explorer.exe going insane

My explorer.exe process goes insane when my pc have been on for a while.
Using 50% of cpu and stealing 200+ MB of RAM. No viruses. Have read about
similar cases on the web, but no one seems to have a fix?! :( The PC can
work fine for hours at a time, but suddently it becomes slow. When i look in
task manager, explorer.exe is throwing a fit, using cpu and ram described
above. The only solution is to kill the process and restart it. Please help
me!!

Magne
6 answers Last reply
More about explorer insane

    Bonjour *Magne* :

    > My explorer.exe process goes insane when my pc have been on for a while.
    > Using 50% of cpu and stealing 200+ MB of RAM. No viruses. Have read about
    > similar cases on the web, but no one seems to have a fix?! :( The PC can
    > work fine for hours at a time, but suddently it becomes slow. When i look in
    > task manager, explorer.exe is throwing a fit, using cpu and ram described
    > above. The only solution is to kill the process and restart it. Please help
    > me!!
    >
    > Magne

    Check if the indexing service is launched...

    In Task Manager :
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
    and
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe

    This service is resource hungry and... useless.

    You can disable this service that way:

    Start | Run | services.msc

    select this service, stop it and select disabled.

    Let us know.
    :)
    --
    Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

    «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
    http://climenole.serendipia.net
    Soon on www.msmvps.com
    Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

    Hi Claude, wish it was that simple :-( but that service is not running on my
    machine. But thank you for trying to help me out.

    Magne

    "Claude LaFrenière" wrote:

    > Bonjour *Magne* :
    >
    > > My explorer.exe process goes insane when my pc have been on for a while.
    > > Using 50% of cpu and stealing 200+ MB of RAM. No viruses. Have read about
    > > similar cases on the web, but no one seems to have a fix?! :( The PC can
    > > work fine for hours at a time, but suddently it becomes slow. When i look in
    > > task manager, explorer.exe is throwing a fit, using cpu and ram described
    > > above. The only solution is to kill the process and restart it. Please help
    > > me!!
    > >
    > > Magne
    >
    > Check if the indexing service is launched...
    >
    > In Task Manager :
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
    > and
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
    >
    > This service is resource hungry and... useless.
    >
    > You can disable this service that way:
    >
    > Start | Run | services.msc
    >
    > select this service, stop it and select disabled.
    >
    > Let us know.
    > :)
    > --
    > Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)
    >
    > «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    > Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
    > http://climenole.serendipia.net
    > Soon on www.msmvps.com
    > Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

    Claude I do see it as a running service in task manager but what is the name
    to disable it in services.msc?

    "Claude LaFrenière" wrote:

    > Bonjour *Magne* :
    >
    > > My explorer.exe process goes insane when my pc have been on for a while.
    > > Using 50% of cpu and stealing 200+ MB of RAM. No viruses. Have read about
    > > similar cases on the web, but no one seems to have a fix?! :( The PC can
    > > work fine for hours at a time, but suddently it becomes slow. When i look in
    > > task manager, explorer.exe is throwing a fit, using cpu and ram described
    > > above. The only solution is to kill the process and restart it. Please help
    > > me!!
    > >
    > > Magne
    >
    > Check if the indexing service is launched...
    >
    > In Task Manager :
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
    > and
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
    >
    > This service is resource hungry and... useless.
    >
    > You can disable this service that way:
    >
    > Start | Run | services.msc
    >
    > select this service, stop it and select disabled.
    >
    > Let us know.
    > :)
    > --
    > Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)
    >
    > «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    > Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
    > http://climenole.serendipia.net
    > Soon on www.msmvps.com
    > Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

    Found it thanks.

    "Neo23" wrote:

    > Claude I do see it as a running service in task manager but what is the name
    > to disable it in services.msc?
    >
    > "Claude LaFrenière" wrote:
    >
    > > Bonjour *Magne* :
    > >
    > > > My explorer.exe process goes insane when my pc have been on for a while.
    > > > Using 50% of cpu and stealing 200+ MB of RAM. No viruses. Have read about
    > > > similar cases on the web, but no one seems to have a fix?! :( The PC can
    > > > work fine for hours at a time, but suddently it becomes slow. When i look in
    > > > task manager, explorer.exe is throwing a fit, using cpu and ram described
    > > > above. The only solution is to kill the process and restart it. Please help
    > > > me!!
    > > >
    > > > Magne
    > >
    > > Check if the indexing service is launched...
    > >
    > > In Task Manager :
    > > C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
    > > and
    > > C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
    > >
    > > This service is resource hungry and... useless.
    > >
    > > You can disable this service that way:
    > >
    > > Start | Run | services.msc
    > >
    > > select this service, stop it and select disabled.
    > >
    > > Let us know.
    > > :)
    > > --
    > > Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)
    > >
    > > «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    > > Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
    > > http://climenole.serendipia.net
    > > Soon on www.msmvps.com
    > > Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

    Hi *Neo23* :

    > Found it thanks.

    You are faster than me !

    :)
    --
    Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

    «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
    http://climenole.serendipia.net
    Soon on www.msmvps.com
    Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

    Hi *Magne* :

    > Hi Claude, wish it was that simple :-( but that service is not running on my
    > machine. But thank you for trying to help me out.
    >
    > Magne

    Well, something else...

    Try this :

    A)

    1- Set explorer to use à different process (multi-threads):

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
    Create this key:

    DesktopProcess
    Reg_DWord
    value 1

    2- Change the Windows priority separation :

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl
    Create this key :

    Win32PrioritySeparation
    Reg_DWord
    Value 26 in HEX

    B)

    A good maintenance of W xp is required from time to time.

    Here some hints:

    1- Use chkdsk to check the integrity of your hard disk:

    Windows explorer | right click on disk icon |
    properties | tab "tools" | "check errors" | check both options
    ok and restart your computer

    or

    Start | Run | cmd | chkdsk X: /F /R /V ,
    Where X= disk volume

    For the results un applications log:
    Souce : Winlogon
    ID : 1001

    2) Clean the temporary files:

    Start | Run | cleanmgr.exe

    3) Defrag the volumes of the HD :

    Start | Run | Defrag.msc

    For multiple volume defrag use this:
    http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/defrag_all.htm

    4) Check devices and drivers and upgrade them if needed

    Start | Run | devmgmt.msc

    a)
    Devices error codes:
    http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=310123

    b)
    To find recent drivers

    www.driverfiles.net [In Eng.]

    5) Check the services configuration:

    The mandatories services must be started and in automatic mode
    The others in manual...or disabled....

    More info on W xp services:
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

    6) Check the applications started at boot and keep them
    to the minimum.

    instead of using msconfig used Starter from CodeStuff...
    http://codestuff.mirrorz.com/

    Check for applications in your account and All users
    (from an admin account...)

    7) Control what's running on that PC with those tools:

    Autorun
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml
    *Don't delete anythings unless you are absolutly sure of what's you're doing*

    Process Explorer :
    (an enhanced Task Manager!)
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

    8) Defrag the protected files ( Registry , hiberfil.sys, Pagefile.sys etc.)

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml

    9) Optimize the prefetching

    Run this command :
    %windir%\system32\Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
    usefull only when the computer is idle...
    The service Task Scheduler must be running and in automatic mode.
    Check this value:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
    Management\PrefetchParameters
    The keyEnablePrefetcher REG_DWORD must be set to 3.

    10) Safe & Cool ...

    A)
    Keep your system free of malwares (virus, worms,spywares, etc.)

    Some tools and links:

    "Mini- antivirus" to be runned in safe mode:

    Stinger :
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    Avast cleaner :

    MS:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=fr

    Kaspersky:
    ftp://ftp.kaspersky.ru/utils/clrav.com

    Anti Root-Kits
    F-Secure (beta)
    http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/

    Online scan:

    Anti-trojan:
    http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/

    Anti-spy:
    http://www.spywareguide.com/txt_onlinescan.html
    http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=FindOutWhosWatchingYou&client=ComputerAssociates&sid=35715&CID=181432

    Anti-virus:
    www.trendmicro.com

    B)
    Keep your PC free of dust and check the temperatures with those tools:

    Everest:
    http://www.lavalys.com/

    SpeedFan
    http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

    No more idea....

    Let us know...

    :)
    --
    Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :-)

    «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
    Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
    http://climenole.serendipia.net
    Soon on www.msmvps.com
    Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com