Min RAM needed to disable Win98 Swapfile

Shrub

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
I'm planning on booting this Dell Optiplex machine I have fomr a 512MB CF card on a CF-IDE adaptor. The machine is intended for use as a media center - for movies, music and general net browsing. With 128MB RAM installed will I be able to get away with disabling the swapfile, and is there any other harddisk caching I should know about?

Thanks

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Not sure but I doubt it. Only thing I can suggest is try it. Turn off VM and see how long/much it'll run.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

Shrub

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2005
Actually, I just realised I can move the swapfile to a different drive. I'm just hoping the PC will boot quicker from CF otherwise it'll be pointless anyway.

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
I'm planning on booting this Dell Optiplex machine I have fomr a 512MB CF card on a CF-IDE adaptor. The machine is intended for use as a media center - for movies, music and general net browsing. With 128MB RAM installed will I be able to get away with disabling the swapfile, and is there any other harddisk caching I should know about?

Thanks

If you had 1gig of ram then you could probably get away with disabling the SF, but remember that some applictions do not like the swap file being disabled.

ashvindx

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I read somewhere that Windows 98 can only use 256MB of memory effectively. So, no matter how much you add after, say 400MB, you would still need to enable Swap file. I had the same problem with my 768MB.

Windows XP however, can work without a hitch with Virtual Memory turned off. I usually go upto 800MB usage while working on my 1GB laptop. It really helps increasing system performance given the poor hard drive performance in them.

I recommend you switch to Windows XP given that you have 512MB of memory. On my system, Windows XP with 64 MB is faster than Windows 98 with 64MB in some cases. I.e. Windows XP has a better memory management system than earlier Windows.