mav

Hi All,

I have been asked to try to fix a Windows XP machine that is failing to
complete the boot process. It starts initiating Windows, with the logo, and
the rolling progress bar thingy, then I get a quick flash of a BSOD then it
reboots. I have tried booting into recovery console and running chkdsk and
fixboot. I started fixmbr but got a warning that the machine had a
non-standard mbr and that fixmbr may delete all the current partitions.

My next step was going to be a repair install of XP, however, the machine
did not come with a Windows CD, only a set of Master Recovery CDs. I cannot
boot with them, and therefore cannot get to the repair install option. So my
question is this, can I run a repair install using my original Windows XP
disk on this machine?

Alternatively, any other suggestions?

Thanks very much in advance.

Mav

"...can I run a repair install using my original Windows XP disk on this
machine?"
Nope.

"Alternatively, any other suggestions?"
Contact the company that built the computer for assistance, or bring the
machine to a professional. You're in over your head, my friend.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Mav" <Mav@Miramar.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have been asked to try to fix a Windows XP machine that is failing to
> complete the boot process. It starts initiating Windows, with the logo,
and
> the rolling progress bar thingy, then I get a quick flash of a BSOD then
it
> reboots. I have tried booting into recovery console and running chkdsk and
> fixboot. I started fixmbr but got a warning that the machine had a
> non-standard mbr and that fixmbr may delete all the current partitions.
>
> My next step was going to be a repair install of XP, however, the machine
> did not come with a Windows CD, only a set of Master Recovery CDs. I
cannot
> boot with them, and therefore cannot get to the repair install option. So
my
> question is this, can I run a repair install using my original Windows XP
> disk on this machine?
>
> Alternatively, any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks very much in advance.
>
> Mav

Master recovery disks will not allow you to repair the installation. All
they do is simply reinstall xp back to 'factory settings' That means the
drive will be reformatted and you will loose all your files and data, unless
you have backed the important document files /data to cd.
In most cases recovery disk are created using Norton Ghost. My suggestion is
that you take a look in your pc manual to see how to reinstall the operating
system. Failing that do as Ted suggests and contact the company who supplied
the machine for advice.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"Mav" <Mav@Miramar.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I have been asked to try to fix a Windows XP machine that is failing to
> complete the boot process. It starts initiating Windows, with the logo,
> and the rolling progress bar thingy, then I get a quick flash of a BSOD
> then it reboots. I have tried booting into recovery console and running
> chkdsk and fixboot. I started fixmbr but got a warning that the machine
> had a non-standard mbr and that fixmbr may delete all the current
> partitions.
>
> My next step was going to be a repair install of XP, however, the machine
> did not come with a Windows CD, only a set of Master Recovery CDs. I
> cannot boot with them, and therefore cannot get to the repair install
> option. So my question is this, can I run a repair install using my
> original Windows XP disk on this machine?
>
> Alternatively, any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks very much in advance.
>
> Mav

Try booting to safe. If windowsxp can boot to safe mode means that there are
start-up or services that failing during boot process. You can disable them
my using msconfig.

Considering that you sucessfully boot from safe mode, If you installed a
software before the error occurs then you may uninstall the program. To
uninstall the program, go to control panel and then add remove program.
select the program u lastly installed the click remove.

If so happed you still cannot boot to safe mode, you need to reinstall you
windows xp using windows XP installer or your recovery cd. Using window XP
installer, there is an option not to format you disk. Using Recovery CD,
mostly it will reformat you disk. But reformatting you drive is the best
choice, why? because possible you disk contain bad sector which prevent your
windows from booting.

"Mav" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have been asked to try to fix a Windows XP machine that is failing to
> complete the boot process. It starts initiating Windows, with the logo, and
> the rolling progress bar thingy, then I get a quick flash of a BSOD then it
> reboots. I have tried booting into recovery console and running chkdsk and
> fixboot. I started fixmbr but got a warning that the machine had a
> non-standard mbr and that fixmbr may delete all the current partitions.
>
> My next step was going to be a repair install of XP, however, the machine
> did not come with a Windows CD, only a set of Master Recovery CDs. I cannot
> boot with them, and therefore cannot get to the repair install option. So my
> question is this, can I run a repair install using my original Windows XP
> disk on this machine?
>
> Alternatively, any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks very much in advance.
>
> Mav

mav

Thanks for everyones help.

I have rescued the data from the machine, and dumped it on the retailler to
sort out - they sold the owner a four year warranty (3 and a half years
ago- Ha!), so I suggested they let them earn their money!

Thanks again.
Mav