Computer keeps shutting of randomly

I can be working on something ( Ihave XP professional) and I will close a
window, and my puter will reboot itself. I know I haven't any viruses or
worms as I am steadily keeping my antivirus, etc up to date. Can anyone etell
me if there is a setting that I caan use to stop this from happening? I have
lost some material; downloads over this pain in the butt. Thanks anyone.

You may well have a virus or some other type of malware. Other possibilities
include overheating and bad RAM.

To prevent overheating, open the computer case and carefully blow out all
the dust and debris. You'll be surprised at how much piles up! In
particular, make sure all air vents are clear. Also, make sure all the fans
are running.

If you have recently added RAM, remove the additional RAM to see if that
solves the problem. Otherwise, use a memory tester such as MemTest86:
http://www.memtest86.com/

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

silent_kelly wrote:
> I can be working on something ( Ihave XP professional) and
> I will close a window, and my puter will reboot itself. I
> know I haven't any viruses or worms as I am steadily keeping
> my antivirus, etc up to date. Can anyone etell me if there
> is a setting that I caan use to stop this from happening? I
> have lost some material; downloads over this pain in the
> butt. Thanks anyone.

You might want to try the following:
Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System.
In System Properties, click on the Advanced tab.
In the Startup and Recovery section, click on the Settings
button.
In the page that pops up, remove the check mark next to
"Automatically restart".
Now, when the problems occurs again you should see a blue
screen with information that may help you troubleshoot the
problem on this web site:

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

You can also look in Event Viewer to see if there are any
entries that apply to this problem. Go to Start -> Control
Panel -> Administrative Tools-> Event Viewer. Look for entries
in the System and Application sections that occur the same time
your computer reboots.

Good luck

Neptsfan

Simple,
Right click "my computer" and select properties.
Select the "advanced" tab and click "settings" under "startup &
recovery"
De-tick "automatically restart"

Thats it..

Oops! Mustava....

--
mustava

I wish it was that easy. that tab has been "unclicked" for a while now; the
problem remains. But thanks