Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Dragon age 1 Vs Neverwinter Nights which is better?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 29, 2012 10:29:11 PM

So ive had dragon age for a while and i really enjoyed it for a but i got bored of the classes, so im looking for a similar new game and was wondering if Neverwinter nights is better than the former and reasons as to why or why not??
January 31, 2012 3:06:38 AM

What makes NWN so incredible is the ease of modding, and the huge modding community it has. Hordes of the Underdark was the best of the 3 main campaigns, I feel, but all three are worth playing if they catch your interest. And if you're willing to hunt and look around online, you can find a whole variety of fan-made stories to play through that could keep you occupied for years. I loved NWN when it came out, and I still make a point to keep a copy of it installed, even if I don't play it very often, because it's always been worth coming back to.

If you don't mind the intricacies that come with translating a full P&P game system to the PC, I'd definitely recommend trying it.

Although, if you're really looking for a good story-telling RPG, and don't mind anachronistic graphics, I have to really recommend Planescape: Torment, as well, with storytelling as good as Fallout, and an incredibly deep story to be told, it's well worth experiencing.
Score
0
January 31, 2012 12:47:25 PM

well, first thing I'd like to point out you're comparing the games made by the same company. Bioware made both DA and NWN, plus, NWN is a lot older than DA. That said you will see a lot of similarities between the two games, some of which Bioware improved on significantly, some of it they didn't. But that is for you to decide.

Also, another feature you might consider, NWN is heavily based on D&D mechanics and classes. DA is far more simplified in that regard since there's only 3 major classes.

The graphics in NWN were top notch back in the day and the engine still looks quite decent today, but it might be a significant downgrade from DA. If you don't mind that, then this point is void.

As Dessirris pointed out, NWN is particularly known for the mods available for it (similar to skyrim)
Score
0
Related resources
January 31, 2012 1:44:35 PM

story, nw nights... game play, dragon age... to be honest i enjoyed dragon age more as its just easier to control the characters on screen... thing is DA2 is actually less enjoyable than DA1... but thats how it goes when consoles sales rule gaming...
Score
0
January 31, 2012 1:53:01 PM

it's not the consoles fault, it's the capitalist economy fault
Score
0
January 31, 2012 2:59:07 PM

Dessirris said:
What makes NWN so incredible is the ease of modding, and the huge modding community it has. Hordes of the Underdark was the best of the 3 main campaigns, I feel, but all three are worth playing if they catch your interest. And if you're willing to hunt and look around online, you can find a whole variety of fan-made stories to play through that could keep you occupied for years. I loved NWN when it came out, and I still make a point to keep a copy of it installed, even if I don't play it very often, because it's always been worth coming back to.

If you don't mind the intricacies that come with translating a full P&P game system to the PC, I'd definitely recommend trying it.

Although, if you're really looking for a good story-telling RPG, and don't mind anachronistic graphics, I have to really recommend Planescape: Torment, as well, with storytelling as good as Fallout, and an incredibly deep story to be told, it's well worth experiencing.


I was actually thinking about buying the new neverwinter nights platinum with 1&2 and all the expansions, but why is the combat not as great in neverwinter?
Score
0
January 31, 2012 3:03:42 PM

and ive heard about how camera angles are terrible why is this? i cant see anything wrong with it in youtube vids and dont know whether or not its due to a mod
Score
0
January 31, 2012 3:06:47 PM

also i hate games where you have to continuously click on enemies for every attack, does planetscape have this or neverwinter??
Score
0

Best solution

February 1, 2012 2:28:56 PM

neverwinter doesn't have it ( you click on enemy once to target them)

RE: neverwinter combat not as great...
as great as what else?

It might feel not as streamlined as DA because it's more complex and not as flowy because it's still heavily based on D&D mechanics which is turn base. I wouldn't say that it is by any means bad combat system.

The camera settings in the game are very straightforward and you'll be able to find the one that suits you for sure. Especially, blaming anything on camera in the game that has an active pause, during which you can rotate your camera however much you want, is a silly statement at best.
Share
February 4, 2012 1:29:29 AM

Planescape torment is a pretty awsome game and you can find it cheap generally. The antics in it are quite funny at times. How many games lets some of your party consists of a smart mouthed floating skull and a succubus? And has you to die in order to complete some stages?

Its graphics are not as great as most newer games but i had alot of playing it several times (has multiple endings and story branches as well as hidden characters). I generally look for gameplay over graphics but thats me. Generally you click a guy and it does the attacking (i think there is an auto retaliate attack feature as well been a while since i played it though).
Score
0
February 4, 2012 9:09:36 PM

zolton33 said:
Planescape torment is a pretty awsome game and you can find it cheap generally. The antics in it are quite funny at times. How many games lets some of your party consists of a smart mouthed floating skull and a succubus? And has you to die in order to complete some stages?

Its graphics are not as great as most newer games but i had alot of playing it several times (has multiple endings and story branches as well as hidden characters). I generally look for gameplay over graphics but thats me. Generally you click a guy and it does the attacking (i think there is an auto retaliate attack feature as well been a while since i played it though).


Will plantetscape work on windows 7 without errors?
Score
0
February 4, 2012 9:20:08 PM

The camera settings took me a while to get used to (yes, I tried them all), but eventually I stopped noticing it.

Also, if you want another great RPG check out Baldur's Gate (1 & 2... especially #2). It's also based on D&D... but it's still very playable if you aren't familiar with it (I sure wasn't). The graphics haven't aged very well, though I've played them on W7 without a problem.

Planescape apparently works on W7, but I haven't tried it myself.
Score
0
February 4, 2012 10:32:12 PM

i definitely want to try baldurs gate but i dont want to have to buy on amazon used, is it like diablo with the clicking to attack, i cant stand that, wont play diablo bcuz of it
Score
0
February 6, 2012 9:35:11 AM

check out download clients like impulse, they have an ad&d anthology that has all the classic bioware rpgs.
Score
0
February 7, 2012 12:07:13 AM

psychodegu said:
check out download clients like impulse, they have an ad&d anthology that has all the classic bioware rpgs.


Thanks for the link, I usually only use steam so its great to know theres other downloading sites out there!
Score
0
February 7, 2012 1:02:08 AM

Balders Gate and Never Winter Nights. Boy you guys are sure bringing back some PC D&D memories. Anyone remember Pool of Radiance or Curse of the Azure Bonds?
Thanks
Dave
Score
0
February 13, 2012 12:16:12 AM

stillerfan15 said:
Balders Gate and Never Winter Nights. Boy you guys are sure bringing back some PC D&D memories. Anyone remember Pool of Radiance or Curse of the Azure Bonds?
Thanks
Dave


Never played but do you think balduers gate is better than diablo 2? And is there a way to get baldurs gate in a bigger resolution like 1080 or anything close? I have A big HDtv I use for a monitor and cant do 800x 600 res!
Score
0
February 13, 2012 5:43:27 AM

johndud said:
Never played but do you think balduers gate is better than diablo 2? And is there a way to get baldurs gate in a bigger resolution like 1080 or anything close? I have A big HDtv I use for a monitor and cant do 800x 600 res!


They aren't comparable at all. Diablo 2 is a single player hack and slash where you mindlessly attack stuff, which definitely has it's place, especially if you just want to kill time without thought, but Balduer's gate is a party based game with a lot of story telling. It's also a AD&D game. While AD&D can be fun, you do have to spend a lot of time with it before you find it fun. Personally, I thought Dragon Age did a great thing when they stepped away from it. While I did have a lot of fun figuring out different class builds, you really have to have a plan for all your levels before you start, which can be very distracting from the game itself.
Score
0
February 13, 2012 1:10:32 PM

bystander said:
They aren't comparable at all. Diablo 2 is a single player hack and slash where you mindlessly attack stuff, which definitely has it's place, especially if you just want to kill time without thought, but Balduer's gate is a party based game with a lot of story telling. It's also a AD&D game. While AD&D can be fun, you do have to spend a lot of time with it before you find it fun. Personally, I thought Dragon Age did a great thing when they stepped away from it. While I did have a lot of fun figuring out different class builds, you really have to have a plan for all your levels before you start, which can be very distracting from the game itself.


Ya I'm really not into the whole adding up numbers thing for games, I'm really confused on what I should do for my character in Neverwinter Nights 1&2, I just don't understand the ruleset and I've looked for info on it and can't find it! But I do enjoy DAO more bcuz that reason also

Score
0
February 13, 2012 2:37:05 PM

If you aren't sure what to do with your character, stick with the basic classes and at most add one elite class (I forget what they call them now).
Score
0
February 13, 2012 4:17:49 PM

Are you talking about origins? if so I feel that game was a scam. If not, carry on good sir!
Score
0
February 13, 2012 4:50:35 PM

nocturnal7x said:
Are you talking about origins? if so I feel that game was a scam. If not, carry on good sir!


I was giving tips for the AD&D based games of NWN and BG, but how on earth do you think Origins was a scam?
Score
0
February 13, 2012 11:12:25 PM

bystander said:
If you aren't sure what to do with your character, stick with the basic classes and at most add one elite class (I forget what they call them now).


Wheres the fun in that tho? I just wanna learn the game, do you know of a manual of the ruleset?
Score
0
February 13, 2012 11:15:36 PM

I would check out gamefaqs. They cover a lot of strategy guides as well as a lot of people who post their faqs cover the manual in their faq.
Score
0
February 13, 2012 11:16:11 PM

The only thing i could think of that would keep someone from enjoying DAO is narcolepsy, do you have narcolepsy nocturnal?
Score
0
February 13, 2012 11:19:52 PM

johndud said:
Wheres the fun in that tho? I just wanna learn the game, do you know of a manual of the ruleset?


My theory is that you play through the game one time and focus on the story and not the characters, so I advise to go simple. After you have played through the game, then you get lots of replay value trying different and crazy builds.
Score
0
February 13, 2012 11:49:03 PM

zolton33 said:
I would check out gamefaqs. They cover a lot of strategy guides as well as a lot of people who post their faqs cover the manual in their faq.


Thanks man I found exactly what I needed, now all I need is someone to play it with online, I don't really wanna play it single player all too much, Id rather play DAO for that. IF any of you guys wanna play let me know and well exchange emails!
Score
0
February 21, 2012 2:53:12 AM

Best answer selected by johndud.
Score
0
February 21, 2012 4:38:02 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!