6800GT PSU help Please..

LittleAuzzie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
Ok so i just recently upgraded from a 9700 PRO to a 6800GT 256. Running in my system i dont have a whole lot, 1 hdd, floppy, 1 optical drive, 4 usb devices. I ran the 9700 PRO on my Enermax 350W PSU, and am not being told by verious people that i should get a 450W PSU for the 6800GT. Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this? I have been using it for a week now and had no power problems or any warnings about low power, but i did hope that the framerates would have been better, and some people are attributing this to lack of power??? I know its an upgrade which wont go astray in the future, but i dont see that i NEED IT! Thoughts??

One more thing, the only good PSU's i can find are ATX 2.0 with a diffferent type of connector for the mobo... Just wondering will i still be able to use the new PSU's? Thanks.

P4. 2.4, 1024 DDR333 RAM, Albatron 6800GT 256, SB Audigy Platinum.

Mate these fair-dinkum contraptions are bloddy alright... Pity they can't jump as high as a kangaroo!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by LittleAuzzie on 01/23/05 09:20 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/" target="_new">http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/</A>
Might be helpful. I have read some articles about 350W not being enough. The other people have probably read the same.

Also remember it's not the Total Watts that are important but the Watts on the specific voltage rail that you want. I think because the earlier PSU's were designed to draw from the 5V rail and nowadays we need lots from the 12V rail.

I'm sure you'll hear from other posters. So wait a bit.
But I think it would be a good idea.

The loving are the daring!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Do you buy online? Most Fortron Source power supplies (THE best brand for the money) are 20-pin, very few are 24-pin.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

BomberBill

Splendid
Jan 20, 2005
Mate, I have had the same drama unfold for me. I am in OZ too and I bought the Antec True Power 550 and she's all good now.

I would look to upgrade if I were you, especially given the other devices you are running.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Are you referring to the 20 pin connector? I think that the 24 pin connectors work as long as you get the adapter that will make it fit a 20 pin MoBo.

To save us both time, assume I know EVERYTHING :tongue:

LittleAuzzie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
Ok so i forked out the money and bought a 470 watt ATX power supply Enermax EG475P-VE-SFMA Noisetaker. It is a 24 Pin psu but comes iwht a 20 pin convertor. As i have a 20 pin mobo, will i experience any problems with the conervion and what do you think of the Psu? i heard Enermax is a good brand... Oh we dont get Fortron or whatever in Auz. Please comment.

Oh here is the web address: http://www.enermax.com.tw/products_page.php?Tid=1&gon=256&Gid=18&Gid2=43

Mate these fair-dinkum contraptions are bloddy alright... Pity they can't jump as high as a kangaroo!!

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Thats what the adapter is for. It will work fine. Everything that I have heard about Enermax has been positive. That one should be solid for your system. I think in the long run you will be glad that you went ahead and got one with more power.

To save us both time, assume I know EVERYTHING :tongue: