trancenation

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004
Hi, I'm building myself a new PC cause the other one is dying out. Anyway, this time I'll buy a nice powersupply because it does make a difference on the quality of the finished computer. The thing is I don't know which brand to buy, I heard Enermax, Antec, Vantec and PC Power And Cooling are the best around. Looking for component quality inside these, please help me out, thanx a lot :)

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
Them (though I don't know Vantec), as well as Fortron Source, Sparkle Power - the ones with the FSP part #, and a few others.

My understanding is PC Power & Cooling is by far the best, but you pay for it. I know Fortron Source & Sparkle Power, as well as Antec make quality PSUs at good prices. The rest is personal preference and which one matches your wattage/price/noise/eye-candy needs.

Mike.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I think antec is the way to go but if you are on a tight budget FS and Sparkle are much better choices. I ohnestly have never even heard of PC power and cooling until someone mentioned it in here a little while ago, lol. Their power supplies look decent but I haven't ever seen one to know. I dont know how vantec psus are now but the 520 I used to have was EXTREMELY loud. It was definatly not "stealth". It put out lots of power and I never had a problem with it but it was just do damned loud I had to get rid of it.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

BomberBill

Splendid
Jan 20, 2005
Tran, I followed Folken's advice and bought Antec's True Power 550W. Never looked back. Where's Crash? He would latch straight onto the Fortron wagon.

<b><font color=green> If You've Never Snorted Coke off a Bombay Hooker's Arse... </b> </font color=green>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, Antec has marketed some real trash, I've had them. Their low end units really are low-end, just relabled Channel Well units, barely better than the worst bargain brands.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
I just bought a Ultra XConnect 500w psu, seems ok at the moment. Just installed it today.

34a on the 12v rail.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."