Cousin's computer won't turn on!

ChuChu

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2005
Awhile ago, the comptuer temperature was 108F and he decided to move the tangle of wires in a more discreet place. He called me saying that now his computer won't turn on (before it just wouldn't get past the BIOS).

I advised him to disconnect and reconnect everything (with the exception of the single-pin jumpers) and still nothing works! He said he smelled something burning but no smoke came out and the computer is perfectly cold.

Is it possible the PSU is fried? He got one of those MGE Viper cases that come with their own PSUs. Apparently he also received an electrical shock (ugh...) Hopefully he didn't static shock anything...

Update: He just plugged his 500w PSU (from his computer to his old eMachine) into his old eMachine, the PSU works for that...only culprit seems to be the motherboard...

He ordered all his parts for this computer from NewEgg, if he does the RMA, will he have to return ALL the parts?

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
I think your advice is the obvious advice.
Since he rearranged cables he pulled some out or rearranged them wrong.

The loving are the daring!

ChuChu

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2005
Bump, what advice did you recommend?

Update (same as before but more detail): If you remember my old topic, my cousin's computer recently went dead after he turned it off. We initially thought it was the PSU, but that worked with the old eMachine. So is it the motherboard that is dead? Or the PSU simply can't supply enough power?

PSU: MGE Viper 500w PSU
Athlon 64 2000+ 2.0GHz
GeForce 6600 GT PCI-E
1GB PC3200 RAM
Maxtor 200GB HD
Pioneer CD-RW/DVD Drive
Bunch of other fans that came with the case and the temp display (108F before the computer stopped working)

We got all these parts in one order from NewEgg, and we don't know if we can send in individual parts instead of the entire order...

So is it the motherboard or the low quality MGE Viper 500w PSU?

Update: Alright, my cousin can't disconnect the video card and processor due to him being afraid or not having the right tools, but he said last time he tried the eMachine PSU on this new computer. Apparently it powered on the fans and hard drive but nothing else. Than again, he could be confused. I've heard MGE Viper PSUs suck, is it possible if it blew out, it wrecked everything other than the fans and hard drive?

BTW, this happened after he turned it off, the system didn't stop working during computer use. He's to lazy to leave a message for me with the result. So I'll get an exact answer (if he does it) when I get home tonight.

ChuChu

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2005
Bump? NewEgg will most likely not accept an exchange or return due to not having much of the original packaging...anyway know whether it's the motherboard or PSU? And is it possible to see if the other components are damaged? Anyway to make things work again without exchanging the parts back to NewEgg?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If you have the part and an antistatic bag newegg will take it back. They don't care about the packaging. Just the item in an antistatic bag is good enough. You can use any sort of box, peanuts, bubble wrap, etc that you want.
If he smelled burning something is probably toast. If possible I'd test as many of the parts in another machine as possible. Go with the easy stuff first like the psu, memory, vid card, pci cards. If all of those work you can give the cpu a try. If the cpu works it is probably the motherboard. That is usually to much of a pain in the ass to test in another computer so I'd say it was broken and rma it, lol.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

ChuChu

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2005
I forgot to add on, we called NewEgg twice yesterday, one guy said we basically needed everything, including the shrink wrap with the serial #. The other lady said as long as we had most of the stuff (she didn't say anything about anti-static), it was fine. I asked her if we could use Ziplock bags because it might be too static conductive, she said that was fine...

My cousin said it may be the power button, but he than forgot how he tested it out when I asked him...

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
You could disconnect the power switch and just short the 2 pins with a screw driver or something. That is all the switch does. If it doesn't come on by doing that nothing will turn it on, lol.
You don't have to call newegg to do an RMA. Just use the online tool, it requires no human interaction :) Just log into your account, go to my account, go to RMA request. It is all automated now.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>