I have a problem with a slow launch of my profile under Windows XP on my
wife's computer.

I installed SP2 a couple of weeks ago, after which I had the same problem at
the time. I tried disabling all services under msconfig and found things
launched fine. Then by trial and error I found that if all services EXCEPT
Shell Hardware Detection were enabled, I had no problem.

A week or so later I had problem with AdAware getting hung up and found that
I wasn't alone. CCleaner seemed to fix that problem.

Then yesterday, as she tried to use the "Send to" function (to copy a file
to a
removable drive device), it locked up. Once I rebooted, the same slow
Windows launch problem reoccurred, even though Shell Hardware Detection was
still disabled. Send to has also caused a lock-up earlier in the week.

Here's the odd part. I fixed it by disabling all services and going through
the same drill, only
to find that again, once Shell Hardware Detection was disabled, I launched
fine.

It seems that there may be relationship between using the Send to
button causing this slow (4:00+) launch of her personal settings from the
Log
on screen.

Would it make sense to try reinstalling Windows or at least using the
"detect and
repair" function if it has one. I'm leery as I've never reinstalled Windows
and we can't find her original XP CD. Would one form a newer comuter work?

I've also noticed that this process I go through to try to find the problem
causes my fonts to change. For example, when I ran spell check for this
message, the "Ignore," "Change" and other buttons were too small for the
enlarged font.

Any thoughts?

Bob (for my wife Karla)

HI *Karla Leavelle* :

> I have a problem with a slow launch of my profile under Windows XP on my
> wife's computer.

Only your profile or all profiles or the boot process itself and at which
moment?
(after Power on Self Test, at the "Wellcome screen", or...)

> I installed SP2 a couple of weeks ago, after which I had the same problem at
> the time.

So the problem is not related to the sp2 but exist before this upgrade ...
Did I'm right ?

> I tried disabling all services under msconfig and found things
> launched fine. Then by trial and error I found that if all services EXCEPT
> Shell Hardware Detection were enabled, I had no problem.

Disable *all* services ??? ( Want to kill off W xp ?)

Did you update the drivers for the SP2 ?

> A week or so later I had problem with AdAware getting hung up and found that
> I wasn't alone. CCleaner seemed to fix that problem.

How ?

> Then yesterday, as she tried to use the "Send to" function (to copy a file
> to a
> removable drive device), it locked up. Once I rebooted, the same slow
> Windows launch problem reoccurred, even though Shell Hardware Detection was
> still disabled. Send to has also caused a lock-up earlier in the week.

To fix this you have to stop Shell Hardware Detection service
and start it again...
If this doesn't work there are some other fixes...

> Here's the odd part. I fixed it by disabling all services and going through
> the same drill, only
> to find that again, once Shell Hardware Detection was disabled, I launched
> fine.

Ouch ! Some services are mandatory !

And they must be controlled by services.msc not msconfig ...

Start | Run | services.msc ...

> It seems that there may be relationship between using the Send to
> button causing this slow (4:00+) launch of her personal settings from the
> Log
> on screen.
>
> Would it make sense to try reinstalling Windows or at least using the
> "detect and
> repair" function if it has one. I'm leery as I've never reinstalled Windows
> and we can't find her original XP CD. Would one form a newer comuter work?

To repair Windows XP with sfc or an other mean you must have the W xp CD .
With the sp2 installed the best solution is to make a new CD including the
SP2 with a procedure called "Slip Streaming"...

Reinstalling W xp is not a solution in 99.9% of time...

> I've also noticed that this process I go through to try to find the problem
> causes my fonts to change. For example, when I ran spell check for this
> message, the "Ignore," "Change" and other buttons were too small for the
> enlarged font.
>
> Any thoughts?

Many. (May be too much : my brain is boiling !)
;-) But that's fine : your brain will boiling too after reading my post ;-)

Most of the time it's possible to recover normal performances
by removing malwares and some useless "utilities"...

*Check first the point # 11 A) Some tools and links:*
*Then the point # 4 and # 5*

*Make a scan with HijackThis and post the scan log here*.
I'll check it and tell you what bad or useless things you
have to remove or disable.

http://www.merijn.org/downloads.html

Check list for maintenance :

A)

1- Set explorer to use à different process (multi-threads):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
Create this key:

DesktopProcess
Reg_DWord
value 1

2- Change the Windows priority separation :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PriorityControl
Create this key :

Win32PrioritySeparation
Reg_DWord
Value 26 in HEX

B)

A good maintenance of W xp is required from time to time.

Here some hints:

1- Use chkdsk to check the integrity of your hard disk:

Windows explorer | right click on disk icon |
properties | tab "tools" | "check errors" | check both options
ok and restart your computer

or

Start | Run | cmd | chkdsk X: /F /V ,
Where X= disk volume

For the results un applications log:
Souce : Winlogon
ID : 1001

2) Clean the temporary files:

Start | Run | cleanmgr.exe
or with your CCleaner or ButtUgly's CleanCache
(and take care of whats you're doing with those tools...)

3) Defrag the volumes of the HD :

Start | Run | Defrag.msc

For multiple volume defrag use this:
http://www.dougknox.com/utility/scripts_desc/defrag_all.htm

4) Check devices and drivers and upgrade them if needed

Start | Run | devmgmt.msc

Devices error codes:
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?kbid=310123

To find the drivers check the manufacturer links in Everest.
The drivers must comes from the manufacturer and nobody else...

5) Check the errors and warnings messages in the system and applications
logs

and , if needed, fix those problem as soon as possible. Some "errors"
messages are not important and can be ignored. Ask in new groups and
make some seach at Event ID site and with Google...

Start | Run | eventvwr.msc

Hints for Event IDs:
http://www.eventid.net/

6) Check the services configuration:

The mandatories services must be started and in automatic mode
The others in manual...or disabled....

More info on W xp services:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm
if you understand french:
http://climenole.serendipia.net/archives/3-La-Configuration-des-Services-de-Windows-XP.html
(english version soon...)

7) Check the applications started at boot and keep them
to the minimum.

instead of using msconfig used Starter from CodeStuff...
http://codestuff.mirrorz.com/

Check for applications in your account and All users
(from an admin account...)

8) Control what's running on that PC with those tools:

Process Explorer :
(an enhanced Task Manager!)
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

9) Defrag the protected files ( Registry , hiberfil.sys, Pagefile.sys etc.)

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml

10) Optimize the prefetching

Run this command :
%windir%\system32\Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
usefull only when the computer is idle...
The service Task Scheduler must be running and in automatic mode.
Check this value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory
Management\PrefetchParameters
The key EnablePrefetcher REG_DWORD must be set to 3.

11) Safe & Cool ...

A)
Keep your system free of malwares (virus, worms,spywares, etc.)

If you understand french:
http://climenole.serendipia.net/archives/5-Quelques-liens-utiles-pour-la-securite-de-Windows-XP.html
(english version soon...)

Check your firewall configuration and make sure your PC is "stealth":
www.grc.com
Run the "Shields Up" test .Everythings must be "green" ...

Update frequently your anti-virus and your anti-spywares.
( MS Anti-spyware, SpyBot S&D, Ad-Aware, Spyware Blaster and
Spyware Guard... more than one is better since no one are 100% reliable...)

And check if the AV is set to protect your PC "On Access"
(in the so-called "real-time") not only "on demand" ( scan
runned after the problem...)

Used an alternate Internet Browser and keep IE
only for Windows updates and MS specific stuff.
By alternate I mean :
Firefox or Opera (not Maxthon, Avant etc.)

Avoid to surf on the Web from an administrator account.

You have to "feed" your HOSTS file :

What is an Hosts file :
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/dictionary/hostsfile.html

The hosts from MVPs:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/
Frequent updates and documented...

Tools for Hosts :

HostToggle:
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/HostsToggle/
and/or
WinPatrol:(good also for other insteresting stuff...)
http://www.winpatrol.com/download.htm

*Some tools and links*:

"Mini- antivirus" to be runned in safe mode:

Stinger :
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Avast cleaner :

MS:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ad724ae0-e72d-4f54-9ab3-75b8eb148356&displaylang=fr

Kaspersky:
ftp://ftp.kaspersky.ru/utils/clrav.com

Anti Root-Kits
F-Secure (beta)
http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/

Online scan:

Anti-trojan:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/

Anti-spy:
http://www.spywareguide.com/txt_onlinescan.html
http://store.ca.com/dr/v2/ec_main.entry25?page=FindOutWhosWatchingYou&client=ComputerAssociates&sid=35715&CID=181432

Anti-virus:
www.trendmicro.com

B)
Keep your PC free of dust and check the temperatures with those tools:

Everest:
http://www.lavalys.com/

Remark:
Very good software but the warnings about the Bios
and the commercial links to that stuff are useless...

Bios upgrades *if needed* must comes from the PC manufacturer
or the Motherboard manufacturer and nobody else.
(Not needed most of the time : don't worry about this..)

SpeedFan
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Remark:
Good software but the temperatures of the hard disk are not
reported correctly and most of the time not related to the disk
reliability.
Better info from Everest...

No more idea....

Let us know...(and post your HijackThis log...)

Did your brain is boiling now ? ;-)

:)
--
Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :)

«My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»
Lemuel Gulliver, The Travels (IV:12)
http://climenole.serendipia.net
Soon on www.msmvps.com
Bientôt sur www.msmvps.com

OK. Rather than wait six weeks, which is the time I may need to respond to
all your suggestions, here are a few easy answers. See below.

Bob (Karla's worst half)

"Claude LaFrenière" <No_InterNUT@AntiPebkac.org> wrote in message
> [...]

> Very good software but the warnings about the Bios
> and the commercial links to that stuff are useless...
>
> Bios upgrades *if needed* must comes from the PC manufacturer
> or the Motherboard manufacturer and nobody else.
> (Not needed most of the time : don't worry about this..)
>
> SpeedFan
> http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
>
> Remark:
> Good software but the temperatures of the hard disk are not
> reported correctly and most of the time not related to the disk
> reliability.
> Better info from Everest...
>
> No more idea....
>
> Let us know...(and post your HijackThis log...)
>
> Did your brain is boiling now ? ;-)
>
> :)
> --
> Claude LaFrenière [MVP] :)
>
> «My Principal Design Was To Inform, Not To Amuse Thee.»

Hi *Bob Griendling* :

> OK. Rather than wait six weeks, which is the time I may need to respond to
> all your suggestions, here are a few easy answers. See below.

So the problem happen with all profiles, happen after the sp2 upgrade
and you're *convinced* that's related.Drivers was updated and essential
services are running...

You don't want to follow *any* of my suggestions (which, for the most part,
are the normal maintenance routines in Windows XP) and you're waiting for
an immediate solution... (right now!) :-D

This out of the scope of my knowledge and power.

Try Holy water, George W. Bush or God.

There:
http://www.whitehouse.org/

:-D