Games causing computer to randomly restart

robert_dane77

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Hello there,

My problem:

Call of Duty 4, Call of Duty MW2, and Dota 2 all consistently crash and force restart my computer. As far as I'm aware it isn't my PSU as many have suggested, I recently reformatted and before that I was playing just fine without crashes of any kind.

League of Legends and Fallout NV both run fine, so I'm a little confused as to why those 3 games and only those 3 games are giving me crashes. I've been trying to solve this problem for 2 weeks and have studied up on common errors related to the games giving me problems.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

robert_dane77

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

It's a rather old machine, but I've been able to run MW2 etc just fine on it before I reformatted a while ago.

Specs:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
3.0 GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4650
Antec 350w PSU

The games that don't work: CoD 4, CoD MW2, Dota 2.

ZeroGhost

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
problems like these can be hard to find, it could be loads of things but since its while gaming. It is more then likely ether overheating like ericthestorm said, or your power supply running out of power, as in maybe not functioning properly anymore and thus cant cope? 350W isn't a whole lot, not sure how power hungry the 4650 is tho.

shad3s0fGravy

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
it could possible be an overheating issue. you are not being clear about restarting. Do your games crash and then they exit and restart your computer? Do your games crash with blue screen system error and you have to restart? You might not be getting enough airflow in the system. Did you reformat completely with command prompt or do a clean reinstallation of the OS?