EQL: EverQuest Dragons of Norrath 15-Feb 2005

Last response: in Video Games
January 11, 2005 6:08:57 PM

Greetings,

SoE has a website up for the next EQL expansion, called Dragons of Norrath (DoN):
http://everquest.station.sony.com/dragonsofnorrath

The title looks like they're finally abandoning the weird-monster era, and returning to
the wonderful world of Dragonkind. Thank God.

The new guild stuff looks really cool, especially the Guild Halls: guild members can pool
mana for buffing, and....all buff timers stop while you're in the hall. Great for raid
build-ups. It would be very nice, but I won't hold out the hope that SoE will make the
Guild Halls open-access, ie, the expansion will not be required.

DON is scheduled for release 15-Feb 2005.
OoW will be all of 5 months old.

For the record:
EverQuest 28-Feb 1999
Ruins of Kunark 31-Mar 2000
Scars of Velious 04-Dec 2000
Shadows of Luclin 02-Dec 2001
Planes of Power 28-Oct 2002
Legacy of Ykesha 04-Mar 2003
Lost Dungeons of Norrath 08-Sep 2003
Gates of Discord 09-Feb 2004
Omens of War 13-Sep 2004
Dragons of Norrath 15-Feb 2005 (anticipated)

Best regards,

Tim ==

(substitute 'tcsys.com' for 'nospam.co.uk')
_________________

Seeq Endestroi
Paladin of Mithanial Marr, The Rathe
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=507035

Grave Wisdom / Grave Intentions (a Rathe guild)
http://www.gravewisdom.com

Visit the Surrender Dorothy web ! (http://dorothyrocks.com)
Visit the Crunch Monkey web ! (http://crunchmonkey.com)
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 7:29:57 PM

"Seeq Endestroi" wrote:
> DON is scheduled for release 15-Feb 2005.
> OoW will be all of 5 months old.

Can you say "Bleeding it dry"?

Crash
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 1:56:56 AM

Did you say something, Seeq Endestroi <seeq@tcsys.nospam.co.uk>?

>Greetings,
>
>SoE has a website up for the next EQL expansion, called Dragons of Norrath (DoN):
>http://everquest.station.sony.com/dragonsofnorrath

What on earth have they done to Firiona's boobs *now*??

Not to mention the rest of her... *shudder*
Cel
Retired druids & sundry
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 2:37:44 AM

Celaeno wrote:
> Did you say something, Seeq Endestroi <seeq@tcsys.nospam.co.uk>?
>
> >Greetings,
> >
> >SoE has a website up for the next EQL expansion, called Dragons of
Norrath (DoN):
> >http://everquest.station.sony.com/dragonsofnorrath
>
> What on earth have they done to Firiona's boobs *now*??
>

> Not to mention the rest of her... *shudder*
> Cel
> Retired druids & sundry

Is it me or does she look like she should be wearing tight levis, a
tee-shirt, big hair, and an electric guitar rather than a staff in her
hands? Eddie Van Halen would be proud.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 2:57:01 AM

"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Seeq Endestroi" wrote:
>> DON is scheduled for release 15-Feb 2005.
>> OoW will be all of 5 months old.
>
> Can you say "Bleeding it dry"?

Recently expansions have come out once every six months (two per year).
That's a pretty reasonable pace.

James
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 4:13:11 AM

Celaeno <celaeno@choklit.nospam.org> wrote in

> Did you say something, Seeq Endestroi <seeq@tcsys.nospam.co.uk>?
>
>>Greetings,
>>
>>SoE has a website up for the next EQL expansion, called Dragons of
>>Norrath (DoN): http://everquest.station.sony.com/dragonsofnorrath
>
> What on earth have they done to Firiona's boobs *now*??
>

> Not to mention the rest of her... *shudder*
> Cel
> Retired druids & sundry

LOL the guy that used to draw her quit or was fired
whateveryouwanttobelieve. While I never liked the fact that a half-naked
high elf was the spokeswoman for the game, at least the earlier pics of her
weren't too far into the realm of pron. At least when I started playing
she was something I could aspire to look like (no comments on my frumpy
haus-frau frame). She has since evolved into a character I can't relate to
at all. Come on, any woman would freeze to death in that outfit and that's
not the least of my problems with her.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 9:58:38 AM

Beal wrote:

> Celaeno wrote:
>
>>Did you say something, Seeq Endestroi <seeq@tcsys.nospam.co.uk>?
>>

>>>Greetings,
>>>
>>>SoE has a website up for the next EQL expansion, called Dragons of
>
> Norrath (DoN):
>
>>>http://everquest.station.sony.com/dragonsofnorrath
>>
>>What on earth have they done to Firiona's boobs *now*??
>>

>>Not to mention the rest of her... *shudder*
>>Cel
>>Retired druids & sundry
>

> Is it me or does she look like she should be wearing tight levis, a
> tee-shirt, big hair, and an electric guitar rather than a staff in her
> hands? Eddie Van Halen would be proud.

You're right, thats the pose!

However, she also looks anorexic, boney, the clothes are starting to
hand off her, her "boobs" as mentioned above have shrunk down a size;
its like the difference between Courtney Cox early in Friends and now.
Its even there in the facial features. I'm sure it wasn't deliberate,
but if you look at it this way, its high art; desperate for attention
now, aging and with her audience distracted by the fresh new
competition, she's gone off the deep end, buying into the media demand
that skinnier is prettier, she's stopped eating, or is sneaking off to
the privvy to vomit after every meal. Its a metaphor for EQ1 itself!

Makes me wonder if the artist might really be putting one over on the
corporate stooges at SOE, instead of simply unintentionally creating
this masterpiece.

Lance
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 6:56:22 PM

Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote in

> Beal wrote:
>
>> Celaeno wrote:
>>
>>>Did you say something, Seeq Endestroi
<seeq@tcsys.nospam.co.uk>?

Dragons of

>> Norrath (DoN):

>>>What on earth have they done to Firiona's boobs *now*??
>>>

>>>Not to mention the rest of her... *shudder*
>>>Cel
>>>Retired druids & sundry
>>

>> Is it me or does she look like she should be wearing tight
levis, a
>> tee-shirt, big hair, and an electric guitar rather than a staff
in
>> her hands? Eddie Van Halen would be proud.
>>
> You're right, thats the pose!
>
> However, she also looks anorexic, boney, the clothes are
starting to
> hand off her, her "boobs" as mentioned above have shrunk down a
size;
> its like the difference between Courtney Cox early in Friends
and now.
> Its even there in the facial features. I'm sure it wasn't
deliberate,
> but if you look at it this way, its high art; desperate for
attention
> now, aging and with her audience distracted by the fresh new
> competition, she's gone off the deep end, buying into the media
demand
> that skinnier is prettier, she's stopped eating, or is sneaking
off to
> the privvy to vomit after every meal. Its a metaphor for EQ1
itself!

> Makes me wonder if the artist might really be putting one over
on the
> corporate stooges at SOE, instead of simply unintentionally >
creating
> this masterpiece.
>
> Lance

And this, folks, is why I still read here though I don't play
any more.

/salute

--
Arch Convoker Mairelon Snapbang
Feral Lord Bosra Snowclaw

Mairelon, 15th Paladin
Silverhand

My WoW Mods: http://therealorang.com
FlexBar 1.21 Alpha is up - use
at your own risk.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 6:49:33 PM

Did you say something, Sean Kennedy <x@y.z>?

>Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote in

>> Makes me wonder if the artist might really be putting one over
>on the
>> corporate stooges at SOE, instead of simply unintentionally
>> creating this masterpiece.
>>
>> Lance
>>

>And this, folks, is why I still read here though I don't play
>any more.
>
>/salute

All I can say is great minds think alike.

Cel
Retired druids & sundry
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 5:23:32 PM

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 01:13:11 GMT in
<Xns95DBCDAD4F85B1bebinn11msn11com1@199.45.49.11>, Bebinn
<bebinn@invalid.com> graced the world with this thought:

>Celaeno <celaeno@choklit.nospam.org> wrote in
>
>> Did you say something, Seeq Endestroi <seeq@tcsys.nospam.co.uk>?
>>
>>>Greetings,
>>>
>>>SoE has a website up for the next EQL expansion, called Dragons of
>>>Norrath (DoN): http://everquest.station.sony.com/dragonsofnorrath
>>
>> What on earth have they done to Firiona's boobs *now*??
>>

>> Not to mention the rest of her... *shudder*
>> Cel
>> Retired druids & sundry
>>

>LOL the guy that used to draw her quit or was fired
>whateveryouwanttobelieve. While I never liked the fact that a half-naked
>high elf was the spokeswoman for the game, at least the earlier pics of her
>weren't too far into the realm of pron. At least when I started playing
>she was something I could aspire to look like (no comments on my frumpy
>haus-frau frame). She has since evolved into a character I can't relate to
>at all. Come on, any woman would freeze to death in that outfit and that's
>not the least of my problems with her.

I think the strangest thing of all has been that enduring hairdo;
although her boobs grow and shrink, The second version looked like
she'd been dropped on her head when she was a baby, and the last
version looked like she could break coconuts between her thighs, the
hair remains the same. And now she's doing impersonations of Keith
Richards.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 5:25:04 PM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:29:57 -0600 in <SpYEd.466$ZM6.64@fe05.lga>,
"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> graced the world with this thought:

>"Seeq Endestroi" wrote:
>> DON is scheduled for release 15-Feb 2005.
>> OoW will be all of 5 months old.
>
>Can you say "Bleeding it dry"?
>
>Crash

disappointed they're releasing new material for eq1 for some reason?
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 5:25:05 PM

"bizbee" wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:29:57 -0600 in <SpYEd.466$ZM6.64@fe05.lga>,
> "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> graced the world with this thought:
>
> >"Seeq Endestroi" wrote:
> >> DON is scheduled for release 15-Feb 2005.
> >> OoW will be all of 5 months old.
> >
> >Can you say "Bleeding it dry"?
> >
> >Crash
> >
> disappointed they're releasing new material for eq1 for some reason?

Disappointed? Hardly. However, this does show some colors.

Y'see, there's no really new content here. Their advertising points are:

Guild bank.
Guild hall.
In game email.
Barter system.
Mass corpse summoning.
The ability to wield potions from a 'bandolier'.

You have to do a little digging to find anything about new zones, and when
you do it's almost as if it's an afterthought. 25 bucks for this?

This 'expansion' could easily have been done for free as a series of
patches. They've given this type of funtionality before as patches. For
example, I see no real difference between the ability to mass summon corpses
and the implementation of soulbinders. Soulbinders, IIRC, came as part of a
patch.

There's no one thing here that's as all encompassing as the graphics update,
and that was a patch. Remember back in the day when they actually gave away
free zones like The Warrens, Stonebrunt, and Veksar?

Now, I realize it's not a philanthropy ... they're in business to make
money. It's just become quite apparent that they're going to squeeze the
goose for as long as they get anything resembling gold out of it.

That's what bean counters do, and that's just about all they have left on
the EQLive side of the building.

Crash
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 7:09:31 PM

In article <s7TFd.9755$%S1.5077@fe05.lga>,
Crash86 <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote:
>they may be considering cutting their losses and dancing
>with the girl they brought, so to speak.

They should combine the two games and just average things out:

Everquest 1.5!
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 9:24:07 PM

> Disappointed? Hardly. However, this does show some colors.
>
> Y'see, there's no really new content here. Their advertising points are:
>
> Guild bank.
> Guild hall.
> In game email.
> Barter system.
> Mass corpse summoning.
> The ability to wield potions from a 'bandolier'.
>
> You have to do a little digging to find anything about new zones, and when
> you do it's almost as if it's an afterthought. 25 bucks for this?

The added zone description is pretty much cut/paste from every other
release. "New monsters, new treasures, new zones!" This is a given with
every expansion. The real selling points, since they can't sell the
zones/loot without spoilers, are the add-ons. Look at the features page for
Omens of War: http://everquest.station.sony.com/omensofwar/ - any mention of
the zones? Would you say people are disappointed with the zones in OoW?

> This 'expansion' could easily have been done for free as a series of
> patches.

You're saying this with no idea how many zones are being added. If this
is LoY-sized, you have a point. But if it's OoW sized, do you still think
the same way?

> They've given this type of funtionality before as patches. For
> example, I see no real difference between the ability to mass summon
> corpses
> and the implementation of soulbinders. Soulbinders, IIRC, came as part of
> patch.

You can use this logic for almost anything in the game, though. They've
given us free zones before - why not now? They've given us new AA's for free
before - why not now? Tradeskill recipes, spells - both done for free
before, why make us pay now? You're assuming the size of the expansion
before the spoilers from Beta come in.

> There's no one thing here that's as all encompassing as the graphics
> update,

There's a graphics update in this expansion too. *cough*

> and that was a patch. Remember back in the day when they actually gave
> away
> free zones like The Warrens, Stonebrunt, and Veksar?

I also remember when the best product they ever made was a bunch of new
old-world NPCs and five randomized dungeon themes that were as cookie cutter
as it gets. Very little in the way of tradeskill content, no new AA's, all
spells were No Drop and many were obsolete for higher-level characters - and
players loved it dearly. There's more to making an expansion great than just
"zones".

James
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 9:24:08 PM

"James Grahame" wrote:

> "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Disappointed? Hardly. However, this does show some colors.
> >
> > Y'see, there's no really new content here. Their advertising points
are:

> > Guild bank.
> > Guild hall.
> > In game email.
> > Barter system.
> > Mass corpse summoning.
> > The ability to wield potions from a 'bandolier'.
> >
> > You have to do a little digging to find anything about new zones, and
when
> > you do it's almost as if it's an afterthought. 25 bucks for this?
>
> The added zone description is pretty much cut/paste from every other
> release. "New monsters, new treasures, new zones!" This is a given with
> every expansion. The real selling points, since they can't sell the
> zones/loot without spoilers, are the add-ons. Look at the features page
for
> Omens of War: http://everquest.station.sony.com/omensofwar/ - any mention
of
> the zones? Would you say people are disappointed with the zones in OoW?

Speaking for myself, I was. The main reason I bought OoW was for the tasks,
and they were pretty much useless. YMMV.

> > This 'expansion' could easily have been done for free as a series of
> > patches.
>
> You're saying this with no idea how many zones are being added. If
this
> is LoY-sized, you have a point. But if it's OoW sized, do you still think
> the same way?

Like you, I can only go by what they've advertised. They mentioned one new
zone and a rework of Lavastorm.

My comments were based purely on that.

If they release dthe number of new zones they did in OoW, I would rethink my
position. But why not advertise it?

> > They've given this type of funtionality before as patches. For
> > example, I see no real difference between the ability to mass summon
> > corpses
> > and the implementation of soulbinders. Soulbinders, IIRC, came as part
of
> > patch.
>
> You can use this logic for almost anything in the game, though.
They've
> given us free zones before - why not now? They've given us new AA's for
free
> before - why not now? Tradeskill recipes, spells - both done for free
> before, why make us pay now? You're assuming the size of the expansion
> before the spoilers from Beta come in.

If they're throwing bones to tradeskiller, again ... why not advertise it?
I hadn't even noticed until you brought it up that tradeskilling per se
isn't mentioned at all, unless 'potion bandoliers' are meant as ways to
reinforce alchemy.

> > There's no one thing here that's as all encompassing as the graphics
> > update,
>
> There's a graphics update in this expansion too. *cough*

That's bad news for those who buy it. Their recent track record at graphics
enhancements isn't such that it could be used as a selling point. ;-P

> > and that was a patch. Remember back in the day when they actually gave
> > away
> > free zones like The Warrens, Stonebrunt, and Veksar?
>
> I also remember when the best product they ever made was a bunch of
new
> old-world NPCs and five randomized dungeon themes that were as cookie
cutter
> as it gets. Very little in the way of tradeskill content, no new AA's, all
> spells were No Drop and many were obsolete for higher-level characters -
and
> players loved it dearly.

That may be, in your opinion, the best expansion that SOE made. IMO, the
best expansion in the history of the game belongs to Verant. Again, YMMV.

> There's more to making an expansion great than just "zones".

In all deference to tradeskillers, without new content in the form of new
zones that contain new mobs that hold new challenges the game becomes
stagnant. Oh, yay .. I can go to a zone that I've long since outgrown or
become tired of hoping for new drops so I can tailor a new hood. Yippee
skippy.

If it wasn't like that before, it's certainly become that way since the
introduction of the bazaar. Why schlep through some boring zone for the drop
myself? I can wait for some other schmoe to do it and I'll either buy the
drop or buy the hood itself.

Crash
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 9:24:09 PM

In article <57VFd.9865$es3.8299@fe05.lga>,
Crash86 <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote:
>Oh, yay .. I can go to a zone that I've long since outgrown or
>become tired of hoping for new drops so I can tailor a new hood. Yippee
>skippy.

Well, if they make the new recipes

A) possible. Throw in some stuff that trivials at 100 as well
as 300, and dont make every new recipe require a rare drop from a raid mob.

B) interesting. The results dont have to be uber but they should
be cool. A large single stat boost for instance (+15 wis) or even a neat
but useless effect like fireworks. The idea is that I want some reason
to make something other than "get skillup".

I give most of my tradeskilled stuff away. Or just drop it. Really,
2 gold for an acrylia studded mask? Grats rot.
January 15, 2005 12:24:13 AM

"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> writes:

> "James Grahame" wrote:
> >
> > "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in message
> If they're throwing bones to tradeskiller, again ... why not advertise it?
> I hadn't even noticed until you brought it up that tradeskilling per se
> isn't mentioned at all, unless 'potion bandoliers' are meant as ways to
> reinforce alchemy.

I don't know, to me "New spells and Tradeskill Recipes" sounds like
they're saying there'll be new tradeskill recipes.

> > > There's no one thing here that's as all encompassing as the graphics
> > > update,
> >
> > There's a graphics update in this expansion too. *cough*
>
> That's bad news for those who buy it. Their recent track record at graphics
> enhancements isn't such that it could be used as a selling point. ;-P

The graphics update is in the form of new models, AIUI, that's not
likely to break anything (though whether they'll be an actual
improvement is anyone's guess, of course).

> That may be, in your opinion, the best expansion that SOE made. IMO, the
> best expansion in the history of the game belongs to Verant. Again, YMMV.

Whether it was the best expansion or not, it certainly was very
popular with players.
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 4:35:25 AM

wrat@panix.com (the wharf rat) writes:
> Well, if they make the new recipes
>
> A) possible. Throw in some stuff that trivials at 100 as well
> as 300, and dont make every new recipe require a rare drop from a raid mob.
>
> B) interesting. The results dont have to be uber but they should
> be cool. A large single stat boost for instance (+15 wis) or even a neat
> but useless effect like fireworks. The idea is that I want some reason
> to make something other than "get skillup".

Hey, I'd settle for "get skillup" if they met the first requirement,
especially with high-ish trivials. I've started my push for GM tailor
and was researching what new recipes have become available since I
first checked into it. Hm, Muramite Needle, triv 202, uses just some
bone chips and Muramite Residue . . . but good luck getting any of that
unless you're level 65+. At least its droppable so you can buy it in
the bazaar if you're rich enough.

> I give most of my tradeskilled stuff away. Or just drop it. Really,
> 2 gold for an acrylia studded mask? Grats rot.

Don't be silly! I've been doing acrylia studded masks recently too,
and I did it sitting next to my Tribute Master. Those masks turn in
for 7 tribute each. Not great, but it adds up, and it sure beats
having it rot.

-- Don.

-- Sukrasisx, Monk 51 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 42 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- http://www.iCynic.com/~don
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 3:00:47 AM

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 23:26:18 +0100, Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:

<snip>
>I was one of them,though I dont want another expansion,I only want
>them to fix old bugs in EQ1 before taking my MONTHLY FEES from EQ1 to
>develope another game.

What a ludicrous statement. You're paying them to provide you
EQ, which they do. What they do with their profits is their
business, not yours. The money in their pockets is theirs, not
yours. If you don't think you're getting your money's worth
out of EQ, then quit spending money to play EQ. Once you've
paid them that money it isn't yours anymore. You are no more
entitled to dictate how SOE spends their money than they are
entitled to dictate how you spend yours.

kaev
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 4:45:58 AM

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 08:55:39 -0600 in <52RFd.9687$my.807@fe05.lga>,
"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> graced the world with this thought:

>"bizbee" wrote:
>> On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 16:29:57 -0600 in <SpYEd.466$ZM6.64@fe05.lga>,

>> >Can you say "Bleeding it dry"?
>> >
>> >Crash
>> >
>> disappointed they're releasing new material for eq1 for some reason?
>
>Disappointed? Hardly. However, this does show some colors.
>
>Y'see, there's no really new content here. Their advertising points are:
>
>Guild bank.
>Guild hall.
>In game email.
>Barter system.
>Mass corpse summoning.
>The ability to wield potions from a 'bandolier'.
>
>You have to do a little digging to find anything about new zones, and when
>you do it's almost as if it's an afterthought. 25 bucks for this?
>
>This 'expansion' could easily have been done for free as a series of
>patches. They've given this type of funtionality before as patches. For
>example, I see no real difference between the ability to mass summon corpses
>and the implementation of soulbinders. Soulbinders, IIRC, came as part of a
>patch.
>
>There's no one thing here that's as all encompassing as the graphics update,
>and that was a patch. Remember back in the day when they actually gave away
>free zones like The Warrens, Stonebrunt, and Veksar?
>
>Now, I realize it's not a philanthropy ... they're in business to make
>money. It's just become quite apparent that they're going to squeeze the
>goose for as long as they get anything resembling gold out of it.
>
>That's what bean counters do, and that's just about all they have left on
>the EQLive side of the building.
>
>Crash

Of course, if you want most of that stuff, you could head for EQ2...
see, I'm not bothered because I can find plenty to do without a metric
assload of new zones I won't see. Obviously this seems to be more
guild oriented. Whining about it is kind of silly, though.
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 4:51:51 AM

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:33:21 -0600 in <57VFd.9865$es3.8299@fe05.lga>,
"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> graced the world with this thought:

>Speaking for myself, I was. The main reason I bought OoW was for the tasks,
>and they were pretty much useless. YMMV.

then you obviously are missing something there, too. I've picked up
probably thirty LEVELS between various characters doing tasks in the
past five or six weeks.
You don't seem to be quite up to snuff here, to be whining about a new
release--perhaps you need to get the old ones down first.
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 10:18:18 AM

foreverspam@lamenames.net (kaev) wrote:
] What a ludicrous statement. You're paying them to provide you
] EQ, which they do. What they do with their profits is their
] business, not yours. The money in their pockets is theirs, not
] yours. If you don't think you're getting your money's worth

Exactly.

JimP.
--
djim70 at tyhe cableone dot net. Disclaimer: Standard.
http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/new.html AD&D Dec 5, 2004

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 01:51:51 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:33:21 -0600 in <57VFd.9865$es3.8299@fe05.lga>,
>"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> graced the world with this thought:
>
>>Speaking for myself, I was. The main reason I bought OoW was for the tasks,
>>and they were pretty much useless. YMMV.
>
>then you obviously are missing something there, too. I've picked up
>probably thirty LEVELS between various characters doing tasks in the
>past five or six weeks.
>You don't seem to be quite up to snuff here, to be whining about a new
>release--perhaps you need to get the old ones down first.

I had the impression that Tasks were intended to be soloable.

My first Task was easy - basically just a sightseeing trip from OT to SF to DL. Done in
20 minutes, I don't remember the XP but it was at least equal to gain if I had been
killing mobs for 20 minutes.

My second Task will likely go unfinished. It requires me to take down what will surely
amount to several dozen froggies in Sebilis. SOLO? Now, I'll grant you that this would
be an easy chore, if these were going to be toe-to-toe battles with a single mob.
Unfortunately, the froggies are low and high blue, KOS, social, and flee at 20%. No way
am I gonna try to solo in Sebilis without a slower or a healer.

Best regards,

Tim ==

(substitute 'tcsys.com' for 'nospam.co.uk')
_________________

Seeq Endestroi
Paladin of Mithanial Marr, The Rathe
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=507035

Grave Wisdom / Grave Intentions (a Rathe guild)
http://www.gravewisdom.com

Visit the Surrender Dorothy web ! (http://dorothyrocks.com)
Visit the Crunch Monkey web ! (http://crunchmonkey.com)
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 9:15:44 PM

"bizbee" <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:33:21 -0600 in <57VFd.9865$es3.8299@fe05.lga>,
> "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> graced the world with this thought:
>
>>Speaking for myself, I was. The main reason I bought OoW was for the
>>tasks,
>>and they were pretty much useless. YMMV.
>
> then you obviously are missing something there, too. I've picked up
> probably thirty LEVELS between various characters doing tasks in the
> past five or six weeks.
> You don't seem to be quite up to snuff here, to be whining about a new
> release--perhaps you need to get the old ones down first.

Wow, you're the only person I've heard of that utilizes them to that
extent. What level of character(s) were you playing? What task masters did
you use? Did you find options for characters that traditionally are poor
soloists? A lot of the ones I've seen (DL, Taskmaster Klok) were "go solo
Nurga, wretch" with the odd "go here, talk to Bob". If the "go here, talk to
Bob" ones are as worthwhile as you are indicating, I might make more use of
them.

James
Anonymous
January 17, 2005 10:49:42 PM

James Grahame <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote:
:
: Wow, you're the only person I've heard of that utilizes them to that
: extent. What level of character(s) were you playing? What task masters did
: you use? Did you find options for characters that traditionally are poor
: soloists? A lot of the ones I've seen (DL, Taskmaster Klok) were "go solo
: Nurga, wretch" with the odd "go here, talk to Bob". If the "go here, talk to
: Bob" ones are as worthwhile as you are indicating, I might make more use of
: them.

It's my experience that if you elect to go and talk to Bob:
"Hail, Bob."
"Nice to meet you, Hughie. Go solo Nurga."

We all know the tasks need to be fixed, as they're uncompletable for various
classes at various level ranges. I'd at least partially settle for
having enough information to choose between tasks realistically. Oh, and
not being locked out of doing another task for over a week once I
completed one. That was when I gave up tasks entirely. ("It's a known
bug. Closing your petition.")

Hugh.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 7:08:33 PM

Seeq Endestroi <seeq@tcsys.nospam.co.uk> wrote in

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 01:51:51 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net>
> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:33:21 -0600 in <57VFd.9865$es3.8299@fe05.lga>,
>>"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> graced the world with this thought:
>>
>>>Speaking for myself, I was. The main reason I bought OoW was for the
>>>tasks, and they were pretty much useless. YMMV.
>>
>>then you obviously are missing something there, too. I've picked up
>>probably thirty LEVELS between various characters doing tasks in the
>>past five or six weeks.
>>You don't seem to be quite up to snuff here, to be whining about a new
>>release--perhaps you need to get the old ones down first.
>
> I had the impression that Tasks were intended to be soloable.
>
> My first Task was easy - basically just a sightseeing trip from OT to
> SF to DL. Done in 20 minutes, I don't remember the XP but it was at
> least equal to gain if I had been killing mobs for 20 minutes.
>
> My second Task will likely go unfinished. It requires me to take down
> what will surely amount to several dozen froggies in Sebilis. SOLO?
> Now, I'll grant you that this would be an easy chore, if these were
> going to be toe-to-toe battles with a single mob. Unfortunately, the
> froggies are low and high blue, KOS, social, and flee at 20%. No way
> am I gonna try to solo in Sebilis without a slower or a healer.

Paladin? You have root, right? What level are you?

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 21 Dwarven Mystic, 20 Sage
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 7:08:34 PM

On 18 Jan 2005 16:08:33 GMT, Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

>Seeq Endestroi <seeq@tcsys.nospam.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 01:51:51 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:33:21 -0600 in <57VFd.9865$es3.8299@fe05.lga>,
>>>"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> graced the world with this thought:

>>>then you obviously are missing something there, too. I've picked up
>>>probably thirty LEVELS between various characters doing tasks in the
>>>past five or six weeks.
>>>You don't seem to be quite up to snuff here, to be whining about a new
>>>release--perhaps you need to get the old ones down first.
>>
>> I had the impression that Tasks were intended to be soloable.
>>
>> My first Task was easy - basically just a sightseeing trip from OT to
>> SF to DL. Done in 20 minutes, I don't remember the XP but it was at
>> least equal to gain if I had been killing mobs for 20 minutes.
>>
>> My second Task will likely go unfinished. It requires me to take down
>> what will surely amount to several dozen froggies in Sebilis. SOLO?
>> Now, I'll grant you that this would be an easy chore, if these were
>> going to be toe-to-toe battles with a single mob. Unfortunately, the
>> froggies are low and high blue, KOS, social, and flee at 20%. No way
>> am I gonna try to solo in Sebilis without a slower or a healer.
>>

>Paladin? You have root, right? What level are you?

I'm Paladin, level 60 + 12aa and growing.

I've found Root and Instill to be unreliable at best, particularly with mobs at level 50
and above. My Alteration skill is at the cap of 235.

At 60, it's difficult enough to earn XP on my server - hard enough so that I don't want to
assume the risk of death in a now-unpopular zone where it would be very difficult to get a
Resurrection.
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 11:29:54 PM

> On 18 Jan 2005 16:08:33 GMT, Graeme Faelban
> <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>>Seeq Endestroi <seeq@tcsys.nospam.co.uk> wrote in

>>> I had the impression that Tasks were intended to be soloable.
>>>
>>> My first Task was easy - basically just a sightseeing trip from OT
>>> to SF to DL. Done in 20 minutes, I don't remember the XP but it was
>>> at least equal to gain if I had been killing mobs for 20 minutes.
>>>
>>> My second Task will likely go unfinished. It requires me to take
>>> down what will surely amount to several dozen froggies in Sebilis.
>>> SOLO? Now, I'll grant you that this would be an easy chore, if these
>>> were going to be toe-to-toe battles with a single mob.
>>> Unfortunately, the froggies are low and high blue, KOS, social, and
>>> flee at 20%. No way am I gonna try to solo in Sebilis without a
>>> slower or a healer.
>>>

>>Paladin? You have root, right? What level are you?
>
> I'm Paladin, level 60 + 12aa and growing.
>
> I've found Root and Instill to be unreliable at best, particularly
> with mobs at level 50 and above. My Alteration skill is at the cap of
> 235.
>
> At 60, it's difficult enough to earn XP on my server - hard enough so
> that I don't want to assume the risk of death in a now-unpopular zone
> where it would be very difficult to get a Resurrection.

Um, 60 paladin, 90% rez?

DA for a quick escape if things go south, you don't have to go in deep
for the frogs, stun for those nasty casters, root to stop running...

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 21 Dwarven Mystic, 20 Sage
Anonymous
January 18, 2005 11:29:55 PM

On 18 Jan 2005 20:29:54 GMT, Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

>Seeq Endestroi <seeq@tcsys.nospam.co.uk> wrote in
>
>> On 18 Jan 2005 16:08:33 GMT, Graeme Faelban
>> <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Seeq Endestroi <seeq@tcsys.nospam.co.uk> wrote in

>>>Paladin? You have root, right? What level are you?
>>
>> I'm Paladin, level 60 + 12aa and growing.
>>
>> I've found Root and Instill to be unreliable at best, particularly
>> with mobs at level 50 and above. My Alteration skill is at the cap of
>> 235.
>>
>> At 60, it's difficult enough to earn XP on my server - hard enough so
>> that I don't want to assume the risk of death in a now-unpopular zone
>> where it would be very difficult to get a Resurrection.
>>

>Um, 60 paladin, 90% rez?

Yeah. <<sigh>> I want that extra 6% :->

>DA for a quick escape if things go south, you don't have to go in deep
>for the frogs, stun for those nasty casters, root to stop running...

DA is what, 18 seconds long? And you can't cast for the duration. I sure couldn't waste
any steps on the way to the ZO. And whom might I train along the way?

But you're right, I should be able to root and stun the casters while working on the
Warrior froggies. I guess I should go practice a little bit. :->
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 1:28:45 AM

> On 18 Jan 2005 20:29:54 GMT, Graeme Faelban
> <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>>Seeq Endestroi <seeq@tcsys.nospam.co.uk> wrote in

>>> I'm Paladin, level 60 + 12aa and growing.
>>>
>>> I've found Root and Instill to be unreliable at best, particularly
>>> with mobs at level 50 and above. My Alteration skill is at the cap
>>> of 235.
>>>
>>> At 60, it's difficult enough to earn XP on my server - hard enough
>>> so that I don't want to assume the risk of death in a now-unpopular
>>> zone where it would be very difficult to get a Resurrection.
>>>

>>Um, 60 paladin, 90% rez?
>
> Yeah. <<sigh>> I want that extra 6% :->
>
>>DA for a quick escape if things go south, you don't have to go in deep
>>for the frogs, stun for those nasty casters, root to stop running...
>
> DA is what, 18 seconds long? And you can't cast for the duration. I
> sure couldn't waste any steps on the way to the ZO. And whom might I
> train along the way?

20 seconds. If all you are after is frogs in OS, then you would not be
training anyone, and would be easily close enough to the zone out to be
able to reach it.

> But you're right, I should be able to root and stun the casters while
> working on the Warrior froggies. I guess I should go practice a
> little bit. :->

It has been some time since I've soloed around the entry/exit area in OS,
but, as I recall, if you take care, you can limit adds by pulling back
towards the zone in area. You should get 2 at most at any time.
Personally, I'd root the warriors, and stun and kill the casters first.
Another thing to consider, stun is fairly effective against runners as
well. Don't recall off hand how many stuns paladins get, but you should
be able to come close to stun locking a mob when it is running.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont in <Insanity Plea>
Graeme, 21 Dwarven Mystic, 20 Sage
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 6:58:03 AM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 09:14:22 -0600, Seeq Endestroi
<seeq@tcsys.nospam.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>
>Agreed. Divine Might is just a 65DD proc. Very nice to have, doubly so considering the
>duration and mana cost, but definitely not necessary. And when you consider that it
>breaks Stuns and Roots like Lindsey Lohan goes through Red Bull...well, there you are.

Um, nothing breaks stuns. Spinstuns on mobs (i.e. Whirl til you hurl)
are broken by melee damage. Mezzes are broken by any damage. But
ordinary stuns do not break (Aside: the alleged 10 second stuns we
Paladins have are hard-coded to last only 5.25 seconds on mobs, as
are the 6 second stuns we share with Clerics, but they last full
duration on players in PvP, or would if there was a snowball's
chance in hell of actually landing a stun in PvP.)

kaev
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 3:50:14 PM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 18:15:44 GMT in <khTGd.47$u_1.32@edtnps91>, "James
Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> graced the world with this thought:

>"bizbee" <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:33:21 -0600 in <57VFd.9865$es3.8299@fe05.lga>,
>> "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> graced the world with this thought:
>>
>>>Speaking for myself, I was. The main reason I bought OoW was for the
>>>tasks,
>>>and they were pretty much useless. YMMV.
>>
>> then you obviously are missing something there, too. I've picked up
>> probably thirty LEVELS between various characters doing tasks in the
>> past five or six weeks.
>> You don't seem to be quite up to snuff here, to be whining about a new
>> release--perhaps you need to get the old ones down first.
>
> Wow, you're the only person I've heard of that utilizes them to that
>extent. What level of character(s) were you playing? What task masters did
>you use? Did you find options for characters that traditionally are poor
>soloists? A lot of the ones I've seen (DL, Taskmaster Klok) were "go solo
>Nurga, wretch" with the odd "go here, talk to Bob". If the "go here, talk to
>Bob" ones are as worthwhile as you are indicating, I might make more use of
>them.
>
> James

I've used my druid, my wizard, beastlord and mostly my necro. I see
the masters in OT and DL, but it's pretty much played out that they
all give the same task choices for a given level range.

I think a lot of people seem to misunderstand what's going on with a
task a lot of times. I find that I'm sent to a level appropriate area
and I hunt there <and> do the task at the same time. The task adds a
hell of a bonus once it's completed. If you don't like the selections
the guy gives you, turn them down and ask again.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 3:57:01 PM

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:53:27 -0600 in
<8u8ou0hbn83im229qlokdn1vmh2iqf4p7g@4ax.com>, Seeq Endestroi
<seeq@tcsys.nospam.co.uk> graced the world with this thought:

>On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 01:51:51 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:33:21 -0600 in <57VFd.9865$es3.8299@fe05.lga>,
>>"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> graced the world with this thought:
>>
>>>Speaking for myself, I was. The main reason I bought OoW was for the tasks,
>>>and they were pretty much useless. YMMV.
>>
>>then you obviously are missing something there, too. I've picked up
>>probably thirty LEVELS between various characters doing tasks in the
>>past five or six weeks.
>>You don't seem to be quite up to snuff here, to be whining about a new
>>release--perhaps you need to get the old ones down first.
>
>I had the impression that Tasks were intended to be soloable.
>
>My first Task was easy - basically just a sightseeing trip from OT to SF to DL. Done in
>20 minutes, I don't remember the XP but it was at least equal to gain if I had been
>killing mobs for 20 minutes.
>
>My second Task will likely go unfinished. It requires me to take down what will surely
>amount to several dozen froggies in Sebilis. SOLO? Now, I'll grant you that this would
>be an easy chore, if these were going to be toe-to-toe battles with a single mob.
>Unfortunately, the froggies are low and high blue, KOS, social, and flee at 20%. No way
>am I gonna try to solo in Sebilis without a slower or a healer.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Tim ==
Just burn your current task and ask for another selection. If you
don't like the choices, ask again.
I know what you mean, though. I had one I was doing with my necro, who
was 35 at the time, and had to drag my 62 druid in to clear a freakin'
path... and even she had problems. Yes, it was Nurga.
Then I keep drawing the Sebilis and Veksar tasks. I finally gave up on
Sebillis last night, the only real chance of doing that is to show up
behind a group who moves in and wipes most everything so you can get
through.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 12:50:04 PM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 03:58:03 GMT, foreverspam@lamenames.net (kaev) wrote:

>...the alleged 10 second stuns we Paladins have
>are hard-coded to last only 5.25 seconds on mobs, as
>are the 6 second stuns we share with Clerics..., but they last full
>duration on players in PvP, or would if there was a snowball's
>chance in hell of actually landing a stun in PvP.)

Ah, so that explains why QWoT seems to break on me.

Some time ago, I dueled a friend to get an education in stuns. He was PAL/56, I was in my
mid-thirties. He hit me with QWoT and the world ground to a halt for 10 full seconds. I
always assumed that I'd have the same power over MOBs when I dinged 54.

So QWoT is not breaking early, it's just running out way ahead of the timer as published
by Lucy. Swell.
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 5:22:50 PM

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:08:57 -0600, Seeq Endestroi <seeq@tcsys.nospam.co.uk> wrote:

>DON is scheduled for release 15-Feb 2005.
>OoW will be all of 5 months old.

Are you yet aquiver with anticipation?

I'll be at work when DoN goes live (tomorrow!), but I'm very much looking forward to
seeing AGE light up with news of the expansion, both good and bad. I'm hoping that a few
of you will give me something good to read, to get me through the afternoon. :>

Best regards,

Tim ==
(substitute 'tcsys.com' for 'nospam.co.uk')

Seeq Endestroi
Paladin of Mithanial Marr, The Rathe
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=507035

Grave Wisdom / Grave Intentions - a Rathe Guild
http://www.gravewisdom.com
Anonymous
February 14, 2005 6:44:18 PM

New DoN trailer up today: http://movies.station.sony.com:7000/patch/web/eq/eq_don...