Press F1 to continue

I just put a new Hard drive into a computer that I got for free, got XP
installed and activated, but each time I start, there is the first boot
screen that lists the processor, ram etc and it ends wtih "press F1 to
continue".

I have an Intel Motherboard and I've been through the BIOS setup and changed
a few things but nothing makes this prompt go away. When I press F1 it boots
just fine but I'd rather not have that step.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Jeff
3 answers Last reply
More about press continue

    Jeff wrote:
    > I just put a new Hard drive into a computer that I got for free, got
    > XP installed and activated, but each time I start, there is the first
    > boot screen that lists the processor, ram etc and it ends wtih "press
    > F1 to continue".
    >
    > I have an Intel Motherboard and I've been through the BIOS setup and
    > changed a few things but nothing makes this prompt go away. When I
    > press F1 it boots just fine but I'd rather not have that step.

    Something - I am unsure what - is not right in your BIOS/setup.
    What happens if you write down all of the settings in the BIOS (that you
    know you need to remember) and reset the BIOS to defaults..?

    If the message goes away - something you set is wrong. heh

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    Thanks,

    I tried that and it didn't work. Any ideas where the fault might lie?

    Jeff

    "Shenan Stanley" wrote:

    > Jeff wrote:
    > > I just put a new Hard drive into a computer that I got for free, got
    > > XP installed and activated, but each time I start, there is the first
    > > boot screen that lists the processor, ram etc and it ends wtih "press
    > > F1 to continue".
    > >
    > > I have an Intel Motherboard and I've been through the BIOS setup and
    > > changed a few things but nothing makes this prompt go away. When I
    > > press F1 it boots just fine but I'd rather not have that step.
    >
    > Something - I am unsure what - is not right in your BIOS/setup.
    > What happens if you write down all of the settings in the BIOS (that you
    > know you need to remember) and reset the BIOS to defaults..?
    >
    > If the message goes away - something you set is wrong. heh
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP

    Set the BIOS to boot from Hard Disk 0 and disable the rest of the boot
    devices. Also disable the "Enable Search For Floppy Drive" settings.

Windows XP