Dragon age 1 Vs Neverwinter Nights which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
So ive had dragon age for a while and i really enjoyed it for a but i got bored of the classes, so im looking for a similar new game and was wondering if Neverwinter nights is better than the former and reasons as to why or why not??

Solution
neverwinter doesn't have it ( you click on enemy once to target them)

RE: neverwinter combat not as great...
as great as what else?

It might feel not as streamlined as DA because it's more complex and not as flowy because it's still heavily based on D&D mechanics which is turn base. I wouldn't say that it is by any means bad combat system.

The camera settings in the game are very straightforward and you'll be able to find the one that suits you for sure. Especially, blaming anything on camera in the game that has an active pause, during which you can rotate your camera however much you want, is a silly statement at best.

Dessirris

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
What makes NWN so incredible is the ease of modding, and the huge modding community it has. Hordes of the Underdark was the best of the 3 main campaigns, I feel, but all three are worth playing if they catch your interest. And if you're willing to hunt and look around online, you can find a whole variety of fan-made stories to play through that could keep you occupied for years. I loved NWN when it came out, and I still make a point to keep a copy of it installed, even if I don't play it very often, because it's always been worth coming back to.

If you don't mind the intricacies that come with translating a full P&P game system to the PC, I'd definitely recommend trying it.

Although, if you're really looking for a good story-telling RPG, and don't mind anachronistic graphics, I have to really recommend Planescape: Torment, as well, with storytelling as good as Fallout, and an incredibly deep story to be told, it's well worth experiencing.

well, first thing I'd like to point out you're comparing the games made by the same company. Bioware made both DA and NWN, plus, NWN is a lot older than DA. That said you will see a lot of similarities between the two games, some of which Bioware improved on significantly, some of it they didn't. But that is for you to decide.

Also, another feature you might consider, NWN is heavily based on D&D mechanics and classes. DA is far more simplified in that regard since there's only 3 major classes.

The graphics in NWN were top notch back in the day and the engine still looks quite decent today, but it might be a significant downgrade from DA. If you don't mind that, then this point is void.

As Dessirris pointed out, NWN is particularly known for the mods available for it (similar to skyrim)

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

I was actually thinking about buying the new neverwinter nights platinum with 1&2 and all the expansions, but why is the combat not as great in neverwinter?

neverwinter doesn't have it ( you click on enemy once to target them)

RE: neverwinter combat not as great...
as great as what else?

It might feel not as streamlined as DA because it's more complex and not as flowy because it's still heavily based on D&D mechanics which is turn base. I wouldn't say that it is by any means bad combat system.

The camera settings in the game are very straightforward and you'll be able to find the one that suits you for sure. Especially, blaming anything on camera in the game that has an active pause, during which you can rotate your camera however much you want, is a silly statement at best.

Solution

zolton33

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Planescape torment is a pretty awsome game and you can find it cheap generally. The antics in it are quite funny at times. How many games lets some of your party consists of a smart mouthed floating skull and a succubus? And has you to die in order to complete some stages?

Its graphics are not as great as most newer games but i had alot of playing it several times (has multiple endings and story branches as well as hidden characters). I generally look for gameplay over graphics but thats me. Generally you click a guy and it does the attacking (i think there is an auto retaliate attack feature as well been a while since i played it though).

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Will plantetscape work on windows 7 without errors?

eflan

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
The camera settings took me a while to get used to (yes, I tried them all), but eventually I stopped noticing it.

Also, if you want another great RPG check out Baldur's Gate (1 & 2... especially #2). It's also based on D&D... but it's still very playable if you aren't familiar with it (I sure wasn't). The graphics haven't aged very well, though I've played them on W7 without a problem.

Planescape apparently works on W7, but I haven't tried it myself.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
i definitely want to try baldurs gate but i dont want to have to buy on amazon used, is it like diablo with the clicking to attack, i cant stand that, wont play diablo bcuz of it

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Thanks for the link, I usually only use steam so its great to know theres other downloading sites out there!

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Never played but do you think balduers gate is better than diablo 2? And is there a way to get baldurs gate in a bigger resolution like 1080 or anything close? I have A big HDtv I use for a monitor and cant do 800x 600 res!

They aren't comparable at all. Diablo 2 is a single player hack and slash where you mindlessly attack stuff, which definitely has it's place, especially if you just want to kill time without thought, but Balduer's gate is a party based game with a lot of story telling. It's also a AD&D game. While AD&D can be fun, you do have to spend a lot of time with it before you find it fun. Personally, I thought Dragon Age did a great thing when they stepped away from it. While I did have a lot of fun figuring out different class builds, you really have to have a plan for all your levels before you start, which can be very distracting from the game itself.

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Ya I'm really not into the whole adding up numbers thing for games, I'm really confused on what I should do for my character in Neverwinter Nights 1&2, I just don't understand the ruleset and I've looked for info on it and can't find it! But I do enjoy DAO more bcuz that reason also

johndud

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

Wheres the fun in that tho? I just wanna learn the game, do you know of a manual of the ruleset?

Status
Not open for further replies.