VX6100 and silent mode...

Last response: in Network Providers
January 15, 2005 11:01:14 PM

How do I put this mode into silent mode? I have figured out how to put
in "driving mode" and "manner mode". I would like to know how to put the
phone into "silent mode"

More about : vx6100 silent mode

Anonymous
January 16, 2005 7:57:43 AM

USE THE SIDE VOL KEY AND SCROLL TO SILENT, JUST AFTER THE LOW SETTING
Anonymous
January 16, 2005 7:57:44 AM

"BJ3684" <bj3684@aol.com> wrote in message
> USE THE SIDE VOL KEY AND SCROLL TO SILENT, JUST AFTER THE LOW SETTING

I don't see the first post that started this thread but, what's wrong with
pushing and holding the * key until it goes to manners mode? Just got my VX
6100 today but, the local VZW stores around Nashville, TN don't have the
ability to update these phones yet..

Ben
January 18, 2005 4:06:10 AM

You can put it in "silent" as far as "no ringer" (manner mode), but you
CANNOT turn off the vibrating mode (silent mode on the 4400) unless you
simply turn the phone off. It will ALWAYS vibrate, even with the ringer
turned off. I find that quite annoying.

"Ben in TN" <sea-doo@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
> "BJ3684" <bj3684@aol.com> wrote in message
>> USE THE SIDE VOL KEY AND SCROLL TO SILENT, JUST AFTER THE LOW SETTING
>
> I don't see the first post that started this thread but, what's wrong with
> pushing and holding the * key until it goes to manners mode? Just got my
> VX 6100 today but, the local VZW stores around Nashville, TN don't have
> the ability to update these phones yet..
>
> Ben

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 7:19:05 AM

Janie - Did you try turning off just the volume switch (top button on left
side) all the way down to the setting below low which should be "silent"?
There's no question that using the "*" asterisk key and/or the bottom button
on the left side while the phone is closed will put the phone into "manner
mode" which will indeed cause the phone to vibrate. But in "normal mode"
with the volume turned all the way down, it should go into "silent mode".
I cannot imagine that LG would change how their phones go into "silent
mode".

This is what BJ3684 was saying above. If someone else who owns the VX
6100 could confirm it works this way, that would be great!

"Janie Collins" <jjcollins@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> You can put it in "silent" as far as "no ringer" (manner mode), but you
> CANNOT turn off the vibrating mode (silent mode on the 4400) unless you
> simply turn the phone off. It will ALWAYS vibrate, even with the ringer
> turned off. I find that quite annoying.
>

> "Ben in TN" <sea-doo@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
> > "BJ3684" <bj3684@aol.com> wrote in message
> >> USE THE SIDE VOL KEY AND SCROLL TO SILENT, JUST AFTER THE LOW SETTING
> >
> > I don't see the first post that started this thread but, what's wrong
with
> > pushing and holding the * key until it goes to manners mode? Just got
my
> > VX 6100 today but, the local VZW stores around Nashville, TN don't have
> > the ability to update these phones yet..
> >
> > Ben

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 7:50:13 AM

Thanks, Dave, but (and I've already taken the phone back so this is from
memory) I remember trying that and there was nothing lower than "low"--no
silent. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I don't think so.
Incidentally, the button below the volume control simply toggles the phone
to and from "driving mode" whatever the heck that is!

I wish that would work--if I am wrong in there being a "silent" below the
low setting, PLEASE let me know!

Tx,

Janie

"Dave M." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Janie - Did you try turning off just the volume switch (top button on left
> side) all the way down to the setting below low which should be "silent"?
> There's no question that using the "*" asterisk key and/or the bottom
> button
> on the left side while the phone is closed will put the phone into "manner
> mode" which will indeed cause the phone to vibrate. But in "normal mode"
> with the volume turned all the way down, it should go into "silent mode".
> I cannot imagine that LG would change how their phones go into "silent
> mode".
>
> This is what BJ3684 was saying above. If someone else who owns the VX
> 6100 could confirm it works this way, that would be great!
>
> "Janie Collins" <jjcollins@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
>> You can put it in "silent" as far as "no ringer" (manner mode), but you
>> CANNOT turn off the vibrating mode (silent mode on the 4400) unless you
>> simply turn the phone off. It will ALWAYS vibrate, even with the ringer
>> turned off. I find that quite annoying.
>>

>> "Ben in TN" <sea-doo@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
>> > "BJ3684" <bj3684@aol.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > I don't see the first post that started this thread but, what's wrong
> with
>> > pushing and holding the * key until it goes to manners mode? Just got
> my
>> > VX 6100 today but, the local VZW stores around Nashville, TN don't have
>> > the ability to update these phones yet..
>> >
>> > Ben

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 7:53:46 AM

Oops--I kind of screwed up my last post--there is a silent, but it still
vibrates. What I was thinking of was actually going into the
settings/sounds/volume--that only gave me the choice of "low" as the
quietest ring. I knew I'd seen it, just forgot where.

As I said before, if I'm wrong and you can make this phone silent with no
vibrate, please let me know--I'll run right out and get it again :) .

"Dave M." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Janie - Did you try turning off just the volume switch (top button on left
> side) all the way down to the setting below low which should be "silent"?
> There's no question that using the "*" asterisk key and/or the bottom
> button
> on the left side while the phone is closed will put the phone into "manner
> mode" which will indeed cause the phone to vibrate. But in "normal mode"
> with the volume turned all the way down, it should go into "silent mode".
> I cannot imagine that LG would change how their phones go into "silent
> mode".
>
> This is what BJ3684 was saying above. If someone else who owns the VX
> 6100 could confirm it works this way, that would be great!
>
> "Janie Collins" <jjcollins@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
>> You can put it in "silent" as far as "no ringer" (manner mode), but you
>> CANNOT turn off the vibrating mode (silent mode on the 4400) unless you
>> simply turn the phone off. It will ALWAYS vibrate, even with the ringer
>> turned off. I find that quite annoying.
>>

>> "Ben in TN" <sea-doo@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
>> > "BJ3684" <bj3684@aol.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > I don't see the first post that started this thread but, what's wrong
> with
>> > pushing and holding the * key until it goes to manners mode? Just got
> my
>> > VX 6100 today but, the local VZW stores around Nashville, TN don't have
>> > the ability to update these phones yet..
>> >
>> > Ben

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 8:51:59 AM

> Thanks, Dave, but (and I've already taken the phone back so this is from
> memory) I remember trying that and there was nothing lower than "low"--no
> silent. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I don't think so.
> Incidentally, the button below the volume control simply toggles the phone
> to and from "driving mode" whatever the heck that is!
>
> I wish that would work--if I am wrong in there being a "silent" below the
> low setting, PLEASE let me know!
>
> Tx,
>
> Janie

Hey Janie - wooohoooo! Guess what happened. I went out to the garage to
look in a large Tupperware type container that has lots of my books. I was
going to check my LG manual for my 4500 to get clarification on when the
driving mode activates so I could give you more info. Well, I dug down a
few layers of books with the thought that I was going to organize things a
bit, and guess what I found? My vx4500. Yeah, it was laying there amongs
my books. This thing has been missing for about 2 weeks. Well I guessss I'm
going to continue using my 4500 until I find a compelling reason to switch
to something else, ie, 6100, 8000, or whatever. No hurry to do so now.

Anyway, the "driving mode" is useful if you're driving a lot and want to be
able to answer incomming calls "hands free". You can have your phone on
your console and and even in the closed position and it will still answer
your call, and you can carry on a conversation with the phone in the closed
position. I'm pretty sure the phone will announce either the name or the
phone number of the incomming call. You just have to answer "yes" if you
want to answer it; otherwise it goes to voice mail. I've only used it a few
times, but since I'm not on the road that much, I have less reason to use
it.

Btw, that lower button on the left side works the driving mode only when the
phone is closed. If it's open, pushing that button quickly puts you into
automatic voice commands which is only useful if you're driving and want to
use some handsfree commands. For example, you could say the phone number
you want the phone to dial after saying "digit dial". Now, if you push and
hold that same lower button for a couple of seconds (while the cover is
open), you can leave a voice note to your phone. Sometimes that's useful.
Although the total record time on the 4500 and I believe on the 6100 is 4
mins. .I use that fairly frequently.

Hope the above helps. And I believe you're going to find that the 6100 will
go into the silent mode without vibrating. Hopefully one of the current vx
6100 owners will post a reply that tells you just that. Good luck!

> "Dave M." <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Janie - Did you try turning off just the volume switch (top button on
left
> > side) all the way down to the setting below low which should be
"silent"?
> > There's no question that using the "*" asterisk key and/or the bottom
> > button
> > on the left side while the phone is closed will put the phone into
"manner
> > mode" which will indeed cause the phone to vibrate. But in "normal
mode"
> > with the volume turned all the way down, it should go into "silent
mode".
> > I cannot imagine that LG would change how their phones go into "silent
> > mode".
> >
> > This is what BJ3684 was saying above. If someone else who owns the VX
> > 6100 could confirm it works this way, that would be great!
> >
> > "Janie Collins" <jjcollins@triad.rr.com> wrote in message
> >> You can put it in "silent" as far as "no ringer" (manner mode), but you
> >> CANNOT turn off the vibrating mode (silent mode on the 4400) unless you
> >> simply turn the phone off. It will ALWAYS vibrate, even with the
ringer
> >> turned off. I find that quite annoying.
> >>

> >> "Ben in TN" <sea-doo@wolfplayer.us> wrote in message
SETTING

> > with
> > my

Anonymous
January 18, 2005 9:18:39 AM

Dave, I'm cracking up over your story of finding your 4500! Good job and
good luck with it till you figure out what to go to next (let me know what
you get and how you like it, please :) . Thanks for the info on driving
mode. It does sound worthwhile--I've never had a phone with a speaker
before, so it was totally new to me.

Can't wait till someone with the 6100 does "set me straight". This is one
time I'd LOVE to be wrong!

> [...]
> left
>> > side) all the way down to the setting below low which should be
> "silent"?
>> > There's no question that using the "*" asterisk key and/or the bottom
>> > button
>> > on the left side while the phone is closed will put the phone into
> "manner
>> > mode" which will indeed cause the phone to vibrate. But in "normal
> mode"
>> > with the volume turned all the way down, it should go into "silent
> mode".
>> > I cannot imagine that LG would change how their phones go into "silent
>> > mode".
>> >
>> > This is what BJ3684 was saying above. If someone else who owns the
>> > VX
>> > 6100 could confirm it works this way, that would be great!

Anonymous
January 19, 2005 2:01:36 AM

Ok Janie,
I dug out my wife's VX6100, and indeed it cannot be turned below the "Low"
ringer volume level. But I think it is superior to her VX4400 which rotated
among 3 modes, Normal, Manner and Silent. She would accidently put it into
the Silent mode and of course not know it. Now, when the mode is accidently
changed, it will either ring or vibrate.

I'm not saying the Silent mode is a bad thing, it's just that LG should not
have rotated the 3 modes.

Bill Radio
http://www.mountainwireless.com

> Oops--I kind of screwed up my last post--there is a silent, but it still
> vibrates. What I was thinking of was actually going into the
> settings/sounds/volume--that only gave me the choice of "low" as the
> quietest ring. I knew I'd seen it, just forgot where.
>
> As I said before, if I'm wrong and you can make this phone silent with no
> vibrate, please let me know--I'll run right out and get it again :) .
Anonymous
January 19, 2005 9:08:22 AM

Guess what Bill, you CAN! I found this out by finally getting a nice CS
outside of my area. She actually had the 6100 and didn't think it could be
done, but I told her what someone here had suggested and IT WORKS! If you
open the flip and scroll down on the outside volume key (while in "normal
mode", NOT "manner mode"), there is a "silent" below "low", just be sure to
then press "ok". I think that may have been my problem yesterday--I'm not
in the habit of having to choose "ok" after making my choice.

Thanks again,

Janie

!