Upgrade question

June 10, 2005 1:18:58 AM

I'm thinking of upgrading to XP Pro from XP home.
How clean is this? In the past some upgrades left a lot of clutter and no
longer used files around.

More about : upgrade question

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:18:59 AM

An upgrade to Windows XP Pro will not affect your current programs or files
if you use the following procedure:

1. Purchase a conventional "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows XP Professional.
2. Uninstall your antivirus program.
3. Perform a backup of your important documents and files to a CD.
4. Disconnect all hardware peripheral devices, except the monitor, keyboard and mouse.
5. While running Windows XP Home, insert the Windows XP Pro CD in the drive and select
the default "Upgrade" setup option. [Do not select "New Installation"]
6. Visit the Windows Update site to download all the critical updates.
7. Reinstall your antivirus program and defrag your drive.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Mike Painter" wrote:

| I'm thinking of upgrading to XP Pro from XP home.
| How clean is this? In the past some upgrades left a lot of clutter and no
| longer used files around.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 3:49:03 AM

Actually thier is no upgrade from home to pro,and according to microsoft,
one should do a clean installation from home to pro.The "upgrade" is for
former windows os,98,95,ME,etc..

"Mike Painter" wrote:

> I'm thinking of upgrading to XP Pro from XP home.
> How clean is this? In the past some upgrades left a lot of clutter and no
> longer used files around.

June 10, 2005 8:53:57 AM

Actually, you are incorrect. A "Retail Upgrade" or "Retail Full Version"
of Windows XP Professional is designed to "upgrade" over Windows XP
Home Edition.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Andrew E." incorrectly wrote:

| Actually thier is no upgrade from home to pro,and according to microsoft,
| one should do a clean installation from home to pro.The "upgrade" is for
| former windows os,98,95,ME,etc..
|
| "Mike Painter" wrote:
|
| > I'm thinking of upgrading to XP Pro from XP home.
| > How clean is this? In the past some upgrades left a lot of clutter and no
| > longer used files around.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 12:59:27 PM

Andrew E.

Your answer is wrong.. take a look at this website..

http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/upgrade.php

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

> Actually thier is no upgrade from home to pro,and according to microsoft,
> one should do a clean installation from home to pro.The "upgrade" is for
> former windows os,98,95,ME,etc..
>
> "Mike Painter" wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking of upgrading to XP Pro from XP home.
>> How clean is this? In the past some upgrades left a lot of clutter and no
>> longer used files around.

Anonymous
June 10, 2005 1:02:11 PM

Mike

What do you hope to gain by doing this upgrade?..

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro...

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Mike Painter" <mddotpainter@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I'm thinking of upgrading to XP Pro from XP home.
> How clean is this? In the past some upgrades left a lot of clutter and no
> longer used files around.

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 4:12:24 AM

Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
> Mike
>
> What do you hope to gain by doing this upgrade?..
>
> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro...

It was mostly because I can, but that does raise a question.
My desktop is home and my laptop is pro.
Would I have less problems moving files back and forth if I went back to
home on the laptop? These are rights problems, nothing mecanical.

Thanks.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 1:23:57 AM

"Mike Painter" <mddotpainter@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
>> Mike
>>
>> What do you hope to gain by doing this upgrade?..
>>
>> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro...
>>
>It was mostly because I can, but that does raise a question.
>My desktop is home and my laptop is pro.
>Would I have less problems moving files back and forth if I went back to
>home on the laptop? These are rights problems, nothing mecanical.
>
>Thanks.

File and folder level security is not normally configurable in Windows
XP Home so in that respect you might simplify your file moving
problems by reverting to XP Home.

But you can also eliminate it entirely by properly configuring your XP
Pro user accounts, such as by using the same user name (exactly) on
both machines.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--