Incorrect space allocation on hard drive

I've seen a couple posts about this problem and they lead to a microsoft page
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315688, but I'm not a computer wiz that
totally understands that. I don't seem to see any sort of "fix". Would
repairing the XP installation fix the problem? If not, what would?....in
english.

Thanks

Kameraman wrote:
> I've seen a couple posts about this problem and they lead to a
> microsoft page http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315688, but I'm not
> a computer wiz that totally understands that. I don't seem to see
> any sort of "fix". Would repairing the XP installation fix the
> problem? If not, what would?....in english.

I guess you have looked to see what might be using up all of your space?
Can you describe what you are seeing that leads you to believe you needed to
refer to the article given above?
Have you turned off system restore and ran a disk cleanup, CHKDSK and a
defrag (in that order)?
(Turn back on System Restore afterwards - perhaps be a bit more limiting
on how much space it is allowed.)
If you use something like "SequoiaView" and scan your drive (the one with
the issue) - do you find any large visible areas that you could remove? (
http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/ )

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

I have tried the disk clean up, chkdsk and chkdsk /f, I have not defragged
because I was afraid to. I didn't want to do that until I knew what was
causing it.