FSX Making me want to toss my rig through the window

jmccarty13

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
Ok so Flight simulator X gives me a max frame rate of 40 fps and that is with every setting at minimal. But this didn't start happening until I upgraded from a sad softmod 256Mb ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro to a XFX Radeon HD 6770. On high or ultra high i max about 14 fps. With the 2600 i was getting 25-35 fps on everything ultra high. I am absolutely p***ed about this because I know this game is highly cpu dependant so i was expecting little to no improvement not extreme downgrade. Yes i have deleted the FSX.cfg file with no improvement and when I contacted microsoft tech support (a big joke) and spent about 45 minutes on the phone I got the response "your video card does not have enough memory," wtf then how the hell did i play it on ultra high with somewhat playable frame rates on a video card with quarter the memory and a billionth the performance.I have all of the latest service packs for FSX and the accelerations expansion pack. This is the only game out of about 25 that has not seen about a 200% increase in performance from this video card. I also know this is not cpu or gpu bottleneck since cpu usage doesnt go over 60% and gpu usage hovers right around 0%. Forgot to mention that anything above minimal=a max of 20 fps dropping slightly with each step above minimal.

Here are my system specs:
Intel Core 2 Quad q8200@2.33Ghz
4Gb 1333 DDR3
XFX Radeon HD 6770
Corsair CX430 v2 psu
640Gb hdd

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
There was an update to catalyst, 12.1 which resolved a strange issue I had in regards to an XFX Radeon HD 6670 and Left 4 Dead 2. I was getting some strange lag spikes that I couldn't quite pin down to my ISP. For farts and whistles I checked for an update and sure enough there was one. After I installed 12.1... everything ran normal.