What OS for gaming

Last response: in Video Games
January 28, 2012 4:14:38 PM

Hey I'm going to get a 27" iMac. These are the specs:
3.1 intel i5
4GB of RAM
1 TB storage
AMD radeon HD 6970 1GB.

I am going to use it for gaming and video editing, but most games are not Mac compatible, so I'm going to buy windows and run it through Boot Camp.
Im not sure what windows to buy. I'm not going to use it for anything, just to run games so I don't really care how it looks or anything. I also need something cheap. Any suggestions?

More about : gaming

January 28, 2012 4:25:15 PM

Hi :) 

I am not sure running games on a Mac is the same thing as a PC....even through Bootcamp....

Wait for a Mac gamer to answer (if there are any..lol)

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 28, 2012 4:30:36 PM

assuming it all works, then home premium is fine.
m
l
Related resources
January 28, 2012 4:49:35 PM

Yes, this will work through bootcamp.

The OS you need is Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. If you can get OEM licence that will be cheapest.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
January 28, 2012 5:44:50 PM

ah yes 64, definately
m
l
January 28, 2012 6:48:33 PM

Please note that the graphics cards inside the iMac are not desktop cards but laptop cards.
What's in the iMac is a HD 6970M, which I think is a underclocked HD 6850.

It can play all current games on high-ish settings, but it's not really a great graphics card for gaming on such a big monitor.

You can use the iMac as an external monitor for a gaming PC though in case you ever want to "upgrade".

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

I am not sure running games on a Mac is the same thing as a PC....even through Bootcamp....

Wait for a Mac gamer to answer (if there are any..lol)

All the best Brett :) 

Bootcamp allows you to natively boot Windows on a Mac. Gaming works just as well as on any Windows PC with comparable hardware.
m
l
January 28, 2012 6:57:35 PM

Also: the current iMac is near the end of it's product life cycle. They are usually updated about every 9 months and the last update was in May 2011.
If you don't really need the machine now, it's probably worth waiting 1-2months for the next model.

Apple is probably waiting for the HD 7000 series mobile GPUs.
m
l
!