What happens when you run SFC /SCAN

I have a WIN XP SP2 system, fully updated with security fixes, etc. Ran SFC
/SCAN and it asked for the original install CD to restore valid WIN XP
binaries.

What is the impact of this? Does it undo all the security fixes? Should it
ever be run after you finish running Windows Updates?

Got the advice to do this from Dell level 2 support and I'm rethinking this
to be bad advice.

Try this:

"Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
(Sfc.exe)"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Steve Howard" <SteveHoward@cox.net> wrote in message
> I have a WIN XP SP2 system, fully updated with security fixes, etc. Ran
SFC
> /SCAN and it asked for the original install CD to restore valid WIN XP
> binaries.
>
> What is the impact of this? Does it undo all the security fixes? Should
it
> ever be run after you finish running Windows Updates?
>
> Got the advice to do this from Dell level 2 support and I'm rethinking
this
> to be bad advice.

map

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html