switch back in a hurry if the fighting gets serious.
>>
>> Why? Unless he's fairly low level, the melee damage he is doing is
>> pretty insignificant anyway. Don't get me wrong, I melee a lot with
>> my shaman, but I am under no illusions as to the efficacy of said
>> meleeing, even with all offensive skills maxxed.
>
> Oh, I realise my druid's melee is pretty weak compared to any real
> DPS class. But sometimes it seems useful anyway. E.g., if I'm
> root-rotting and the mob hp is down in the 20s when the dots wear
> off, I might go up and beat on it to get it to run (snared, of
> course), and then continue beating on it to kill it. I'm actually
> not sure if that's more efficient than throwing one more dot and
> medding. But if there are green KOS mobs around, it might not be
> feasible for me to med because of sitting agro(*), so I might as
> well go up and finish it off. (And if I start whacking before it's
> quite ready to run, I can get some mileage out of my DS, plus it
> lets my hp regen do something useful.)
>
> And then, the other night, I found myself in an odd LDON pickup
> group. Usually, when I'm playing the druid, I look to see what the
> group is missing, and the druid fills it in. But this particular
> group had a cleric for healing, a ranger pulling/snaring/tracking,
> an enchanter for CC and nuking, and a shadowknight and warrior for
> tanking and DPS. So once I had buffed everyone and medded back up,
> I was doing backup healing/snaring/rooting, and some nuking, but if
> I didn't want to nuke (tanks didn't have solid agro yet, or mob was
> low enough the nuke would be overkill) I figured I might as well go
> up and add my DPS to the mix.
>

In a group like that, your primary role would be DPS, you are much better
at it than a noncharming enchanter. You should have been nuking as much
as you can without stealing agro, while keeping your mana level
reasonable. If the SK was MA, you should have been able to pretty much
nuke to your heart's content.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Prophet of 69 seasons

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 21 Dwarven Mystic, 20 Sage
January 14, 2005 2:55:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Simond" <apocalypsecow@spamfilterdeletemeplease.dsl.pipex.net> writes:

> "the wharf rat" <wrat@panix.com> wrote in message
> news:cs1ije$dv0$1@panix2.panix.com...
> > In article <1105474979.702330.236220@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> > Mike Shea <mshea01@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >- All-New Guild Halls - Individual instanced Guild Halls for guild
> > >- Guild Bank - Bank slot for storage of items accessible by all
> > >- Mana/health Regen Pool - Allows players to easily regenerate
> > >- Mass Corpse Summoning Altar - Allows guilds to summon guild
> > >- Guild Portal - Allows guild members to purchase the ability to
> > >- Guild Tradeskill Objects - Various tradeskill tools are located
> > >- Guild 'Looking for Members' Tool - Allows guilds to recruit by
> > >- Players 'Looking for Guild' Tool - Allows players to find guilds
> > >- Buff Timers - In the Guild Halls buff times can be paused for
> > >
> >
> > Bah. I'm not in a guild, don't want to be in a guild, and
> > have no intention of being bullied into joining one so I can get my
> > corpses summoned easily. Bah, fooey, and bah again.
> >
>
> Because EQ2 has it.

EQ2 has exactly one of these, namely the tradeskill thing (though it's
not really a guild thing there). There aren't even proper guild halls
- you can share your home with your guild, but the guild as such
cannot own a house.
!