* Windows XP does not after SP2 - also ntdll.dll corrupt *

June 8, 2005 5:45:17 PM

Dear Experts,

Initially I had Windows XP professional + SP2 installed on my Compaq
Presario Laptop.
It was working great. But, later I have given my laptop to Compaq service
for BIOS upgrade that
improves battery runtime. After the BIOS update, to my horror Compaq had
reverted everything to their default installation, XP Home + SP1.

I reformatted and installed XP professional again with SP1 and it was
working fine.
Then I have installed all the available security patches from windows update
and proceeded to install SP2.
Everything was fine during installation of SP2 but after restart it did not
boot, just froze at XP logo screen (with running progress bar). I tried
using safe mode, but no use, safe mode also failed to load, just froze.

So I have reverted back to SP1 using XP repair installation, system starts
fine.
But control panel and windows explorer crashes often with an exception in
ntdll.dll.

What could be wrong with my SP2 installation, how can I fix this SP2
installation problem.
Any patches to fix the ntdll.dll corruption problem ?

Experts, Kindly help me.

Best Regards
Kumaran
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 5:06:53 PM

I have the same issue. Could somebody help?

Thanks
Nico
VAIO of Europe

"Kumaran" wrote:

> Dear Experts,
>
> Initially I had Windows XP professional + SP2 installed on my Compaq
> Presario Laptop.
> It was working great. But, later I have given my laptop to Compaq service
> for BIOS upgrade that
> improves battery runtime. After the BIOS update, to my horror Compaq had
> reverted everything to their default installation, XP Home + SP1.
>
> I reformatted and installed XP professional again with SP1 and it was
> working fine.
> Then I have installed all the available security patches from windows update
> and proceeded to install SP2.
> Everything was fine during installation of SP2 but after restart it did not
> boot, just froze at XP logo screen (with running progress bar). I tried
> using safe mode, but no use, safe mode also failed to load, just froze.
>
> So I have reverted back to SP1 using XP repair installation, system starts
> fine.
> But control panel and windows explorer crashes often with an exception in
> ntdll.dll.
>
> What could be wrong with my SP2 installation, how can I fix this SP2
> installation problem.
> Any patches to fix the ntdll.dll corruption problem ?
>
> Experts, Kindly help me.
>
> Best Regards
> Kumaran

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 8:36:11 PM

HI *Kumaran* :

> Initially I had Windows XP professional + SP2 installed on my Compaq
> Presario Laptop.
> It was working great. But, later I have given my laptop to Compaq service
> for BIOS upgrade that
> improves battery runtime. After the BIOS update, to my horror Compaq had
> reverted everything to their default installation, XP Home + SP1.

This is in the well known HP-Compaq tradition... ;-)

> I reformatted and installed XP professional again with SP1 and it was
> working fine.
> Then I have installed all the available security patches from windows update
> and proceeded to install SP2.
> Everything was fine during installation of SP2 but after restart it did not
> boot, just froze at XP logo screen (with running progress bar). I tried
> using safe mode, but no use, safe mode also failed to load, just froze.

*May be* a driver not updated for W xp sp2... (May be)

To check the drivers :

Start | Run | devmgmt.msc

Error codes hints:
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=310123

For links to the manufacturers of various components of your system:
Everest:
http://www.lavalys.com/

Remark:
Very good software but the warnings about the Bios
and the commercial links to that stuff are useless...

Bios upgrades *if needed* must comes from the PC manufacturer
or the Motherboard manufacturer and nobody else.
As you already know...

> So I have reverted back to SP1 using XP repair installation, system starts
> fine.
> But control panel and windows explorer crashes often with an exception in
> ntdll.dll.

May be (again...) a corrupted dll or somethings else in relation to this dll...

First check those Windows Explorer parameters:

a) To used the multi-thread in Windows explorer:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
Create this key:

DesktopProcess
Reg_DWord
value 1

b) Change the value of the "Windows priority separation" :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl
Create this key

Win32PrioritySeparation
Reg_DWord
Value 26 in HEX

> What could be wrong with my SP2 installation, how can I fix this SP2
> installation problem.
> Any patches to fix the ntdll.dll corruption problem ?

Check about drivers updates and windows explorer parameters.
Also check the errors and warnings messages in the logs :
Start | Run | eventvwr.msc

Hints for events:
http://www.eventid.net/

Let us know.

:)

--
Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

«My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
http://climenole.serendipia.net
Soon on www.msmvps.com
Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com