disc cleanup

Hi can anyone help please I am not very good with computers yet and need all
the help I can get. For some reason when I try to run disc cleanup the little
box pops up on the screen showing 3 bars across the bottom and gets stuck
there nothing happens I have left it for an hour and still there is only the
3 bars, really would appreciate any help or advice anyone can give me . cheers
2 answers Last reply
More about disc cleanup

    Hi gracymay,

    If Disk Cleanup is getting stuck at "Scanning: Compress old files", follow
    the instructions in this MSKB article to resolve the problem:
    http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?scid=812248
    or, if you're not comfortable manually editing the registry, you could
    d/load and run the fix (provided courtesy of Kelly Theriot) that is
    available here:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_tweaks.htm (scroll down to line 48,
    right-hand side -->Disk Cleanup-Compress Old Files Freezes)

    Regards,

    --
    Patti MacLeod
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

    gracymay wrote:
    > Hi can anyone help please I am not very good with computers yet and need all
    > the help I can get. For some reason when I try to run disc cleanup the little
    > box pops up on the screen showing 3 bars across the bottom and gets stuck
    > there nothing happens I have left it for an hour and still there is only the
    > 3 bars, really would appreciate any help or advice anyone can give me . cheers

    As XP is slow to start on boot, you should try this. Use
    msconfig after shutting down disk cleanup. You may need to
    power cycle the pc to dump the application. Then close all
    running tray /startup apps from msconfig. Under services
    close all services to media utilities such as cd burn tools,
    antivirus, firewall, players, rippers, etc. then ok and
    restart on prompt. Let the pc stand for about 5 minutes to
    make sure all processes have started ok. Then use disk
    cleanup. Mine does hang, particularly when the disk manager
    hasn't had time to properly start.

    --
    Lester Stiefel
    In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed

Computers Microsoft Windows XP