Upgrade question

I'm thinking of upgrading to XP Pro from XP home.
How clean is this? In the past some upgrades left a lot of clutter and no
longer used files around.
7 answers Last reply
More about upgrade question

    An upgrade to Windows XP Pro will not affect your current programs or files
    if you use the following procedure:

    1. Purchase a conventional "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows XP Professional.
    2. Uninstall your antivirus program.
    3. Perform a backup of your important documents and files to a CD.
    4. Disconnect all hardware peripheral devices, except the monitor, keyboard and mouse.
    5. While running Windows XP Home, insert the Windows XP Pro CD in the drive and select
    the default "Upgrade" setup option. [Do not select "New Installation"]
    6. Visit the Windows Update site to download all the critical updates.
    7. Reinstall your antivirus program and defrag your drive.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Mike Painter" wrote:

    | I'm thinking of upgrading to XP Pro from XP home.
    | How clean is this? In the past some upgrades left a lot of clutter and no
    | longer used files around.

    Actually thier is no upgrade from home to pro,and according to microsoft,
    one should do a clean installation from home to pro.The "upgrade" is for
    former windows os,98,95,ME,etc..

    "Mike Painter" wrote:

    > I'm thinking of upgrading to XP Pro from XP home.
    > How clean is this? In the past some upgrades left a lot of clutter and no
    > longer used files around.

    Actually, you are incorrect. A "Retail Upgrade" or "Retail Full Version"
    of Windows XP Professional is designed to "upgrade" over Windows XP
    Home Edition.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Andrew E." incorrectly wrote:

    | Actually thier is no upgrade from home to pro,and according to microsoft,
    | one should do a clean installation from home to pro.The "upgrade" is for
    | former windows os,98,95,ME,etc..
    |
    | "Mike Painter" wrote:
    |
    | > I'm thinking of upgrading to XP Pro from XP home.
    | > How clean is this? In the past some upgrades left a lot of clutter and no
    | > longer used files around.

    Andrew E.

    Your answer is wrong.. take a look at this website..

    http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/upgrade.php

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    > Actually thier is no upgrade from home to pro,and according to microsoft,
    > one should do a clean installation from home to pro.The "upgrade" is for
    > former windows os,98,95,ME,etc..
    >
    > "Mike Painter" wrote:
    >
    >> I'm thinking of upgrading to XP Pro from XP home.
    >> How clean is this? In the past some upgrades left a lot of clutter and no
    >> longer used files around.

    Mike

    What do you hope to gain by doing this upgrade?..

    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    > Mike
    >
    > What do you hope to gain by doing this upgrade?..
    >
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    It was mostly because I can, but that does raise a question.
    My desktop is home and my laptop is pro.
    Would I have less problems moving files back and forth if I went back to
    home on the laptop? These are rights problems, nothing mecanical.

    Thanks.

    "Mike Painter" <mddotpainter@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

    >Mike Hall (MS-MVP) wrote:
    >> Mike
    >>
    >> What do you hope to gain by doing this upgrade?..
    >>
    >> http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp
    >>
    >It was mostly because I can, but that does raise a question.
    >My desktop is home and my laptop is pro.
    >Would I have less problems moving files back and forth if I went back to
    >home on the laptop? These are rights problems, nothing mecanical.
    >
    >Thanks.

    File and folder level security is not normally configurable in Windows
    XP Home so in that respect you might simplify your file moving
    problems by reverting to XP Home.

    But you can also eliminate it entirely by properly configuring your XP
    Pro user accounts, such as by using the same user name (exactly) on
    both machines.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --