I messed up Tony's suggestions on speeding up my computer...

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

I downloaded autoruns to help me clear my startup so it'd be quicker. After I
disabled quite a few things and rebooted, XP won't let me logon. It comes to
the welcome screen, I click my username, it acts like it's going to my
desktop, then logs off and returns to that screen. I'm fairly confident it's
because I disabled userinit, which is a pretty stupid thing to do I've come
to find out. Can anyone help me fix this? How can I add something back to the
startup when I can't get to the msconfig in Windows?

Thanks in advance.

Chuck

Hi *Chuck* :

> I downloaded autoruns to help me clear my startup so it'd be quicker. After I
> disabled quite a few things and rebooted, XP won't let me logon. It comes to
> the welcome screen, I click my username, it acts like it's going to my
> desktop, then logs off and returns to that screen. I'm fairly confident it's
> because I disabled userinit, which is a pretty stupid thing to do I've come
> to find out. Can anyone help me fix this? How can I add something back to the
> startup when I can't get to the msconfig in Windows?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Chuck

By Jove !
It's seems, Sir, that you take an hammer and hit your thumb instead of the nail.
Be sure that I will never invite you for hunting moose with me !
(However feel free to do it with my former wife :-D )

Restart your computer and hit (not with an hammer...) the F8 function key
to access the safe mode and, in the options, choose to boot with the
« Last Known Good Configuration.»

Let us know.
:)

--
Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :)

«My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
http://climenole.serendipia.net
Soon on www.msmvps.com
Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

I agree with your assessment of my lack of computer acumen!

I tried the last known configuration, but it didn't change anything. Because
it gets to the welcome screen, is it possible that XP thinks that is a good
configuration? That's the only thing I could think of . . .

Any other suggestions?

Chuck

"Claude LaFrenière" wrote:

> Hi *Chuck* :
>
> > I downloaded autoruns to help me clear my startup so it'd be quicker. After I
> > disabled quite a few things and rebooted, XP won't let me logon. It comes to
> > the welcome screen, I click my username, it acts like it's going to my
> > desktop, then logs off and returns to that screen. I'm fairly confident it's
> > because I disabled userinit, which is a pretty stupid thing to do I've come
> > to find out. Can anyone help me fix this? How can I add something back to the
> > startup when I can't get to the msconfig in Windows?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Chuck
>
> By Jove !
> It's seems, Sir, that you take an hammer and hit your thumb instead of the nail.
> Be sure that I will never invite you for hunting moose with me !
> (However feel free to do it with my former wife :-D )
>
> Restart your computer and hit (not with an hammer...) the F8 function key
> to access the safe mode and, in the options, choose to boot with the
> « Last Known Good Configuration.»
>
> Let us know.
> :)
>
> --
> Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :)
>
> «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
> Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
> http://climenole.serendipia.net
> Soon on www.msmvps.com
> Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

Hi *Chuck* :

> I agree with your assessment of my lack of computer acumen!
>
> I tried the last known configuration, but it didn't change anything. Because
> it gets to the welcome screen, is it possible that XP thinks that is a good
> configuration? That's the only thing I could think of . . .
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Chuck

Like say somebody : The situation is desesperate but not tragic !

*Keep smile Chuck* :) Your system will be up and running soon.

I guess the most easy way to fix that problem is to *repair* W xp.

If you have a original W xp CD (not an OEM such as HP-Compaq with 5 CDs...)
you can repair W xp that way :

1- Power on your computer and access to the bios setup.
Most of the time by pressing the F1 key at the beginning of the start up.

Check to be sure that the CD drive is the primary boot device
and the hard disk the secondary boot device.
This is important to boot from the W xp CD....

2- Insert the W xp CD in the drive...
The W xp will start...

*Do not choose the repair option at this moment*
(This is for a special console ... )

Let the installation program running...
follow all steps...

The installation program will discover that you already a W xp on the hard disk !

*At this moment choose the option to REPAIR...*

3- when it's finished reboot the computer, remove the CD from the drive
and W xp will boot again...

Chuck : nobodies perfect.
I personnaly did worst mistakes than that one...

Let us know.

:)

--

"Chuck" <Chuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I agree with your assessment of my lack of computer acumen!
>
>I tried the last known configuration, but it didn't change anything. Because
>it gets to the welcome screen, is it possible that XP thinks that is a good
>configuration? That's the only thing I could think of . . .
>
>Any other suggestions?

Try the F8 trick again and this time choose Safe Mode from the Startup
Menu.

Try logging in as Administrator rather than with your own user name.

When the computer is running in Safe Mode use System Restore and
choose the most recent restore point that is prior to your
misadventure.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

You may want to try this:

At the welcome scree, press Ctrl + Alt + Del Twice.

This will bring you to a log in screen that you can log in as someone other
than who's listed on the welcome screen.

For a username enter "Administrator" and for a password, it is the same as
the Administrator Password that you set up during the Windows Setup. If you
don't recall entering one, just leave it blank and try to log in.

Once logged in as an Administrator you can re-edit the files that were done
incorrectly.

--
Regards,

Lawrence Wong
> "Chuck" <Chuck@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>I agree with your assessment of my lack of computer acumen!
>>
>>I tried the last known configuration, but it didn't change anything.
>>Because
>>it gets to the welcome screen, is it possible that XP thinks that is a
>>good
>>configuration? That's the only thing I could think of . . .
>>
>>Any other suggestions?
>>

> Try the F8 trick again and this time choose Safe Mode from the Startup
> Menu.
>
> Try logging in as Administrator rather than with your own user name.
>
> When the computer is running in Safe Mode use System Restore and
> choose the most recent restore point that is prior to your
> misadventure.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Claude:

That did it--thanks! I'm back up and running with only a couple of hiccups
(my small office network didn't work initially, etc.).

Thanks very much for the help.

Chuck

"Claude LaFrenière" wrote:

> Hi *Chuck* :
>
> > I agree with your assessment of my lack of computer acumen!
> >
> > I tried the last known configuration, but it didn't change anything. Because
> > it gets to the welcome screen, is it possible that XP thinks that is a good
> > configuration? That's the only thing I could think of . . .
> >
> > Any other suggestions?
> >
> > Chuck
>
> Like say somebody : The situation is desesperate but not tragic !
>
> *Keep smile Chuck* :) Your system will be up and running soon.
>
> I guess the most easy way to fix that problem is to *repair* W xp.
>
> If you have a original W xp CD (not an OEM such as HP-Compaq with 5 CDs...)
> you can repair W xp that way :
>
> 1- Power on your computer and access to the bios setup.
> Most of the time by pressing the F1 key at the beginning of the start up.
>
> Check to be sure that the CD drive is the primary boot device
> and the hard disk the secondary boot device.
> This is important to boot from the W xp CD....
>
> 2- Insert the W xp CD in the drive...
> The W xp will start...
>
> *Do not choose the repair option at this moment*
> (This is for a special console ... )
>
> Let the installation program running...
> follow all steps...
>
> The installation program will discover that you already a W xp on the hard disk !
>
> *At this moment choose the option to REPAIR...*
>
> 3- when it's finished reboot the computer, remove the CD from the drive
> and W xp will boot again...
>
> Chuck : nobodies perfect.
> I personnaly did worst mistakes than that one...
>
> Let us know.
>
> :)
>
> --
> Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :)
>
> «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
> Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
> http://climenole.serendipia.net
> Soon on www.msmvps.com
> Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

Hi *Chuck* :

> Claude:
>
> That did it--thanks! I'm back up and running with only a couple of hiccups
> (my small office network didn't work initially, etc.).
>
> Thanks very much for the help.
>
> Chuck

Yeah ! Victory ! [Here a loop with the Snoopy's Spitfire !]

Now you can tell us what was the problem before this misadventure...

Let us know.

:)
--
Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :)

«My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
http://climenole.serendipia.net
Soon on www.msmvps.com
Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Claude:

I'm not sure what the problem was. I had been frustrated that my computer
had become terribly slow over the past few months, so I googled "slow XP
computer" and ran across a Microsoft article (by "Tony" someone) about steps
to take--removing unused programs, degragging, etc. The fateful step was
removing a bunch of things that were being started at Startup, which actually
helped some until I removed something that caused the problem that I
initially posted about (couldn't logon). I think I disabled something called
userinit--could that have been it? I tried to check on the things I was
disabling to make sure they weren't essential to startup, but I must have
messed up on one (duh?). Anyway, now that it's running, I've gone back to
msconfig, and I don't see one in there that's called userinit. I guess I'll
just stay away from msconfig for awhile.

My computer's still slow, but that's "a whole nother" issue . . .

Thanks for your help.

Chuck

"Claude LaFrenière" wrote:

> Hi *Chuck* :
>
> > Claude:
> >
> > That did it--thanks! I'm back up and running with only a couple of hiccups
> > (my small office network didn't work initially, etc.).
> >
> > Thanks very much for the help.
> >
> > Chuck
>
> Yeah ! Victory ! [Here a loop with the Snoopy's Spitfire !]
>
> Now you can tell us what was the problem before this misadventure...
>
> Let us know.
>
> :)
> --
> Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :)
>
> «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
> Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
> http://climenole.serendipia.net
> Soon on www.msmvps.com
> Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

Bonjour *Chuck* :

> Claude:
>
> I'm not sure what the problem was. I had been frustrated that my computer
> had become terribly slow over the past few months, so I googled "slow XP
> computer" and ran across a Microsoft article (by "Tony" someone) about steps
> to take--removing unused programs, degragging, etc. The fateful step was
> removing a bunch of things that were being started at Startup, which actually
> helped some until I removed something that caused the problem that I
> initially posted about (couldn't logon). I think I disabled something called
> userinit--could that have been it? I tried to check on the things I was
> disabling to make sure they weren't essential to startup, but I must have
> messed up on one (duh?). Anyway, now that it's running, I've gone back to
> msconfig, and I don't see one in there that's called userinit. I guess I'll
> just stay away from msconfig for awhile.
>
> My computer's still slow, but that's "a whole nother" issue . . .
>
> Thanks for your help.

Most of the time it's possible to recover normal performances
by removing malwares and some useless "utilities"...

Make a scan with HijackThis and post the scan log here.
I'll check it and tell you what bad or useless things you
have to remove or disable.

http://www.merijn.org/downloads.html

Check list for maintenance :

A)

1- Set explorer to use à different process (multi-threads):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
Create this key:

DesktopProcess
Reg_DWord
value 1

2- Change the Windows priority separation :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl
Create this key :

Win32PrioritySeparation
Reg_DWord
Value 26 in HEX

B)

A good maintenance of W xp is required from time to time.

Here some hints:

1- Use chkdsk to check the integrity of your hard disk:

Windows explorer | right click on disk icon |
properties | tab "tools" | "check errors" | check both options
ok and restart your computer

or

Start | Run | cmd | chkdsk X: /F /V ,
Where X= disk volume

For the results un applications log:
Souce : Winlogon
ID : 1001

2) Clean the temporary files:

Start | Run | cleanmgr.exe

3) Defrag the volumes of the HD :

Start | Run | Defrag.msc

For multiple volume defrag use this:
http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/defrag_all.htm

4) Check devices and drivers and upgrade them if needed

Start | Run | devmgmt.msc

Devices error codes:
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=310123

To find the drivers check the manufacturer links in Everest.
The drivers must comes from the manufacturer and nobody else...

5) Check the errors and warnings messages in the system and applications logs

and , if needed, fix those problem as soon as possible. Some "errors"
messages are not important and can be ignored. Ask in new groups and
make some seach at Event ID site and with Google...

Start | Run | eventvwr.msc

Hints for Event IDs:
http://www.eventid.net/

6) Check the services configuration:

The mandatories services must be started and in automatic mode
The others in manual...or disabled....

More info on W xp services:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
if you understand french:
http://climenole.serendipia.net/archives/3-La-Configuration-des-Services-de-Windows-XP.html
(english version soon...)

7) Check the applications started at boot and keep them
to the minimum.

instead of using msconfig used Starter from CodeStuff...
http://codestuff.mirrorz.com/

Check for applications in your account and All users
(from an admin account...)

8) Control what's running on that PC with those tools:

Autorun
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/autoruns.shtml
*Don't delete or disable anythings unless you are absolutly sure of what's you're doing* [as you know ;-) ]

Process Explorer :
(an enhanced Task Manager!)
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

9) Defrag the protected files ( Registry , hiberfil.sys, Pagefile.sys etc.)

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml

10) Optimize the prefetching

Run this command :
%windir%\system32\Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
usefull only when the computer is idle...
The service Task Scheduler must be running and in automatic mode.
Check this value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
Management\PrefetchParameters
The key EnablePrefetcher REG_DWORD must be set to 3.

11) Safe & Cool ...

A)
Keep your system free of malwares (virus, worms,spywares, etc.)

If you understand french:
http://climenole.serendipia.net/archives/5-Quelques-liens-utiles-pour-la-securite-de-Windows-XP.html
(english version soon...)

Check your firewall configuration and make sure your PC is "stealth":
www.grc.com
Run the "Shields Up" test .Everythings must be "green" ...

Update frequently your anti-virus and your anti-spywares.
( MS Anti-spyware, SpyBot S&D, Ad-Aware, Spyware Blaster and
Spyware Guard... more than one is better since no one are 100% reliable...)

And check if the AV is set to protect your PC "On Access"
(in the so-called "real-time") not only "on demand" ( scan
runned after the problem...)

Used an alternate Internet Browser and keep IE
only for Windows updates and MS specific stuff.
By alternate I mean :
Firefox or Opera (not Maxthon, Avant etc.)

Avoid to surf on the Web from an administrator account.

You have to "feed" your HOSTS file :

What is an Hosts file :
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/dictionary/hostsfile.html

The hosts from MVPs:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
Frequent updates and documented...

Tools for Hosts :

HostToggle:
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/HostsToggle/
and/or
WinPatrol:(good also for other insteresting stuff...)
http://www.winpatrol.com/download.htm

Some tools and links:

"Mini- antivirus" to be runned in safe mode:

Stinger :
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Avast cleaner :

MS:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=fr

Kaspersky:
ftp://ftp.kaspersky.ru/utils/clrav.com

Anti Root-Kits
F-Secure (beta)
http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/

Online scan:

Anti-trojan:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/

Anti-spy:
http://www.spywareguide.com/txt_onlinescan.html
http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=FindOutWhosWatchingYou&client=ComputerAssociates&sid=35715&CID=181432

Anti-virus:
www.trendmicro.com

B)
Keep your PC free of dust and check the temperatures with those tools:

Everest:
http://www.lavalys.com/

Remark:
Very good software but the warnings about the Bios
and the commercial links to that stuff are useless...

Bios upgrades *if needed* must comes from the PC manufacturer
or the Motherboard manufacturer and nobody else.
(Not needed most of the time : don't worry about this..)

SpeedFan
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Remark:
Good software but the temperatures of the hard disk are not
reported correctly and most of the time not related to the disk
reliability.
Better info from Everest...

No more idea....

Let us know...(and post your HijackThos log...)

:)
--
Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :)

«My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
http://climenole.serendipia.net
Soon on www.msmvps.com
Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Claude:

Here's the scan log, and in the meantime I'll work on some of those other
suggestions you sent, a couple of which I don't know how to do (like creating
a key?).

Thanks a lot for your help.

Chuck

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 11:32:40 AM, on 6/13/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Linksys\Wireless-B USB Network Adapter\NICServ.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\AdvTools\NPROTECT.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\X3watch\x3watch.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Plaxo\s1bc.a02680\InstallStub.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Chuck Webster\My Documents\My
Downloads\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL =
http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
http://www.excite.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} -
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Desktop Search Capture -
{7c1ce531-09e9-4fc5-9803-1c2956615786} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google
Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIE.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} -
c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program
Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} -
C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program
files\google\googletoolbar1.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [x3watch] C:\Program Files\X3watch\x3watch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PlaxoUpdate] C:\Program
Files\Plaxo\s1bc.a02680\InstallStub.exe -a
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM
Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program
files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program
files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program
files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel -
res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program
files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program
files\google\GoogleToolbar1.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} -
C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console -
{08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll (file
missing)
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite -
{2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft
ActiveSync\INETREPL.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} -
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\INETREPL.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... -
{2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft
ActiveSync\INETREPL.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} -
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} -
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger -
{FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {01113300-3E00-11D2-8470-0060089874ED} (Support.com Configuration
Class) - http://support.charter.com/sdccommon/download/tgctlcm.cab
O16 - DPF: {1DF36010-E276-11D4-A7C0-00C04F0453DD} (Stamps.com Secure Postal
Account Registration) -
https://secure.stamps.com/download/us/registration/3_0_0_786/sdcregie.cab
O16 - DPF: {4FAE30E1-EE9C-477D-8D06-BF8D3429B60F} (WebIQ Technology Client)
- http://webiq001.webiqonline.com/WebIQ/bin/WebIQ.cab
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) -
http://software-dl.real.com/172f06789aaf7c51e417/netzip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {814EA0DA-E0D9-4AA4-833C-A1A6D38E79E9} (DASWebDownload Class) -
http://das.microsoft.com/activate/cab/x86/i486/NTANSI/retail/DASAct.cab
O16 - DPF: {BE5431D2-0F30-11D4-89D9-00C04F509C0A} (SDCInstaller Class) -
http://www.stamps.com/download/us/cab/stamps/stamps.cab?r=0.409881591796875&file=stamps.cab
O16 - DPF: {CC05BC12-2AA2-4AC7-AC81-0E40F83B1ADF} (Live365Player Class) -
http://www.live365.com/players/play365.cab
O16 - DPF: {D1ACD2D8-7312-4D06-BECD-90EB094D2277} -
http://mediaplayer.walmart.com/installer/install.cab
O16 - DPF: {E87F6C8E-16C0-11D3-BEF7-009027438003} (Persits Software XUpload)
- https://www.hyperoffice.com/hyperoffice/personal/documents/XUpload.ocx
O16 - DPF: {EC8C56B1-D027-4AB2-AF63-F845CCEE59B5} (DocumentAccessor Class) -
https://www.bpm.lowermybills.com/billmanager/installs/csd/https%253A%252F%252Fwww.bpm.lowermybills.com%252Fbillmanager/AutologinHelper.cab
O16 - DPF: {FE0BD779-44EE-4A4B-AA2E-743C63F2E5E6} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) -
http://pdl.stream.aol.com/downloads/aol/unagi/ampx_en_dl.cab
O20 - Winlogon Notify: igfxcui - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\igfxsrvc.dll
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation -
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec
Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation -
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec
Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: NICSer_WUSB11 - Unknown owner - C:\Program
Files\Linksys\Wireless-B USB Network Adapter\NICServ.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) -
Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Norton Unerase Protection (NProtectService) - Symantec
Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\AdvTools\NPROTECT.EXE
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton
AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation -
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec
Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation -
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program

"Claude LaFrenière" wrote:

> [...]
>
> Remark:
> Very good software but the warnings about the Bios
> and the commercial links to that stuff are useless...
>
> Bios upgrades *if needed* must comes from the PC manufacturer
> or the Motherboard manufacturer and nobody else.
> (Not needed most of the time : don't worry about this..)
>
> SpeedFan
> http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
>
> Remark:
> Good software but the temperatures of the hard disk are not
> reported correctly and most of the time not related to the disk
> reliability.
> Better info from Everest...
>
> No more idea....
>
> Let us know...(and post your HijackThos log...)
>
> :)
> --
> Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :)
>
> «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»

HI *Chuck* :

> Claude:
>
> Here's the scan log, and in the meantime I'll work on some of those other
> suggestions you sent, a couple of which I don't know how to do (like creating
> a key?).

1)

*Good news* :) No malwares of any kind founded.

Just a couple of things to check (but not important):
Running processes:

a)
Useless debugger:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe

-> Start | Run | services.msc
select that service, stop it and choose manual or disable

b)
May be useless : you decide..
C:\Program Files\X3watch\x3watch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [x3watch] C:\Program Files\X3watch\x3watch.exe

-> Disable this with msconfig (do not erase..)
or CodeStuff Starter to see if it's really needed... ;-)

c)
Did this updater have to run every time ?
C:\Program Files\Plaxo\s1bc.a02680\InstallStub.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [PlaxoUpdate] C:\Program
Files\Plaxo\s1bc.a02680\InstallStub.exe -a

->Same procedure than the previous one...

d)
Windows update : good. But the Windows updates
happens one time a month (second thuesday).
Did you need this every day ? It's up to you.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe

This service can be stopped and set in manual.
But :
1- you have to remember to update at least each month
2- if you make a manual update you need to put this service
in automatic... ( strange but true ;-) )
Choose what is the best for you.

2)

*Not so good news*:
the "zillion" of Symantec Norton stuff are, as far as I know,
the most important factor of slow down...

On one side tour PC is malware free (very good!)
On the other you pay your security by a system slow down...
(Check also the maintenance check-up in my previous post...)

I guess you have to check the settings of those Symantec Norton
programs. Some settings may be changed...

What's the opinion of Symatec poeple about this issue ?
Remember : you pay for this . You are their client...
May be they can help you to fix some parameters of their programs....

3- about the registry keys :

Well , I give you a "Geek always glued to their PC way" !!! ;-)

a)

Use regedit to access the (right) registry branch
Right click in the right side of the screen
and create a new Reg_Dword key:
set it to the the right name (here DesktopPr0cess for example)
and set it to the right value (here 1)

Pictures are better !
http://cjoint.com/?goqrnGqfZU
http://cjoint.com/?goqrSH8avC
http://cjoint.com/?goqsrGMjrs

b)

An other way :

---------------------------------------- cut here-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"DesktopProcess"=dword:00000001

and that one also:

----------------------------------------- cut here -----------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl]
"Win32PrioritySeparation"=dword:00000026

Save those lines (including the blank line at the end) for each one
in a .txt file with notepad.exe ( create a new .txt document and paste
those line into that .txt). Save it under the name you want.
Then change the extension to .reg,
right click on the .reg and opened it with the registry editor.

This procedure add the key to the registry.

>> 1- Set explorer to use à different process (multi-threads):
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
>> Create this key:
>>
>> DesktopProcess
>> Reg_DWord
>> value 1
>>
>> 2- Change the Windows priority separation :
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl
>> Create this key :
>>
>> Win32PrioritySeparation
>> Reg_DWord
>> Value 26 in HEX