disc cleanup

Hi can anyone help please I am not very good with computers yet and need all
the help I can get. For some reason when I try to run disc cleanup the little
box pops up on the screen showing 3 bars across the bottom and gets stuck
there nothing happens I have left it for an hour and still there is only the
3 bars, really would appreciate any help or advice anyone can give me . cheers

Hi gracymay,

If Disk Cleanup is getting stuck at "Scanning: Compress old files", follow
the instructions in this MSKB article to resolve the problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=812248
or, if you're not comfortable manually editing the registry, you could
d/load and run the fix (provided courtesy of Kelly Theriot) that is
available here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm (scroll down to line 48,
right-hand side -->Disk Cleanup-Compress Old Files Freezes)

Regards,

--
Patti MacLeod
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

gracymay wrote:
> Hi can anyone help please I am not very good with computers yet and need all
> the help I can get. For some reason when I try to run disc cleanup the little
> box pops up on the screen showing 3 bars across the bottom and gets stuck
> there nothing happens I have left it for an hour and still there is only the
> 3 bars, really would appreciate any help or advice anyone can give me . cheers

As XP is slow to start on boot, you should try this. Use
msconfig after shutting down disk cleanup. You may need to
power cycle the pc to dump the application. Then close all
running tray /startup apps from msconfig. Under services
close all services to media utilities such as cd burn tools,
antivirus, firewall, players, rippers, etc. then ok and
restart on prompt. Let the pc stand for about 5 minutes to
make sure all processes have started ok. Then use disk
cleanup. Mine does hang, particularly when the disk manager
hasn't had time to properly start.

--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed