I have two 12V rails, but which cables are they?

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
I just got a Fortron AX500-a 500W Blue Storm power supply in an attempt to eliminate some reboot problems I've been having. I got the PSU from <A HREF="http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=PS-FS500A" target="_new">here</A>.

This PSU is supposed to have two 12 volt rails, but I can't figure out which power cables are from which rail. The PSU has 1 cable with a 24 pin connecter, 1 cable with a 4 pin connector, 1 cable with a 6 pin connector, 1 cable with 2 SATA power connectors, 1 cable with 1 floppy power connector and 2 4-pin connectors, and 2 cables with 3 4-pin connectors.

None of the connectors are labelled regarding which 12V rail they belong to. I'm still getting random reboots, and I need some help. Thanks.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Your thinking isnt exactly on track here. You just plug the connectors in where they are supposed to go. Make sure you have the 4 pin pluged in and if you have a video card that requires a power conection make sure that is done. Sounds like your problem is not the PSU. We need alot more info if we are going to be able to help.

To save us both time, assume I know EVERYTHING :tongue:

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
The vast series of problems I am having can be seen in my post "Random Reboots, what to check?" in the CPU forum.

Perhaps I do have a misunderstand when it comes to what "two 12 V rails" means. To me, that means that some of the cables are run off of one 12 V rail, and other cables are run off of the other. Is that not the case? If not, please correct me, because my computer has just gotten totally screwed up.

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
I presume you are referring to this line:
"A 'Rail' - Power is supplied as a number of different DC voltage lines. 12V, 5V, 3.3V etc. These voltage lines are called 'Rails'."

I don't believe that answers my question, so I will re-state it.

Does dual 12V rails mean some of the power cables coming from the PSU are supplied by one 12V rail, and other cables supplied by the other 12V rail? Or is each cable somehow supported by both rails?

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I think the real answer here is "no one knows except the mfg."

However, I think based on what I've read about the need for separate 12v rails, that the mobo cables (the 12v wires of course) run off one 12v rail (that would be the 20/24pin, the 4pin square and possibly the 6pin) , and the hdd/fdd cables are run off the other (all the others).

This is a guess however, so I could be wrong.

Mike.

PS: So, I suppose the response that said something like 'just plug them in where they belong and it's all set' was the right way to do it.