FTP transfer - Low disk space

kaabob

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2004

Hi

In the middle of a backup transfer (~ 5gigs) between my two computers using
FTP, the client receiving the backup material promps a "Low Disk space"
message. The files I am transfering are between 350 MB and 700 MB in size,
and are being dumped into another partition (the F drive which has 30+ GB
free), not the window's C drive).

After getting that message, I cancel the transfer (of course), I check the
distination folder (on F drive), and confirm that it is not running out of
space. So, I then check the system drive, the C Drive, and notice that
there's 2 MB free. Next, I go through all the directories in the C drive and
notice that the &userprofile%/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files/ folder
is a whopping 2gigs!

Knowing that the source of low disk space is in part due to the huge TIF, I
perform disk cleanup and |delete offline content| and |cookies| in Internet
Explorer options, and upon doing that, I've freed up 2 Gigs and resolved the
problem!

That's not the end, however. After resuming my backup, I encounter the same
problem again, and the TIF is again over-inflated. Double-checking that the
cache is set to 50 MB, I'm stumbled upon why XP would allow the TIF to grow
to be 2 Gigs!

So my question boils down to this: Does FTP data (btw i should have
mentioned i was using IE as a FTP browser) get treated as Temp data? It sure
seems so after this experience, but how do I resolve this? I don't want to
keep cleaning up the TIF two or three times everytime I perform a backup

Thanks in advance!

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

you may want to consider using xcopy or ntbackup to back the files up to a
mapped drive.

--
aaron
A+,NET+,MCSE 2K/2K3,CNA,CCNA
"kaabob" <kaabob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> In the middle of a backup transfer (~ 5gigs) between my two computers
> using
> FTP, the client receiving the backup material promps a "Low Disk space"
> message. The files I am transfering are between 350 MB and 700 MB in
> size,
> and are being dumped into another partition (the F drive which has 30+ GB
> free), not the window's C drive).
>
> After getting that message, I cancel the transfer (of course), I check the
> distination folder (on F drive), and confirm that it is not running out of
> space. So, I then check the system drive, the C Drive, and notice that
> there's 2 MB free. Next, I go through all the directories in the C drive
> and
> notice that the &userprofile%/Local Settings/Temporary Internet Files/
> folder
> is a whopping 2gigs!
>
> Knowing that the source of low disk space is in part due to the huge TIF,
> perform disk cleanup and |delete offline content| and |cookies| in
> Internet
> Explorer options, and upon doing that, I've freed up 2 Gigs and resolved
> the
> problem!
>
> That's not the end, however. After resuming my backup, I encounter the
> same
> problem again, and the TIF is again over-inflated. Double-checking that
> the
> cache is set to 50 MB, I'm stumbled upon why XP would allow the TIF to
> grow
> to be 2 Gigs!
>
> So my question boils down to this: Does FTP data (btw i should have
> mentioned i was using IE as a FTP browser) get treated as Temp data? It
> sure
> seems so after this experience, but how do I resolve this? I don't want
> keep cleaning up the TIF two or three times everytime I perform a backup
>
> Thanks in advance!

TRENDING THREADS